How many people drive with the spare and jack in their Vibes??

Upholstery, floor mats, seats, window tint and anything inside the vehicle and not electronic
polaris1000

How many people drive with the spare and jack in their Vibes??

Post by polaris1000 »

Last week I did alittle spring cleaning in My Vibe and decided to clean where the spare and jack are in storage compartment, because dirt likes to fall in there. I took out the spare and jack and have not put it back in. I know the more weight we can shave off our Vibes the better,but I do not know if I feel comfortable with out it in the car. Do most of you keep it in or take it out. Plus since I took it out I do not notice as many rattles in the backas I did before. I HATE RATTLES!!!!
http://members.cardomain.com/pontiacvibegt MagnaFlow Cat-back Exhaust Injen CAI TRD Lowering Springs TRD Ground Wires TRD Strut Tower Brace Progress Rear Sway Bar E.S. Motor Mounts
Merzbow

Re: How many people drive with the spare and jack in their Vibes?? (polaris1000)

Post by Merzbow »

I keep mine in. I use my jack alot with my underbody neons and everything. I haven't ahd to use the tire, but have bad luck so I bet if I took it out I would need it.Just take out the back seats if you want weight reduction lol.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/541918-1999 Infiniti Q45t-2003 base Vibe (Rest in peace my love)-2002 Ducati Monster 620 Dark
AKLGT

Re: How many people drive with the spare and jack in their Vibes?? (Merzbow)

Post by AKLGT »

never taken mine out w/ the exception of doing my springs. no rattles here.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
Triton

Re: How many people drive with the spare and jack in their Vibes?? (trdvibe)

Post by Triton »

I haven't had any rattles from the tire or jack, but some other stuff I have back there. I just insulate with a towel to keep it from knocking around back there. I wouldn't even consider taking out my spare after the fiasco I went through last summer when my right rear tire blew out on the road. That sucked! If I didn't have the spare or the jack in my car, I would have been screwed! It was the first time I ever had a blowout too.
***SOLD***2003 Vibe GT Monotone Neptune - Inaugural October 2004 Vibe of the Month***SOLD***

Now the proud owner of Titanium Silver 2012 Kia Optima SX
MJN2

Re: How many people drive with the spare and jack in their Vibes?? (polaris1000)

Post by MJN2 »

I think I have taken the jack out once, just to put a towel under it to quiet it down.I've got a 2.5 ton floor jack and jackstands for when I'm working under the car.
Two-tone Neptune GT w/17" OEM rims, Nav System, BOMZ short ram, Sabresport STB
blk182@n7

Post by blk182@n7 »

i have mine in as well. no rattles back there but i have noticed that the rear seat, drivers side does rattle. damn.
2003 Mono Abyss GT,Moon and Tunes17 " Sport Max 929, Eibach Pro SpringsDunlop 215 50/RZ17 tires oem, Coustic 601SE amp, 2 CF1044 10" GM Top Rear Spoiler, Optima 51R Yellow TopAEM Short intake Blue, Progress Rear Anti Roll barFlowmaster Delta Flow 60 Series, Ground wiresDenzo IK 20 5304 plugs,TRD STB Front, Brass Bushings
pmh013

Post by pmh013 »

I would never consider going without the spare or jack.
2003 Satellite AWD Two Tone, traded off at 180,126 kmNow the (fourth) catalytic converter is someone else's problem Now driving a 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan
russ257

Re: How many people drive with the spare and jack in their Vibes?? (pmh013)

Post by russ257 »

i have mine i dont think any gains you would get be worth the inconvience if you had a flat tire
'03 VIBE AWDPioneer AVIC-N1MOMO 6.5" componets in frontMOMO 6.5" speakers in rearJL e6450 six channel ampJL 12" w3 subAlpine 120W amp powering the sub
Jahntassa

Post by Jahntassa »

I've thought about taking mine out to put my amps in that space, but i'm too paranoid that i'll get stuck somewhere without a spare...
2003 Vibe GT Lava"He inched his way up the corridor as if he would rather be yarding his way down it.""For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen." - Douglas Adams...we all miss you
wicked1981

Post by wicked1981 »

I havent even touched the spare and the jack. Just seen it. I rather leave it in in case of a flat or anything.
2006 Pontiac G6 GTP3.9L V-6 240hp and 241 lb-ft or torque18" Aluminum, five-spoke, flangeless200 Watt, 8 speaker Monsoon sysChrome dual exhaust tipsLiquid Silver MetallicBorla Custom ExhaustDr. Speed Cold Air Intake
russ257

Re: How many people drive with the spare and jack in their Vibes?? (wicked1981)

Post by russ257 »

oddly enough i got a flat today and was very glad i had it. took my buddy to the junkyard to get an ac compressor and ended up with a metal sliver in my tire. have to get it patched here soon. all fixed up for 18 bucks
'03 VIBE AWDPioneer AVIC-N1MOMO 6.5" componets in frontMOMO 6.5" speakers in rearJL e6450 six channel ampJL 12" w3 subAlpine 120W amp powering the sub
pissedoffgokart

