Need 12v in back for subwoofer

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
YoYo

Need 12v in back for subwoofer

Post by YoYo »

Is there already a 12v line somewhere in the back that I can tap into for my subwoofer amp? I really don't want to have to go in from the battery. Its only a 20amp sub (infinity basslink).Any ideas?
Black 03 Vibe GT 6spd
Sub-Vibe-R

Re: Need 12v in back for subwoofer (YoYo)

Post by Sub-Vibe-R »

It should have some 12v wire in the back of the Vibe but I doubt the stock wiring will handle the extra power asked by your subwoofer.They safier way to do it is to run a cable from the battery to the trunk. And if you want to upgrade your amp. one day, the wire will be already installed.
YoYo

Re: Need 12v in back for subwoofer (Sub-Vibe-R)

Post by YoYo »

ok
Black 03 Vibe GT 6spd
threekrows

Post by threekrows »

I agree with Sub--the best thing is go off the battery.Most amp wiring kits come with a grommet so you can make a hole in the firewall and run your wire under the interior trim.I work in a dealership and it makes me sick sometimes to see an amp wire as big as your thumb pinched in the door hinges...I even had one that had the amp battery feed ran UNDER the car,this brainiac had even removed the fuse and had a bolt wrapped in aluminum foil in the fuseholder.Anyway...do it right,it looks and works better...BTW,how do those basslinks sound?
YoYo

Re: Need 12v in back for subwoofer (threekrows)

Post by YoYo »

It didn't come with a power wire, so I used some 18 gauge and ran a line myself. Put an inline fuse at the battery, then ran the line back through the fender well, under the door sills, and back to the trunk area. No pinch-points, but you can see about 2 inches of it at the middle-inside of the driver door. I'll check it periodically to make sure it doesn't get frayed (but the fuse at the battery will catch anything if it shorts).I'm very happy with the basslink. Its exactly the perfect size for the Vibe. It bolts just perfectly (in upright setting) to the back deck lid. You can sit open that lid to get at the tire no problem. Its compact and self-contained back there so its a very minimal impact on the utility. I love the variety of inputs it supports. I ran the powered-level inputs back to the rear speaker hookups (inside the door post in the middle there) and spliced them in. Those + the power line and its ready to go. I also ran a line up front at that time for its remote volume control (hooked it up but not sure where I want to mount the nob yet). It sounds really good. Depending on where you want to adjust the variable crossover and the type of music you play - you can have just a subtle deep throb under everything, or a window-rattleing thump that pounds away. At the same time I replaced the front speakers with some Rockford Fosgate components. Mid-base 6.5 in the door + tweeters mounted up high in the door corner (put the crossovers inside the door itself). Once done with the whole thing, I'm very happy with it. Its like it turned the whole car into a set of headphones. I'll take some pictures later this week and post them up.
Black 03 Vibe GT 6spd
LocDog

Post by LocDog »

I ran my line the same way... but it kinda pinches where it comes out from the fender and goes into the dash, nothing serious tho.The wire is a little smalled than my pinky, not sure of the gauge cuz i got it from my bro-inlaw.Wat problems would this cause?
-aBySS Monotone Vibe-Auto Everything (I wanted a manual)-Moons and Tunes-No Badges-No Lateral Bars-Sony CDX-M730 Head Unit-200w PPI Amp Powering a 12" MTX Sub-9 1/2'' Stainless Steel Trumpet Air Horn-Spare Bridgestone Blizzaks Mounted on the Cheapest Steel Rims Ever
Sub-Vibe-R

Re: Need 12v in back for subwoofer (LocDog)

Post by Sub-Vibe-R »

I haven't drilled any hole on the fire wall to feed my 8g wire.I only used the existing hole.There's a pic
YoYo

Post by YoYo »

On the pinched power wire thing - my only concern would be if it shorted out. If you'll put a fuse in at the battery then you won't have to worry about that danger. I got an in-line fuse from Walmart for under $2 (plus the $2 for a box of several 20amp sub-fuses). Pretty cheap and worth it.
Black 03 Vibe GT 6spd
Sub-Vibe-R

Post by Sub-Vibe-R »

quote:On the pinched power wire thing - my only concern would be if it shorted out. If you'll put a fuse in at the battery then you won't have to worry about that danger. I got an in-line fuse from Walmart for under $2 (plus the $2 for a box of several 20amp sub-fuses). Pretty cheap and worth it.You MUST put a fuse on the power wire. And the closer to the battery it will be, the better you will be protected against short.
LocDog

Re: Need 12v in back for subwoofer (Sub-Vibe-R)

Post by LocDog »

yea i got my inline fuse bolted to the battery mounting bracket.... close enuff?
-aBySS Monotone Vibe-Auto Everything (I wanted a manual)-Moons and Tunes-No Badges-No Lateral Bars-Sony CDX-M730 Head Unit-200w PPI Amp Powering a 12" MTX Sub-9 1/2'' Stainless Steel Trumpet Air Horn-Spare Bridgestone Blizzaks Mounted on the Cheapest Steel Rims Ever
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

the idea of putting the fuse close to the battery is that the fuse protects against shorts from that point on. If you put the fuse by the battery, then the wire runniing from the fuse to the sub is protected. If you put the fuse at the sub, then the wire isnt protected. a short in the unprotected wire could cause the wire to melt, drain the battery, maybe start a fire. should be close enough