Stupid roof rack!

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
Merzbow

Stupid roof rack!

Post by Merzbow »

I STILL CANT GET THE STUPID ENDS OFF THE ROOF RACK!!! lol. Im getting frustrated...I dont want them to break. Just pull up really really hard? or do i pull it backand up or use a screw driver?lol.OH YEAH! I though tof another fault with the Vibe, My mirrors are fading already and I've only had it for a year...Its never parked in the sun for more than an hour tops. SO instead of them being abyss they are turning dark blue. I need to get some chrome replacements or carbon fiber or somethng -={Paul}=-
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/541918-1999 Infiniti Q45t-2003 base Vibe (Rest in peace my love)-2002 Ducati Monster 620 Dark
ragingfish

Re: Stupid roof rack! (Merzbow)

Post by ragingfish »

quote:SO instead of them being abyss they are turning dark blue.Since when are the mirrors body-colored?
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
3.6L V6 (256 HP @ 6300 rpm, 248 ft-lbs. @ 2100 rpm)
joatmon

Re: Stupid roof rack! (ragingfish)

Post by joatmon »

quote:Since when are the mirrors body-colored?The mirrors are black, and so is an abyss vibe, so on an abyss vibe, the mirrors are always body colored, and for no extra cost! (Unless they fade to blue)
ragingfish

Re: Stupid roof rack! (joatmon)

Post by ragingfish »

Ohhh...I was thinking Neptune. DUH!!!!Anyway, I don't have any fading problems here...perhaps it was just some shoddy plastic?
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
Vibe Rater

Post by Vibe Rater »

The black plastic mirrors scratch very easily, even from just regular washing. The fading may be a result of the scratching too.
philndz

Post by philndz »

quote:I STILL CANT GET THE STUPID ENDS OFF THE ROOF RACK!!! -={Paul}=-a month or two ago i was in your position....i thought what are these GENVIBERS not telling me....this is impossible. So i kinda went outside and got pissed w/ rack mouldings and poof i BUSTED all four of them off!! YIKES...that was a scary moment. I pulled my self together and luckily it was one tab on each cover that had busted. i went to re-mount them and they fit snug and secure even though they are missing a tab on each. ok...what that means is : Yes this is as hard and confusing to do as you think.Yes you might break something.And...those peeps who said it was easy are higher spiritual beings w/ allmighty power.oh and GOOD LUCK
2003 Shadow Vibe Base 5spd - 53,000 MilesFlowmaster 60 series exhaust - Short Ram Intake SystemKonig Kaliber 17x7 Rims w/ 225-45-17 Kumho Ecsta 711's - Hotchkis Springs - Progress Rear anti-sway Bar My Vibe is FOR SALE: $8900
dmitri

Re: Stupid roof rack! (philndz)

Post by dmitri »

dude just put a long screw driver under and tap it a few times
Merzbow

Post by Merzbow »

yes they are made out of shody plastic....SO if anyone know of any carbon fiber replacements or perhaps chrome let me know please
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/541918-1999 Infiniti Q45t-2003 base Vibe (Rest in peace my love)-2002 Ducati Monster 620 Dark
scherry2

Post by scherry2 »

I just squeezed and yanked at mine and they came off. have a small flat blade pocket screwdriver just in case to help.
LocDog

Post by LocDog »

The covers snap in... being gentle doesnt work.I dont think using a screw driver would help, wouldnt it damage the edge of the cover?to do this properly u gotta go out there and act like its not ur car.... get pissed off.... and pull on it like you wanna break it. Then everything will be ok
-aBySS Monotone Vibe-Auto Everything (I wanted a manual)-Moons and Tunes-No Badges-No Lateral Bars-Sony CDX-M730 Head Unit-200w PPI Amp Powering a 12" MTX Sub-9 1/2'' Stainless Steel Trumpet Air Horn-Spare Bridgestone Blizzaks Mounted on the Cheapest Steel Rims Ever
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

quote:yes they are made out of shody plastic....SO if anyone know of any carbon fiber replacements or perhaps chrome let me know pleaseNick told me Jeff Strausser told him that the rack ends were never intended to be removed, and were almost designed to break when attempting to remove them...so I guess they never considered that people would want to take them off...I used a screwdriver and it did damage them a bit...but i found if you life it just enough and stick a wide chisel under there, less damage is done because the wider chisel lifts better...

