Moonroof leaks?

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
vibe-anator

Moonroof leaks?

Post by vibe-anator »

I notice that when I go through a car wash that I can see water dripping inside on the corners of the moonroof. I took it in for what I thought is a leak, they had it over night and said they put sealer on it and fixed a kink'd drain hose.It still leaks water inside, is this normal? is it designed to allow leaks to be "funneled into a drain tube?
joatmon

Re: Moonroof leaks? (vibe-anator)

Post by joatmon »

with the drain hoses, it is designed to catch any water that does leak in, and some people have been told by their dealers that the moonrof is not designed to be watertight, but I have never noticed any leaks in mine.
scherry2

Post by scherry2 »

Quote, originally posted by vibe-anator »It still leaks water inside, is this normal? is it designed to allow leaks to be "funneled into a drain tube?yes it is normal, there are tubes on all 4 corners. no! it is not suppose to leak inside the car. sounds like something is still wrong. the dealer should have not had to use "sealer" on it anywhere, the tubes are a push-on type to the moonroof and real hard to pull off once they are on. I'd revisit the dealer.
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Same problem here, now at 54,000 miles and first noticed it at 3000. A stream of water poured in from the rear corners of the moonroof when running the car through an automatic wash.Brought it in, they adjusted the glass. Didn't fix it completely, as water still makes its way in. Usually get smacked in the skull by a drop of water when running it through the wash. I gave up on ever getting that particular problem fixed. The water drains out after it leaks in, so I just decided not to bother with it.I'm with scherry2, it shouldn't be leaking... Kari's Vibe, and not suprisingly, doesn't leak a drop when running it through the car wash. So there is at lest one Vibe out there that functions properly.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
vibe-anator

Post by vibe-anator »

I wasn't sure if that water dripping in on the rear corners was actually dripping into sometype of water gutter that directed the water down a tube.It is the sam exact porblem you have (water dripping in rear corners)
Kari

Re: (vibe-anator)

Post by Kari »

Yep, I'm pretty sure that's where his drips from -- the rear corners.
GenVibe Global Moderator
scherry2

Re: Moonroof leaks? (ColonelPanic)

Post by scherry2 »

Quote, originally posted by ColonelPanic »I'm with scherry2, it shouldn't be leaking... Kari's Vibe, and not suprisingly, doesn't leak a drop when running it through the car wash. So there is at lest one Vibe out there that functions properly. Mine does't leak so there is 2. on a lighter note: the headliner should be pulled down on the sides an see if the drain tubes are hooked up and if they are clear at the moonroof, could be a small peice of crud blocking the hole.
zionzr2

Post by zionzr2 »

mine dont leak eather!! I'm 3keep the rubber gasket and the metal it meets clean too...
Storm

Post by Storm »

Happens in the matrix too, but only a few drops here and there. If you take the glass off you can see that if any water gets in it gets directed into a drain so it's fine. The designers took into account that it might leak
ColonelPanic

Re: (Storm)

Post by ColonelPanic »

Quote, originally posted by Storm »The designers took into account that it might leak Obviously they did, considering there are drains there. BUT, that does not explain why some of us have a stream of water that pours in, whereas other similar vehicles have no problems whatsoever in this area. I'm not sure if this is poor design on Toyota's part or less than acceptable assembly techniques from NUMMI. Either way, you shouldn't have the amount of water coming through that some of us have. I'll get a video of mine next time I wash the thing. heh

Image Image
scherry2

Re: (Storm)

Post by scherry2 »

Quote, originally posted by Storm » The designers took into account that it might leak The designers took into account they couldn't get a tight seal between the seal and body with out wind noise and closing problems so they designed it to divert water way instead. NO WATER is allowed inside the vehicle past the framework of the moonroof. Quote, originally posted by Storm »Happens in the matrix too, but only a few drops here and thereand you find that acceptable?
Storm

Re: (ColonelPanic)

Post by Storm »

Streams? didn;t know that happened. Thats just crazy...stupid toyota of america..haha
binary

Post by binary »

Neither of our vibes leaks in the wash - and I've always looked for it.Our escape leaked - dealer said it was fine. Then again - they argued the floor was wet from our shoes until the entire electrical system fried because of corrosion from a leak under the windshield.I hate dealers - "nope it's not an issue until after 36k - and we won't fix it until we can make you pay for it"
ColonelPanic

Re: (binary)

Post by ColonelPanic »

Quote, originally posted by binary »I hate dealers - "nope it's not an issue until after 36k - and we won't fix it until we can make you pay for it"No kidding! "Mr. Panic, we have contacted GM technical assistance and have been advised that it is a normal design characteristic to have flames shooting out from under the dash. All Vibes will have flames shooting out from under the dash, this is normal and does not represent a defect." (removed)!

