HELP! Scraped rear bumper against bricks....

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
esjones

HELP! Scraped rear bumper against bricks....

Post by esjones »

Backing into the garage today, I misjudged my position and scraped the rear bumper on the bricks at the edge of the garage door. See attached photos. I don't want to live with this, so it comes down to repair or replacement of the bumper. Does anyone know any repair methods that are effective at this sort of thing? If repair is not an option, what are the chances of getting a good used bumper, perhaps from a wrecked Vibe?Thanks for any suggestions or expressions of sympathy or condolence. - EarlClose-up: A little wider view:
- Earl Earl Jones, Sales and MarketingHorizon Systems LLChttp://www.horizonsystems.com/ Skype ID: esjonesMy Vibe: '03 Base, 5-speed, ABS, Alum. Wheels, Power Pkg, DVD Nav., Security, Neptune/Graphite
joatmon

Re: HELP! Scraped rear bumper against bricks.... (esjones)

Post by joatmon »

Bummer. I don't know how you'd repair that area. I'm sure there's a way.However there's a rear bumper on ebay, ends tomorrow, current price is almost nothing. According to the listing it has a small scuff but I can't see it in the picture. Check outhttp://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2438684066
Vibe Rater

Re: HELP! Scraped rear bumper against bricks.... (joatmon)

Post by Vibe Rater »

I just saw the bumper on Ebay. I'd be all over that like a hungry dog on a T bone if I was you. Go get it! $11.50? No reserve? I might get it myself if you don't. What are you waiting for?
joatmon

Re: HELP! Scraped rear bumper against bricks.... (Vibe Rater)

Post by joatmon »

I know. I don;t need one but at that price....Same seller also has a front bumper currently $9.99! athttp://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2438684639
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

One hour left, and the rear bumper is still $11.50, the front is still $9.99Is anyone lurking out there and gonna bid at the last minute?EDIT - 2 minutes after I posted that, they both jumped to $61 each. I was gonna buy them because they were a trivial price and hold onto them in case anybody needed them, but that's too rich for me since I don;t need them. Still a good deal, but not for me You're on your ownEdit 2 Rear bumper went for $75, which is a good price.
esjones

Post by esjones »

I bought it for $75.01... beat out the next highest bidder by a penny!Will someone with a service manual give me an idea if this is something I can reasonably try to replace myself, or should I just go to the dealer? - Earl
- Earl Earl Jones, Sales and MarketingHorizon Systems LLChttp://www.horizonsystems.com/ Skype ID: esjonesMy Vibe: '03 Base, 5-speed, ABS, Alum. Wheels, Power Pkg, DVD Nav., Security, Neptune/Graphite
joatmon

Re: HELP! Scraped rear bumper against bricks.... (esjones)

Post by joatmon »

It doesn't look too bad. Some bolts, some push in retainers. Take off the sill plate, take out the bumper bolts, pop out the retainers, disconnect the backup lights, move the backup lights to the new bumper, put it back on.The manual shows a "special tool" to remove the retainers, looks like a thin pry bar that would reach around both sides of the retainer head, Like the claw on a hammer does to a nail, but smaller and thinner.you've got mail
Hot Vibe

Post by Hot Vibe »

A large grey crayon and a lighter should do nicely. Be careful when prying the parts. They will not come off easily. Have to give them a good tug. Have fun with this. I have a picture for you to help out with the assembly but we can not attach files yet.YOU HAVE MAIL
Just here to lend a hand to people who have questions about their Vibe.
LocDog

Re: HELP! Scraped rear bumper against bricks.... (Hot Vibe)

Post by LocDog »

You know..... i got a similar "injury" at the same spot the other day... i was at a intersection on rt. 1 & 9 and as i was merging the tard behind me followed alongside my bumped and didnt pull away... i looked in the side view mirror watched as her car rocked after the corner of the right front bumper scraped against the side of my rear left bumper...She left some lovely scratches goin from the wheel well to where the backup light is.I'll post a pic if anyone is interested, i dunno if touch up paint can save this oneBTW.. isnt the replacement bumper scuffed too? why even bother?
-aBySS Monotone Vibe-Auto Everything (I wanted a manual)-Moons and Tunes-No Badges-No Lateral Bars-Sony CDX-M730 Head Unit-200w PPI Amp Powering a 12" MTX Sub-9 1/2'' Stainless Steel Trumpet Air Horn-Spare Bridgestone Blizzaks Mounted on the Cheapest Steel Rims Ever
cibomatto

Re: HELP! Scraped rear bumper against bricks....

Post by cibomatto »

I woul dlike to followup on this thread... were you able to install the bumper yourself??
Salsa (2-tone) Base Automatic Vibe with Moontune package