steering column vibration

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
protoman

steering column vibration

Post by protoman »

I own a 2007 Vibe with 5600kms (3000 miles) on it. The steering column vibrates when I drive at highway speeds. It seems to be the worse at around 110 kmph (65 mph). The vibration is most pronounced when I start driving from a cold start. It seems to get better after I am on the road for a while. There is no vibration when city driving. Does my Vibe just need a bit more break in time or do I have a problem?
lovemyraffe

Re: steering column vibration (protoman)

Post by lovemyraffe »

Typically vibrations occur when things wear out. I would take it back to the dealer and ask them about it. You should be covered by warranty on this one. There is no logical reason it should be vibrating.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Doesn't sound normal. Might be a wheel balance issue
zionzr2

Re: steering column vibration (joatmon)

Post by zionzr2 »

Quote, originally posted by joatmon »Doesn't sound normal. Might be a wheel balance issueYeah! I'd have the wheels ballanced first. If it is still an issues check to see if the rims or tires are out of round. Then check alignment.
lovemyraffe

Re: steering column vibration (zionzr2)

Post by lovemyraffe »

It could be a wheel balance issue, but to save yourself some $$$ I would take it to the dealer first and have them look at it, unless you have someone to balance your wheels for free.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

yup, warranty it first, its free....so why not. But to me this seems like a tire balance or alignment issue....
DavidPIL

Post by DavidPIL »

Also, depending on the tire and how long it's parked, the tires could simply be flat-spotting. I noticed it a lot when I had Continental tires and only slightly now with my Toyos. If you have aftermarket wheels it could also be that you need hubcentric rings to help center the wheel. I needed rings and noticed that the whole steering wheel wobbled violently right and left from about 60 up to 65 then slowed down above or below that range.I tended to notice the flat-spotting more with the whole car shaking a little in the city then the faster I went, it transfered mostly to the wheel. It would go away after 10 minutes or so of driving. If neither of these are the issue then definitely, a Balance issue with the wheels or something else that is not right.Dave
duck3

Post by duck3 »

Thats alignment and wheel balance right there! I just had to have mine checked out. yeah, the wheel "shimmied" around 60mph and above. My REAR end ended up being out of alignment and it is NOT adjustable. I had to get shims...but as the rest of them say, yours only has 3,000 miles, so no matter what, it should be covered. If the rear end is out of alignment, I'd demand a new rear end that should be covered under your bumper-to-bumper warranty rather than having them SHIM it. Good luck!
04BlkVibe

Post by 04BlkVibe »

Hey..just curious. did you get this fixed? What was the problem? Tire Balance?
2004 Abyss Vibe 5Spd Sport Appearance Package (Factory spoilers and ground effect)Sports Package (16" Wheels and Sunroof)Power Package, Safety Package (ABS and Side Air Bags)Monotone, 30% Tint all aroundNon Factory Option: Backup Sensor, Alpine MP3 Player, Autodimming Mirror, 17" Matrix RimsCome see it all at: http://members.cardomain.com/04blkvibe
Sublimewind

Re: steering column vibration (duck3)

Post by Sublimewind »

Quote, originally posted by duck3 »Thats alignment and wheel balance right there! I wouldn't go as far as saying it IS alignment/wheel bearing... Balance will cost like 20$ to have checked, at 65mph, it's almost LIKELY it's balance rather than something worse... In the line of troubleshooting, start with the cheapest and EASIEST FIRST...
Capt.Vibe

Re: steering column vibration

Post by Capt.Vibe »

Sorry to bump an old thread. I have had this rattle for about a year now on my 2010. Noticed the recall yesterday on 1.5 million GM cars with power steering, steering columns issues. Many models included but not the Vibe despite so many Vibe owners reporting the same issues??

Oooops, wrong forum... :(
2010 Red Hot Metallic 1SA