Image Image
vibe-anator

Post by vibe-anator »

I called the dealer today about the roof leaking (still) and the Tech (Matt) said and I quote " the moonroof leaks in all vibes. The engineers disigned it so under heavy rain or carwash, it will leak and drip into a gutter and be funneld out of the car" End quote.If anyone disagrees, heres his infoMatt Andrezejewski (616) 975-3667 Todd Wenzel PontiacI had no idea GM gave up on a no-leak roof?
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

I understand your furstration, god knows I do... I've had more issues with this one car than a dozen GenVibers have had with theirs, combined. And I have the same moonroof leak as you, and it's been there since Jan '03 when I bought this thing.But I'm just not sure that naming names and giving numbers is the right thing to do in order to resolve your situation. If you're not happy with the dealer, find another one. Personally, I'm not so quick to blame GM on my moonroof leak. I'm not convinced that this is of GM's engineering, this is all Toyota. GM just has the misfortune of having to service and support Toyota's engineering. To be honest, I feel sorry for GM. From what I gather, Toyota doesn't particularly value GM's opinion on design or quality control issues, so it takes it that much longer (if ever) for a fix to come about. Bad paint, water leaks everywhere, bad GT clutches, yada yada yada - GM's stuck in the middle and can't do much for their customers because the other party involved isn't so quick to admit they may have issues with their product. At least that's the way I see it.

Image Image
scherry2

Post by scherry2 »

Quote, originally posted by vibe-anator »I called the dealer today about the roof leaking (still) and the Tech (Matt) said and I quote " the moonroof leaks in all vibes. The engineers disigned it so under heavy rain or carwash, it will leak and drip into a gutter and be funneld out of the car" End quote.and he is correct, but...... the operative sentence is "and drip into a gutter and be funneled out of the car"if you have water dripping in anywhere inside the vehicle it is a defect an the dealer is obligated to fix it.again if water is dripping inside the car the drain tubes are either not hooked up (which would be alot of water) or a plugged drain tube (which would be a small amount of water)Ask your service rep to ride thru a car wash with you and when it leaks ask him if its acceptable.
vibe-anator

Post by vibe-anator »

I put the managers name and # because from the responses I have read, some still say it shouldn't leak at all. Its not his personal # mind you, its the dealership. I am not slamming this manager, I do not know if the leak is a problem, so instead of "he said, she said" I simply put a contact. If indeed the manager is wrong, then perhaps someone here might be able to correct him and get him to look into it more (example: if someone here is also a dealer tech). You see, I have no one else to contact about this problem. With Dodge, you can have a Dodge rep come out and meet you and look at the problem and hash it out. W/ GM it almost seems like nobody cares. Perhaps its just the dealership? Back in the day, you always had someone higher up to take a problem to, but not with GM, not from my experience.
binary

Post by binary »

Quote, originally posted by vibe-anator »I called the dealer today about the roof leaking (still) and the Tech (Matt) said and I quote " the moonroof leaks in all vibes. The engineers disigned it so under heavy rain or carwash, it will leak and drip into a gutter and be funneld out of the car" End quote.If anyone disagrees, heres his infoMatt Andrezejewski (616) 975-3667 Todd Wenzel PontiacI had no idea GM gave up on a no-leak roof?That guy is *and I quote* full of crap.Print this thread out and hand it to him. He can call me if he'd like to discuss this. I purchased two vibes - neither leak in car washes or rain storms. They aren't supposed to!Either CP is right, or he's just lazy and doesn't want to fix the problem. Time to check with a new dealer - you don't need to take your car to where you bought it. Especially if they treat you like a third rate customer. There is always someone higher - ask the service manager who he answers to.
Abyss AWD

Post by Abyss AWD »

Just on a side note.....I have owned Hyundai for the majority of my car purchases, al had sunroof and NONE ever leaked!
ColonelPanic

Re: (Abyss AWD)

Post by ColonelPanic »

Quote, originally posted by Abyss AWD »Just on a side note.....I have owned Hyundai for the majority of my car purchases, al had sunroof and NONE ever leaked!No way! j/k

Image Image
Abyss AWD

Post by Abyss AWD »

I am a sales person at a Hyundai dealership. I just had to get the Vibe. for 2 years I was driving a 2003 Elantra GT hatchback.
ColonelPanic

Re: (Abyss AWD)

Post by ColonelPanic »

Very cool. I'm actually planning on replacing the Vibe with an '06 Sonata GLS here sometime soon. Really looking forward to that.

