Cabin Air Filter Replacement

Upholstery, floor mats, seats, window tint and anything inside the vehicle and not electronic
LocDog

Cabin Air Filter Replacement

Post by LocDog »

Well its the time again...I took out the air filter behind the glove compartment and it's pretty filthy.. I looked around auto stores but could only find replacements at the pontiac part dep.... for like $31!I cant pay that much for such a flimzy filter, if neone has replaced their's or know where to get one... please reply
-aBySS Monotone Vibe-Auto Everything (I wanted a manual)-Moons and Tunes-No Badges-No Lateral Bars-Sony CDX-M730 Head Unit-200w PPI Amp Powering a 12" MTX Sub-9 1/2'' Stainless Steel Trumpet Air Horn-Spare Bridgestone Blizzaks Mounted on the Cheapest Steel Rims Ever
msmyer

Re: Cabin Air Filter Replacement (LocDog)

Post by msmyer »

The place where I get my car done at says NAPA carries ALL Vibe/Matrix filters! But I can't say for sure! http://www.napaonline.com/cgi-bin/ncomm ... d2w/report Try there!
‘03 Vibe with 317k and still going.............................

Other Mods: Sony X-Plod Headunit & Reflective White GVC decalMy Car at Cardomain.com... http://www.cardomain.com/id/msmyer
philndz

Re: Cabin Air Filter Replacement (msmyer)

Post by philndz »

TOYOTA!now....im not sure if i ended up w/ the right part....my dealer said it would be $35 so i went to toyota dealership and paid $23 but it was about a 1/4 inch to long...oh well it still fit in alright i just squashed the end a little...no big deal for a part that isnt even required in the car.
2003 Shadow Vibe Base 5spd - 53,000 MilesFlowmaster 60 series exhaust - Short Ram Intake SystemKonig Kaliber 17x7 Rims w/ 225-45-17 Kumho Ecsta 711's - Hotchkis Springs - Progress Rear anti-sway Bar My Vibe is FOR SALE: $8900
scherry2

Re: Cabin Air Filter Replacement (philndz)

Post by scherry2 »

LOL I would have cut the 1/4 inch off
philndz

Re: Cabin Air Filter Replacement (scherry2)

Post by philndz »

quote:LOL I would have cut the 1/4 inch off You know when i shoved it in and the 1/4 inch was sticking out i thought i'd better slice it off a little....then i was overcome by my lazy side and i flipped the lid for the compartment up and squished it all in there....hehe...it works!my question is.....WHY WAS IT 1/4 INCH TOO BIG??? I asked for the one for the Matrix...was i given the wrong part or is the matrix different?
2003 Shadow Vibe Base 5spd - 53,000 MilesFlowmaster 60 series exhaust - Short Ram Intake SystemKonig Kaliber 17x7 Rims w/ 225-45-17 Kumho Ecsta 711's - Hotchkis Springs - Progress Rear anti-sway Bar My Vibe is FOR SALE: $8900
Vibe Rater

Post by Vibe Rater »

Matrix could be a little different. The Instrument Panels may be sourced from two different suppliers. The Matrix is assembled in Canada, while the Vibe is American made. The factories are a continent apart. The IP's are a major component, completely sub assembled and shipped to the assembly plant in sequence, ready to install in the car. It would make sense to have the supplier close by.
Psychobroker

Re: Cabin Air Filter Replacement (Vibe Rater)

Post by Psychobroker »

Last time I checked, Canada and USA share the same continent (North America) .
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

$31???I PAID $60!!!!
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
3.6L V6 (256 HP @ 6300 rpm, 248 ft-lbs. @ 2100 rpm)
philndz

Re: Cabin Air Filter Replacement (ragingfish)

Post by philndz »

quote:$31???I PAID $60!!!!WOW!!! you paid $37 more than I did! eh-hem...RIPOFF!!! I woulddefinately confront them on that one...maybe even demand a refund and take your business elsewhere.....(think toyota)
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

This was months ago...not gonna turn around now and raise hell...
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
philndz

Post by philndz »

quote:This was months ago...not gonna turn around now and raise hell...Thats reasonable....good call
etoop

Re: Cabin Air Filter Replacement (Psychobroker)

Post by etoop »

quote:Last time I checked, Canada and USA share the same continent (North America) .I was laughing and thinking the same thing
~Eric2004 Base SalsaAutomaticTwo TonePower PackageM & T Package
LocDog

Post by LocDog »

$60?!?! damn i thought $31 was too much for that flimzy little thing. who did u buy it from?
-aBySS Monotone Vibe-Auto Everything (I wanted a manual)-Moons and Tunes-No Badges-No Lateral Bars-Sony CDX-M730 Head Unit-200w PPI Amp Powering a 12" MTX Sub-9 1/2'' Stainless Steel Trumpet Air Horn-Spare Bridgestone Blizzaks Mounted on the Cheapest Steel Rims Ever
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

quote:$60?!?! damn i thought $31 was too much for that flimzy little thing. who did u buy it from? Just told the dealer "check the cabin filter, if it needs replacing, do it." I assumed it couldn't be more than $20 or $30!!! BUT $60????

