17" wheels/tires in snow?

Wheel and tire information and upgrade discussions
NSimkins
Global Moderator

17" wheels/tires in snow?

Post by NSimkins »

Knowing that the 17" stock wheels are equipped with summer-rated tires, I asked a couple salesman about the ability of driving in the snow with these. Most of them said it was okay to drive in the snow but cannot fairly be compared to actual all-season or snow-tires.So is it actually feasible to even attempt to drive in the snow with these tires? Just curious, any opinions?If not, buying snow tires for these wheels would cost about how much to get changed each year (not buying brand new tires each year but buying a set and switching them)?
d_m_kolb

Re: 17" wheels/tires in snow? (NSimkins)

Post by d_m_kolb »

http://www.discounttiredirect.com has the Vibe in their system and once you select the Pontaic Vibe from their list of manufacturers you'll get a list of tires that will work for the 17s. The site has the base Vibe tires also. All season tires found. I didn't find any just for snow. http://www.tirerack.com has snow tires. Same deal as the website above. Click in the vehicle and it asks you about performance, all season and snow tires. Base Vibe tire included also.Try those two sites out. The last one seems to be more of what your looking for though.Hope this helps.
NSimkins
Global Moderator

Re: 17" wheels/tires in snow? (Waiting4Vibe)

Post by NSimkins »

Plus, now that I actually looked at the tread on the 17" tires, you can visibly see that they are made for dry/rain conditions only. There is visibly no deep grooves on the tires in order to grip in the snow.Thanks for the info.
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

quote:Hey you can try it!I ordered the Moon and Tunes with the 16" and living in Canada, I am planning on downsizing to 15" narrower winter tires to improve traction. It all depends on the quantity of snow you get and the types of drives you take in the snow.... But with the low profile 17" I wouldn't even try it!Let us know what what size tire you go with on the 15" wheels, or do you know allready. Ken.
Frosty 5 speed Vibe Power & Safety Packages. Naturally Aspirated my gallery
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

In Canada I would recommend Canadian Tire Nordic Icetracs http://www.canadiantire.ca/tireconfig/t ... 4975729766 They worked perfectly on my Civic.
Frosty 5 speed Vibe Power & Safety Packages. Naturally Aspirated my gallery
yank dini

Re: 17" wheels/tires in snow? (NSimkins)

Post by yank dini »

PLEASE DON'T DRIVE THAT CAR IN THE SNOW WITH THOSE Z-RATED TIRES. YOU'LL KILL YOURSELF. TAKE IT FROM A MICHIGANDER
NSimkins
Global Moderator

Re: 17" wheels/tires in snow? (yank dini)

Post by NSimkins »

quote:PLEASE DON'T DRIVE THAT CAR IN THE SNOW WITH THOSE Z-RATED TIRES. YOU'LL KILL YOURSELF. TAKE IT FROM A MICHIGANDER Yes, this is the general answer I seem to be getting. Those salespeople don't know what they are talking about! Everyone I have asked they say, sure, they handle the same as all-season tires in the snow. We all know that is bull... I guess it's just anything to get a sale, huh?