2009 PONTIAC G8
bckersey

Post by bckersey »

quote:I STILL CANT GET THE STUPID ENDS OFF THE ROOF RACK!!! -={Paul}=-I just got mine off yesterday. I tried and tried but just couldn't get them off, so I had my dad help me. The combined force of both of us pushing up on them finally popped them off. Nothing broke. One of the yellow "christmas tree" clips stayed in the hole after the plastic cap was pulled off. To fix that, we just pried up on it with a screwdriver. Another problem that I don't think anyone has mentioned while trying to remove the roof racks is that they don't clear the antenna base. To fix this you have to push down on the roof while sliding the rack back. Be careful when doing this as you don't want to push down so hard that you dent your roof. This is easiest with two people.
AKLGT

Re: Stupid roof rack! (bckersey)

Post by AKLGT »

quote:Another problem that I don't think anyone has mentioned while trying to remove the roof racks is that they don't clear the antenna base. To fix this you have to push down on the roof while sliding the rack back. Be careful when doing this as you don't want to push down so hard that you dent your roof. This is easiest with two people. I didn't run into this problem with mine.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
philndz

Re: Stupid roof rack! (trdvibe)

Post by philndz »

quote:I didn't run into this problem with mine.strange....i know i sure did!
2003 Shadow Vibe Base 5spd - 53,000 MilesFlowmaster 60 series exhaust - Short Ram Intake SystemKonig Kaliber 17x7 Rims w/ 225-45-17 Kumho Ecsta 711's - Hotchkis Springs - Progress Rear anti-sway Bar My Vibe is FOR SALE: $8900
scherry2

Re: Stupid roof rack! (philndz)

Post by scherry2 »

me either
meathead333

Post by meathead333 »

i throw my 2 cents in...the first one for me was cake, the second one was very hard and it kinda broke, but it still stay on securely
My myspace.com profile My 73' Bronco Cardomain page
MA-VIBE-FAN

Post by MA-VIBE-FAN »

quote:Nick told me Jeff Strausser told him that the rack ends were never intended to be removed, and were almost designed to break when attempting to remove them...so I guess they never considered that people would want to take them off...Kind of silly to design something that would have to be replaced at $140 per side if any repair was required. And at the time of the Vibe's announcement the marketing team for the Vibe thought the racks would be removed by owners because they were working on a system of replacement parts the would cover the roof holes but not included the bars. While talking about the racks, have been told that the three white retainers in the center section of each side are not reuseable and must be replaced if you take the side parts of the car. Not mentioned in the service manual/
pwarren4

Re: Stupid roof rack! (MA-VIBE-FAN)

Post by pwarren4 »

Does anyone have the part numbers for the roof rack covers?I was unsuccessfull in removing mine without braking some of the tabs.It's still on - just curious to how expensive it would be to fix back right.
P Warren, Columbia, TN, USA Traded my 03 Satellite Monotone Vibe "Slick" for a 05 Satellite Monotone Tacoma Double Cab PreRunner "Freak" in May '08
ragingfish

Re: Stupid roof rack! (pwarren4)

Post by ragingfish »

88969761 Cover Assy, Rear Rail 23.39

2009 PONTIAC G8
pwarren4

Post by pwarren4 »

Quote, originally posted by ragingfish »88969761 Cover Assy, Rear Rail 23.39I can't imagine getting all four that price.Guess I should have been more specific - I need the front right (passenger) sideThanks
P Warren, Columbia, TN, USA Traded my 03 Satellite Monotone Vibe "Slick" for a 05 Satellite Monotone Tacoma Double Cab PreRunner "Freak" in May '08
ragingfish

Re: Stupid roof rack! (pwarren4)

Post by ragingfish »

I believe i was misleading, I only provided one part number for both caps. I just figured out how to read this part listing, so here are the the corrected part numbers:Cover Assy, Front Rail, Right 88969759 21.86Cover Assy, Front Rail, Left 88969760 21.86Cover Assy, Rear Rail, Right 88969761 23.39Cover Assy, Rear Rail, Left 88969762 23.39

2009 PONTIAC G8
pwarren4

Post by pwarren4 »

Once again the mighty ragingfish saves the day!Thanks!