Anyone using Castrol multi-import ATF?

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
Chiadog

Anyone using Castrol multi-import ATF?

Post by Chiadog »

I've been a big Castrol fan ever since finding it to be the only brand of engine oil that came out of my air cooled VW bug still looking like oil, not thin like water! So i would like to switch to castrol Multi-import ATF on my "new" 2005 base Vibe. It meets T-4 and many more specs. Any input?

Also, has anyone "timed" the vibe tranny pump rate at idle engine speed? I'd like to run the engine at idle long enough to circulate 3.2 qts. between drain plug dumps! This would minimize contaminating new ATF with the old AFT. Any ideas on this plan? I have never tried this before.
thank you,
Chiadog
Salsa Guy

Re: Anyone using Castrol multi-import ATF?

Post by Salsa Guy »

Castrol makes fine products and have used their motor oils for years. However I know nothing about their tranny fluids. Most people use either AMSoil, redline or Purple on these toyota transmissions.
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
djkeev

Post by djkeev »

Salsa Guy wrote:?.......... Most people use either AMSoil, redline or Purple on these toyota transmissions.
That's quite a statement! You of course have hard data to back this statement up with? I KNOW that The people in my admittedly small world of friends that run "these Toyota" transmissions are using the proper Toyota issued T IV transmission oil.

In my opinion and my general view on things, whenever I see the term "multi" in the description of a product, it immediately tells me that it is NOT 100% correct for any ONE application and is simply MOSTLY correct for a number of applications, one is accepting a level of compromises if you choose to use the product.

Dave
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
Canker

Post by Canker »

I just put the Castrol stuff in mine last month and no problems so far. Mine has 200k miles on it and the fluid looks like it hasn't been changed ever. I just changed what was in the pan and will do that at least one more time when I changed the oil again.
03 Pontiac Vibe95 Mazda Miata
Mariachi

Post by Mariachi »

I am using Castrol as well. Have been for quite some time now. Have 126k miles and changed 3 times already. No issues here.
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

djkeev wrote:
Salsa Guy wrote:?.......... Most people use either AMSoil, redline or Purple on these toyota transmissions.
That's quite a statement! You of course have hard data to back this statement up with? I KNOW that The people in my admittedly small world of friends that run "these Toyota" transmissions are using the proper Toyota issued T IV transmission oil.
Ok I'll recant that. The products that I have mentioned are very popular aftermarket fluids and especially those who add performance products to their cars. I believe Toyota puts it's brand on a very good product and also think Castrol, in general puts, out very good products. However like Dave mentioned I stay away from multi-use ATF products.
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

WOW, I found Genuine Toyota type 4 ATF at my local wisconsin carquest parts store $5.49 per quart. So, I'll be using that for my ATF swap.
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Good product and can't go wrong.