2009 PONTIAC G8
retiredfields

Post by retiredfields »

When its time to replace mine, I'll go to Home Depot and get a home heater filter for $2, cut it down to the right size, put some foam around the edges and slip it in. $31 is absurd!
ragingfish

Re: Cabin Air Filter Replacement (retiredfields)

Post by ragingfish »

quote:When its time to replace mine, I'll go to Home Depot and get a home heater filter for $2, cut it down to the right size, put some foam around the edges and slip it in. $31 is absurd!Agreed. Target and WalMart sell them too, probably even cheaper!

2009 PONTIAC G8
kaybeejay

Post by kaybeejay »

After nearly 13 months, I finally changed mines (Not on my Vibe, but on my Xterra)In case anyone wanted to know what they look like after 13 months.http://community.webshots.com/photo/335 ... 5436RxTBqw (pics)
2003 Shadow Vibe GT and 2001 Nissan Xterra 4x4
AKLGT

Re: Cabin Air Filter Replacement (kaybeejay)

Post by AKLGT »

how many miles are you waiting before you change those?
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
Vibe Rater

Re: Cabin Air Filter Replacement (etoop)

Post by Vibe Rater »

I was refering to the 'width' of the continent, but I'm happy you had a little fun with it.
LocDog

Re: Cabin Air Filter Replacement (kaybeejay)

Post by LocDog »

Yea mine looks like that too... its been in there for 17 months..I have a hepa filter in my house filter... im thinkin about modding thAT...
coratz

Re: Cabin Air Filter Replacement (silverawd26)

Post by coratz »

changed mine today, now my heater/ ac is making a funny noice with the blower on med and full blastet, losts of more flow though? any suggestions, are your vibes genraly noisey on full blast??????
cieglo

Post by cieglo »

Quote, originally posted by LocDog »Well its the time again...I took out the air filter behind the glove compartment and it's pretty filthy.. I just cleaned mine with the hose, scrubbed out the icky bits, sprayed it with bleach, rinsed it, hit it with some febreeze for a clean cabin smell and put it back it. that was when I bought the car with 25000miles on it. Took it off 3 months later (last week) wiped out bits, sprayed the febreeze on it and put it back in.And that's the end of my post.
Vibe GT '03, Lava Red 2-tone, 16" wheels, Moon'n'Tunes, Injen CAI, ACT clutch, vented rotors, Tein coil- overs, Grafxwerks decals, lead foot on the gas and white-knuckled fist on the stick & Hankook RS-3 for AutoX http://noraracing.net/
coratz

Re: Cabin Air Filter Replacement (cieglo)

Post by coratz »

but, when you replaced the cabin air filter or take it out totatly did you notice an increase in blower noise??? my vibes ac/ heater is genraly much noiser on med/full blast now that i changed/ or remove the filter / i dont want to look like a total idiot if i bring it to the dealer. are your vibes noisey with the heater.ac on med or full blast
cieglo

Re: Cabin Air Filter Replacement (coratz)

Post by cieglo »

No, not too much noise...but sometimes you get what you pay for:The last time I cleaned and descented my filter, I broke the little door that holds the filter in and had to put it back together with, you guessed it: duct tape!
Vibe GT '03, Lava Red 2-tone, 16" wheels, Moon'n'Tunes, Injen CAI, ACT clutch, vented rotors, Tein coil- overs, Grafxwerks decals, lead foot on the gas and white-knuckled fist on the stick & Hankook RS-3 for AutoX http://noraracing.net/
Bobtronique

Post by Bobtronique »

It's normal to hear some noises after the filter replacement. All durt remains on the top of it during usage. At the moment you remove it, filter has to pass through a narrow slit. Some debris coulb be wiped into the fan opening while you are doing that manoeuver. Unfortunately, those debris are difficult to remove from the fan duct.The solution to avoid noisy fan then, is to open the fan duct itself. Let me say, it's a nice job to do...Best advise: Be very careful when you are removing the old filter.
"The most beautiful thing the Univers has created is an observer that hasan eye on it." Hubert Reeves, canadian astrophysicianUsed Vibe GT '03 Satellite...crashed and repaired! I did not get into orbit, but, still piloting my rocket!
Mrizzle05

