How to drive a Vibe 3,500 from San Francisco, CA to Norfolk, VA. Pics included.

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
rangerwill86

How to drive a Vibe 3,500 from San Francisco, CA to Norfolk, VA. Pics included.

Post by rangerwill86 »

You just do it! Here are some highlights from the trip:The journey begins. I have my car loaded onto the California State Park's landing craft to make the crossing from my last home on Angel Island SP.In transit to Fort Baker under the Golden Gate Bridge...At Olmstead Point in Yosemite.My Vibe takes in the side-view of Half Dome.Dusty tires indicate the off-road travelling to the Albama Hills. The morning light strikes the eastern side of the Sierra Nevada range.Using my Vibe as a tripod I snap a shot.What is the hottest temp you've ever seen on your Vibe's gauge?I park just in time to photograph a group of bikers riding out of Zion Nat'l Park.Lake Powell, the 2nd largest man made lake in the US. Utah side.The Monument Valley stretches out seemly endless ahead...see John Wayne out there?An arched rock formation in Utah. Some nice Nat'l Forrest Service firefighters served as my photographer.OK...so I saw tons of these in Colorado...seem wrong to anyone else? To make matters worse "(removed) in my Pants" had just previously been playing on my iPod.Whew made it up there! We were both breathing hard.Rocky Mntn Nat'l Park.Elk graze in an open field oblivious to the paparazzi.Bam! Feeling that Rocky Mtn High!And after driving through Kansas, Missouri, Kentucky, and West Virginia without seeing to much...finally I made it.Good eh? Hi that was Jackson "The Silver Bullet" and I'm RangerWill. Pleased to meet ya'll.
“Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in where nature may heal and cheer and give strength to the body and soul.” - John Muir
csxt8058

Re: How to drive a Vibe 3,500 from San Francisco, CA to Norfolk, VA. Pics included. (rangerwill86)

Post by csxt8058 »

Welcome aboard! Very nice pics, Vibe looks good too. May I ask where the second to last pic was taken, with the snow capped mountains...awesome!! JR

2010 Ultra White AWD-Railfan Customized...on to a new owner in 2015
2008 two tone Salsa base model..current railfan rig
rangerwill86

Re: How to drive a Vibe 3,500 from San Francisco, CA to Norfolk, VA. Pics included. (csxt8058)

Post by rangerwill86 »

Sure! That was at Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park on the Trail Ridge Road @ about 12k FT. If you're looking for some great driving to do in your Vibe, our National Parks have some of THE best roads out there.
“Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in where nature may heal and cheer and give strength to the body and soul.” - John Muir
star_deceiver

Re: How to drive a Vibe 3,500 from San Francisco, CA to Norfolk, VA. Pics included. (rangerwill86)

Post by star_deceiver »

Welcome to GenVibe!!! Nice pics!!!
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
Bedlam

Post by Bedlam »

great pics, thanks for posting. Sure looked like you had some great weather coming across country.
07 1ZZ 5spd Stealth - Sold
03 1ZZ 6spd Shadow w/NAV - For Sale
06 AWD Stealth - Current
07 Magnum SRT-8 - Current
silverbullet

Post by silverbullet »

Great pics thanks for posting those up. I can't wait to take a nice road trip some day. Haven't done that since I was a kid riding around with my dad.
Speedqueen

Post by Speedqueen »

Wicked pics. Welcome
10 Vibe 1.8l, Manual, Red hot metallic (current)07 Silverado Z71 4x4 Crew cab (current)03 Monte Carlo SS 3.8l - 85 Merc Grand Marquis (cruise, tilt, bench)93 Grand AM Se 3.3l - 93 Geo Metro 1l87 GMC 1500 454 big block 85 Grand AM SE 6 cyl81 Celica GT - 76 Impala convertible hard top71 Gran Torino
rangerwill86

Post by rangerwill86 »

Thanks for all the comments fellas I added some subtitles now so you know what you're looking at... I highly suggest taking a road trip with this car...what a blast! I totally fell in love with my new Vibe traversing this great land and she preformed perfectly! My only "difficult" was having to push her into some higher RPMs coming over those super high mountain passes in Colorado: like 10k and above. Other than that though, I've been extremely pleased with my new companion. We both feel the wanderlust quite powerfully now that I've settled down again. This park ranger encourages you all to get and visit a park today! And if you're ever at Yorktown Battlefield search the parking-lot for a silver Vibe...
kostby

Post by kostby »

Great travelogue, and welcome to the GenVibe family!As you noticed, in the midwest, we're not only 'flyover country', we're mostly 'flat with no amazingly spectacular geographic feature photo ops' country too.