Re: How many people drive with the spare and jack in their Vibes?? (russ257)

Post by pissedoffgokart »

I must be the only person that took it out! I need SUBS, not a 12 - 13" doughnut! Besides, would look silly with 18's and a spare! I carry a fix a flat can and a tire plug kit. That will fix everything except a sidewall puncture (which is the only 2 times I have ever had a flat in the Vibe conveniently enough).
Roadpig

Re: How many people drive with the spare and jack in their Vibes?? (wicked1981)

Post by Roadpig »

I havent even touched the spare and the jack. Just seen it.LOL...me too!
2004 Vibe GT, Neptune Two ToneGraphite Interior, Moon & TunesPower Package, 17" Rims, Exhaust Tip Mods Tinted (50% front window, 35% back & rear)Cosmo Alpha Omega 3 Child Seat & Booster SeatCustom Cargo Mat, DebadgedMagnaflow Cat-back Exhaust, Injen CAI
savedbyzero

Re: How many people drive with the spare and jack in their Vibes?? (Roadpig)

Post by savedbyzero »

Personally, I think you're looking for trouble...it's gonna suck REAL bad if you get a flat....And honestly, you're not getting any gain on the street without these...Now if you got to the track, pull them out, along with the rear seat, front seat and anything else that will easily unbolt...I believe that it's been said that every 100 lbs.= 1/10 of a sec.So, put it back in! It only takes one pothole, nail, or screw to do you in! If that happens, I hope you wore you're lightest and most comfortable running shoes to cut down on more weight, 'cause you're gonna need 'em!
THIS IS WHAT I DO...http://www.studiothisis.com
Stang2Vibe

Post by Stang2Vibe »

I've been toying around with the idea of putting my subs in that space and removing the spare and jack. With my luck, I'll get a flat on the way home from the audio shop if I do though. I've yet to have the jack or spare out of the car so far.
Former owner of a 2003 Vibe GT---Great car that gave me 8 years and 83,000 miles of trouble-free service.Current owner of a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited AWD.
Houston

Post by Houston »

I used to say that anybody who runs without a spare is nuts. Now that I'm a "senior citizen" (What the hell is that?) though, I won't say it. I'll just say you're too young to realize what might be there as you drive over it - and that it just might give you a flat. (I'll bet you're somewhere under 22 years of age.)
2009 Base 2.4L with a few add-ons.
goodvibe

Re: How many people drive with the spare and jack in their Vibes?? (Houston)

Post by goodvibe »

I would only do it if I were using run-flat tires.
Vibe GT, TRD springs, Progress bar, STB, Unichip, Borbet E 16x7.5, 225/50 Bridgestone RE750, beefed up grounds and battery bypass capacitors(had em laying around)
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

I would be uncomfortable leaving the spare and jack out of the car. If you had rattles from having them in, then put some time into trying to figure out what was casing the rattles. The only time I got a rattle from back there was when I forgot to lock down the deck.One of the first things I do with a new car is take out the jack, and use it to lift up a wheel of the car. I know how to use these kinds of jacks, but I want to be sure I know where it is, how to get it out, where to put it, etc. The side of dark road in the rain is not the time to have to figure it out. It is also a really bad time to find a flat spare, so check the pressure on your spare periodically too
Herb

Re: How many people drive with the spare and jack in their Vibes?? (savedbyzero)

Post by Herb »

Quote, originally posted by savedbyzero »Personally, I think you're looking for trouble...it's gonna suck REAL bad if you get a flat....Typically I'd agree. However the first time I got a flat after running over a rock, I pulled over to the side, pulled out the jack and started to raise the front passenger side when I glanced behind me only to notice that the rear passenger tire was flat too. Since I only had one spare I didn't bother to do the change.
Would you agree to debris acceptance? 2003 Vibe GTMods installed GM Top and Mid-Gate Spoilers, Cosmo CAI, TWM Short Shifter with Desert Eagle weighted shift knob, TWM Bronzoil Shifter Cable Bushings, Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust, Unichip, Injen Billet Aluminum Engine/Sparkplug covers and oil cap, Optima RedTop Battery, Lineage Ground Wire KitAwaiting install: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts, DC Sports Header
Keely

Re: How many people drive with the spare and jack in their Vibes?? (Herb)

Post by Keely »

When you bought your Vibe in the States did it not come with 24-7 roadside assistance? (It was included with the purchase of a new GM vehicle here in Canada.) I haven't read through the benefits yet, but I would think that between a tire puncture sealant can and roadside assistance that would be all you would need for 99% of your driving situations. Of course, if you were going on some extended road trip in the booneys you would pack your entire trunk quite differently, but for the majority of the driving we do isn't that sufficient?
keely dunn
ycart1201

Post by ycart1201 »

i'd be afraid of getting stranded from a flat so i keep mine in where it belongs. Nathanycart1201
Click on the sig to shop for custom Vibe/Matrix decals & Parts on my website