Post by Mrizzle05 »

Man looking at what others paid and other filters look like... Pheeew! i was gonna get a new filter for $55 and jiffylube... cuz the dealer sells them for "$90" according to the guy!!!! well needless to say 55 bucks is really outrageous for some fiberglass filters.so im looking to go to toyota or targhetto!Oh and ill post a pic of what a 26K filter looks like!!!
Must resist.... V... Tec.... Temptation... to strong... "WARNING: Genvibe is a very addictive website... constant use can result in car modification and a lowering of your bank account. use with extreme caution!http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2298639
zionzr2

Re: Cabin Air Filter Replacement (Mrizzle05)

Post by zionzr2 »

Quote, originally posted by Mrizzle05 »Man looking at what others paid and other filters look like... Pheeew! i was gonna get a new filter for $55 and jiffylube... cuz the dealer sells them for "$90" according to the guy!!!! well needless to say 55 bucks is really outrageous for some fiberglass filters.so im looking to go to toyota or targhetto!Oh and ill post a pic of what a 26K filter looks like!!! THe Toyota Filter is NOT the same one!!!!This is specephic to the vibe only! It even says Delphi on the stock filter.there is the guy in Canada selling an exact replacement for about $12/US ea. Available here: http://www.cgenterprises.com/Order 4+ shipping is free. Othere wise Reglar Mail shipment is $4.50/US http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=11745
the1stacekiller

Re: Cabin Air Filter Replacement (zionzr2)

Post by the1stacekiller »

I ordered two from http://cgenterprises.com/cabin...c.htmThey came in the mail 2-3 days later.. its like $12...It looks and feels exactly the same as stock.. and fits perfectly..Cheers
- 2004 Pontiac Vibe Base 2 Tone Grey Goodness -
Mrizzle05

Re: Cabin Air Filter Replacement (the1stacekiller)

Post by Mrizzle05 »

thanks guys... ill check that out
Must resist.... V... Tec.... Temptation... to strong... "WARNING: Genvibe is a very addictive website... constant use can result in car modification and a lowering of your bank account. use with extreme caution!http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2298639
Mrizzle05

Re: Cabin Air Filter Replacement (Mrizzle05)

Post by Mrizzle05 »

just ordered my two... cheaper then the 55 dollar quote the jerk at jiffy lube gave me!thanks guys
liquidsteel

Post by liquidsteel »

I have 62000 miles on my 2005 AWD (with moon & tunes package) and decided I needed to change that filter. So I search out the item on ebay:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...photoThen I decided to search on this awesome site to find out how to replace it.
keithvibe

Re: Cabin Air Filter Replacement (liquidsteel)

Post by keithvibe »

we got a group buy going on MO if you come to the boston meet.the filters will cost ya 5bucks each. From the very same web pageone could do the same here to set up a group buy if people really want to save a few bucks.
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
Tomkat1971

Post by Tomkat1971 »

I got mine on ebay. It was 8 bucks with shipping
djkeev

Post by djkeev »

Be carefully when you pull the old one out. Debris on the top can fall down into the fan blower blades and cause an imbalance and a really weird noise that doesn't go away.I had to drop the fan motor (not really hard but a pain) and remove the debris from the filter which was only 1 single leaf!!Hard to not have it happen with how it is designed but thought I'd post a heads up about it and the result.Dave
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
BrettZ

Re: (djkeev)

Post by BrettZ »

Quote, originally posted by djkeev »Be carefully when you pull the old one out. Debris on the top can fall down into the fan blower blades and cause an imbalance and a really weird noise that doesn't go away.I had to drop the fan motor (not really hard but a pain) and remove the debris from the filter which was only 1 single leaf!!Hard to not have it happen with how it is designed but thought I'd post a heads up about it and the result.DaveThis happenned to me the first time I changed mine, I have no idea when it was done prior. However I find it less of an issue if the filter is changed on a regular basis. I usually empty it after 6 months and change it after a year.
Everything that we see is a shadow cast by that which we do not see. - Martin Luther King, Jr.
enfield577

Re: (BrettZ)

Post by enfield577 »

I bought an STP CAF1816P for $13.99 from AutoZone. The STP book listed it as the cabin air filter for both the Vibe and Matrix (2009). It is the same size and shape as the stock filter that came out, and fit the same going in. Lots cheaper than the stock filter.
2009 Vibe GT Red Hot Metallic 2.4L
Garage - viewtopic.php?t=34799
vibenvy

Re: (enfield577)