Image Image
ColonelPanic

Re: Moonroof leaks?

Post by ColonelPanic »

For any interested party, feel free to take a look at this video I shot tonight of my Vibe going through an automatic car wash... Lemme know if you can't view the video.The leak was actually pretty mild this time around...

Attached files leak_1.mp4 (296.1 KB) 

Image Image
zionzr2

Post by zionzr2 »

Not supposed to do that at all!!!I have noticed in my car its damp if i put my fingers up there but water dose not drip or flow like that
Baltovibe

Post by Baltovibe »

Quote, originally posted by ColonelPanic »Lemme know if you can't view the video.Yea, I am one of the behind-the-trend crowds who doesn't seem to have software capable of opening and playing this type of file. Can you recommend a player (hopefully free) that is able to play this mp4? Thanks!
That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse.(Romans 1:19-20)&nbspWhat do you want most in life?
Kari

Re: Moonroof leaks? (Baltovibe)

Post by Kari »

Quicktime is free and that's what it played in for me on the Mac...I would assume it would also work under Windows.
GenVibe Global Moderator
Baltovibe

Re: Moonroof leaks? (Kari)

Post by Baltovibe »

Quote, originally posted by Kari »Quicktime is free and that's what it played in for me on the Mac...I would assume it would also work under Windows. Tried Quicktime, and even updated it, and got the following message. BTW, using windows. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Attached files
That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse.(Romans 1:19-20)&nbspWhat do you want most in life?
cieglo

Post by cieglo »

Mine does not leak within the car either. I guess I'm # 4, 5, 6 or more.
Vibe GT '03, Lava Red 2-tone, 16" wheels, Moon'n'Tunes, Injen CAI, ACT clutch, vented rotors, Tein coil- overs, Grafxwerks decals, lead foot on the gas and white-knuckled fist on the stick & Hankook RS-3 for AutoX http://noraracing.net/
scherry2

Re: (zionzr2)

Post by scherry2 »

Quote, originally posted by zionzr2 »Not supposed to do that at all!!!well not really, it cannot be a leak proof seal so some water will seep by and drain out the drain tubes. but that does seem a little more than normal. but I don't work at NUMMI so I don't know what normal is.....
tampa8

Post by tampa8 »

I had the wind deflector on and mine would leak somewhat especially in the car wash. I removed the deflector and now no leak even in the car wash.
binary

Post by binary »

Okay, now it leaks...BUT - after the auto car wash sprays directly down on the seal - I get a couple of small drips in one corner, that I didn't see before.Weeeee....
Man of Steel

Re: Moonroof leaks? (joatmon)

Post by Man of Steel »

I just noticed a few small drops coming through at the back corners of my sunroof yesterday. They collect neatly into the gutter tracks. Still I'm concerned. I bought my car in May and this is the first I bothered to check the seal while driving in the rain. I plan to keep an eye on it for the next year or so. If it gets worse, I'll take it in. Right now I'm afraid that if they mess with it, they'll make it worse. A buddy of mine bought his Vibe a couple months before me and notices the same thing. I think sunroofs are kinda like hot water heaters. Sooner or later, they're going to leak. But I agree with the folks on here that they shouldn't, especially when the car is new.
05 AWD.
DopeVibeGT

Re: Moonroof leaks?

Post by DopeVibeGT »

I was always worried about this. I had a Cavalier that leaked really bad through the sunroof. No problems with the Vibe at all.
Pictures of my ride!!'03 Vibe GTMy AED GA!Work in progress
binary

Re: Moonroof leaks? (DopeVibeGT)

Post by binary »

Quote, originally posted by DopeVibeGT »I was always worried about this. I had a Cavalier that leaked really bad through the sunroof. No problems with the Vibe at all. I had an 87' Mustang GT with T-Tops... you wanna talk about leaks in the roof, I think I was dryer if I left the glass in the trunk! Sure was fun in the summer time... all 6 weeks of it here :D