My 2003 Vibe Base Auto 2-tone Salsa "SalsaWagon" was built in May 2002. I acquired it in Feb 2004/Traded it in on a 2016 Honda HR-V in Feb 2018.
CAMOGIRL

Re: How to drive a Vibe 3,500 from San Francisco, CA to Norfolk, VA. Pics included. (kostby)

Post by CAMOGIRL »

Welcome! May I ask which route you took throuh Kansas?
Well-behaved women rarely make history.
lovemyraffe

Post by lovemyraffe »

Welcome to GenVibe! Great pics and sounds like an incredible trip. Lake Powell is one of my favorite places in the world and the drive over Vail pass is gorgeous.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
rangerwill86

Re: How to drive a Vibe 3,500 from San Francisco, CA to Norfolk, VA. Pics included. (CAMOGIRL)

Post by rangerwill86 »

Quote, originally posted by CAMOGIRL »Welcome! May I ask which route you took throuh Kansas?Interstate 64...which might have been my problem. For the first hour though, I really enjoyed the flat and green contrasted with the sky. But, I grew up in the mountains so after two hours I was going nuts.
CAMOGIRL

Post by CAMOGIRL »

hmm 64 doesn't ring a bell. I was thinking maybe I-70, or hwy 36 if you really wanted the scenic route. But as a native Kansan in love with the Rockies.... I agree, Kansas is pretty boring. The flint hills around Manhattan are gorgeous, some of northeastern KS is nice with the hills and trees, but nothing compared to mountains. Loved your pics!
Well-behaved women rarely make history.
ClunkClunk

Post by ClunkClunk »

I didn't know rangers could have their cars on Angel Island.Great photos of your trip!
2008 Frosty two tone (and 3 other Vibes)
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

Welcome to Genvibe! It looks like you had a nice trip. I need to visit some of these places eventually.
lowincash

Post by lowincash »

Very awsome road trip! I've always wanted to do a loooong road trip. Last time I planned on driving up to NY with my vibe, I ended up just taking the plane lolOne day, one day I will do it =]Btw welcome to genvibe =D
-- 2009 Vibe GT in Jet Black
09vGT

Post by 09vGT »

Wow I thought Kum & Go was only a local chain gas station.. GUESS NOT! Yes, There are like 6 in my town.. seriously..
rangerwill86

Ready for Part Deux?

Post by rangerwill86 »

Alright, well thanks to the enthused responses...I've decided to drop some more pics down which I held back since not all include Jackson.A guard tower from the Manzanar Japanese internment camp.Canyon from Navajo Nat'l Monument.A awesome car/collage with a triumphant pooch.Rifle Falls State Park, CO.At the Vail pass rest-stop I pulled-in next to this formidable looking hearse.Again, not Vibes but you've got to respect your elders.The Gateway Arch! Being from CA I never get why people call Kansas the "west."Beautiful Bourbon County Kentucky!The cheapest gas I found on the trip. When I left Cali it was about $4.20 per/gal.My first Vibe Love! Ah, be still my trembling heart...as you can see we were a cheap date.In Kentucky? See how Bourbon is made!And then drink some!The AMAZING Shenandoah ridge drive.I've arrived at Yorktown Battlefield where American Independence was finally won in October of 1781.A discussion amongst Lamb's Artillery corp.The 18-Pounder says hello.Thanks again guys: enjoy.
hapagan

Post by hapagan »

welcome great start on this forum!!! love the pics love the vibe.
04 Pontiac Vibe Gray, M+T package Custom Front Bumper Paint5% window tint everywhere except three front windows 12" Pioneer IMPP subPro bend bandpass boxBoss 1600w 4Ch amp6, 6.5 Infinity Kappa 62.9i 450w each
csxt8058

Re: (hapagan)

Post by csxt8058 »

Love the Yorktown pics, I'm sort of a Civil/Revolutionary war buff. My wife and I went to Appomattox a few years ago..really enjoyed it. Didn't make the trip in the Vibe though, I still had my Malibu Maxx then. JR

2010 Ultra White AWD-Railfan Customized...on to a new owner in 2015
2008 two tone Salsa base model..current railfan rig
Bastranz

Post by Bastranz »

Welcome! Awesome pics from an awesome trip! I'd love to go on a road trip like this one day.
Owner of the first official "Brando-mobile", the "Silver Streak". 2003 Base Vibe, FWD.
Moved into the next generation, what's new is "Azúl" 2010 2.4 Vibe, AWD
LavaIlliniVibe

Post by LavaIlliniVibe »

Thank you for sharing your pictures--life is more fun in a Vibe, eh? Thank you for the inspiration to take a long trip in a good Vibe!Take care, Keep on Vibin'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
knightrace

Post by knightrace »

Thanks for sharing the great photos!! Glad to see my location represented during your journey. The Arch in St. Louis, MO.
2005 Frosty White, Moon & Tunes, Leather, AutoDisabled DRL & AHLDouble Compartment Armrest Hella Super Tone Horns