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by enfield577 »I bought an STP CAF1816P for $13.99 from AutoZone. The STP book listed it as the cabin air filter for both the Vibe and Matrix (2009). It is the same size and shape as the stock filter that came out, and fit the same going in. Lots cheaper than the stock filter.Good to know Geoff .Next time I replace ours, I think I'm going to give the charcoal filled ones that they sell at CarQuest a try. vibedrivermatt has one and he said it fits fine and was around $20.00. I replaced ours a couple months ago and I just went ahead and bought one from the local Toyota dealer and got the other one through TRD Sparks when I ordered the 10 pack of oil filters. The one from the dealer was around $20.00, but GM marks them up big time so I definitely don't recommend any '09-'10 owners buying them from a GM dealer .
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

Rockauto.com has a 1st gen filter by ATP for $4.05, and 2nd gen filters by Wix for $9.89.
1997 Civic EX sedan w/auto trans2001 Accord EX sedan w/5-spd manual2009 Vibe 2.4L w/5-spd manual, sunroof, monsoon, GT spoiler, Magnaflow muffler and rolled SS tip, lowered on H-Tech springs, window tint, debadged (save the red arrow!).
cythraul

Post by cythraul »

I just bought 2 of these from eBay...http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...40895
2007 Vibe 1.8L Automatic 185K, B&M 70264 Transmission Cooler, Custom 2" hitch receiver.
harryyiii

Amazon Filter

Post by harryyiii »

Bought from Amazon:Amazon.com items (Sold by Amazon.com, LLC) : 1 FRAM CF10374 Fresh Breeze ... $15.41 1 $15.41Has carbon impregnation. Free shipping on orders over $25.00Was my first filter change since new (2005), old filter was discusting.
DoubleBaril

Post by DoubleBaril »

Changed mine on Saturday, and it looked like it was probably the original one from 2003, now with 120,000 kms
2003 Vibe AWD
liquidsteel

Post by liquidsteel »

My advice is to always remove the blower assembly before replacing the filter. I chose not to, and debris fell into the blower motor and eventually destroyed it. Had to replace the blower motor on a freezing new years day several years ago. Byt it's very easy to remove the motor.
Bastranz

Re: Amazon Filter (harryyiii)

Post by Bastranz »

Quote, originally posted by harryyiii »Bought from Amazon:Amazon.com items (Sold by Amazon.com, LLC) : 1 FRAM CF10374 Fresh Breeze ... $15.41 1 $15.41Has carbon impregnation. Free shipping on orders over $25.00Was my first filter change since new (2005), old filter was discusting.Have you noticed a fresher smell in your Vibe with this filter? When I first changed my filter, there was an odd musty smell, but that has gone away thankfully!
Owner of the first official "Brando-mobile", the "Silver Streak". 2003 Base Vibe, FWD.
Moved into the next generation, what's new is "Azúl" 2010 2.4 Vibe, AWD
harryyiii

Re: Amazon Filter (Bastranz)

Post by harryyiii »

I couldn't smell anything before with the dead bugs and pine needles in the filter, or after when clean. Not much sense of smell, I guess.
Capt.Vibe

Post by Capt.Vibe »

Anyone know where to get the filters for the 09/10's for a reasonable price in Quebec?
2010 Red Hot Metallic 1SA
Zimm

Post by Zimm »

i replaced the filter in my '10 yesterday. after 2 years/22,500 miles, it was pretty nasty.got my wix filter for around $12 at o'riliey's.
'10 Black w/1.8L AutoAir/PW/PL/PM
Pujon

Post by Pujon »

http://www.rockauto.com/catalo...78474found this one and others on rock auto. Do I want the carbon activated or not? anyone used rockauto ?
liquidsteel

Re: Cabin Air Filter Replacement (Pujon)

Post by liquidsteel »

I'm not sure about buying the carbon filter or the regular. But I love Rock Auto! I can always find parts for my Vibe faster thru them.
alex_nrv

Post by alex_nrv »

The FRAM FreshBreeze aren't available in Quebec (probably not even in Canada)...This august, I made a trip to NYC and on the way back, I stopped in a WalMart in order to get some stuff that isn't available in Canada, including a FRAM FreshScent filter.The Pontiac Vibes 2009+ were NOT in the books! I had already checked the part number at home sometime ago, but I had forgotten it... so I asked about the Toyota Matrix 2009 and they had the fitting part for the US model. He gave me the part number and I was like: "THAT'S IT, this is the one, I remember now!"p/n CF10285.Before opening the sealed bag, I made sure they were both identical and they were.Finally! I now have a brand new filter that does more than just filter debrits!It was something like 18$+tx.
matrixjim

Post by matrixjim »

They have for under $4 each, + shippinghttp://www.logical-source.com/default.htmlbuy in qty to save$$