Clicking Noise Behind Radio

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
Charlievibe

Clicking Noise Behind Radio

Post by Charlievibe »

I just searched and did not find anything on this topic, so let me run this by you all.You know the click noise you hear from behind your radio when the automatic sensor turns on your lights? Has anyone heard this clicking noise even when your lights are already on? I have noticed the last several weeks, when I am heading home after dark, that I will hear a clicking behind my radio. And to reitterate, my lights are already on, so I know it isn't that.I will be taking my car to the dealer in the next few weeks to see if they can figure out what it is. However, before I do go, if you have heard this noise and know what it is, please let me know. Or if you have a thought on it, please let me know.Thanks.
Just because you see Charlie doesn't mean I am a he....sometimes Charlie can be a she!!!!
pmh013

Re: Clicking Noise Behind Radio (Charlievibe)

Post by pmh013 »

Just taking a stab at it, maybe you are hearing the recirculate kicking in? I can't really recall the specifics, but if you have the heater on defrost, the car needs to be on recirculate to properly defrost. Instead of this being an electrical (software) control, there is an actuator behind the recirc button that turns it on. Hence, you can't "use" that third button, as the actuator takes up the space behind the third button.I'm open to correction on this, because I'm not sure.
2003 Satellite AWD Two Tone, traded off at 180,126 kmNow the (fourth) catalytic converter is someone else's problem Now driving a 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan
LocDog

Re: Clicking Noise Behind Radio (pmh013)

Post by LocDog »

Maybe your just hitting the brake? Theres a relay for that back there ya know...
-aBySS Monotone Vibe-Auto Everything (I wanted a manual)-Moons and Tunes-No Badges-No Lateral Bars-Sony CDX-M730 Head Unit-200w PPI Amp Powering a 12" MTX Sub-9 1/2'' Stainless Steel Trumpet Air Horn-Spare Bridgestone Blizzaks Mounted on the Cheapest Steel Rims Ever
Charlievibe

Re: Clicking Noise Behind Radio (LocDog)

Post by Charlievibe »

quote:Maybe your just hitting the brake? Theres a relay for that back there ya know...Nope, not the brakes. It did it this morning on my way into work while I was on the highway. quote: Just taking a stab at it, maybe you are hearing the recirculate kicking in? I can't really recall the specifics, but if you have the heater on defrost, the car needs to be on recirculate to properly defrost. Instead of this being an electrical (software) control, there is an actuator behind the recirc button that turns it on. Hence, you can't "use" that third button, as the actuator takes up the space behind the third button. I didn't have the defrost on this morning, it was 60° this morning, so I had my windows cracked. I will most likely have to turn it on this evening when I head home, so I will see if I hear a click then.Thank you pmh013 and LocDog for your help!
Just because you see Charlie doesn't mean I am a he....sometimes Charlie can be a she!!!!
pmh013

Post by pmh013 »

Thought of something else this morning on my way to work: solar flares. Supposedly they make for "electrical burps" which can interfere with radio signals.
2003 Satellite AWD Two Tone, traded off at 180,126 kmNow the (fourth) catalytic converter is someone else's problem Now driving a 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan
drunkenmaxx

Re: Clicking Noise Behind Radio (pmh013)

Post by drunkenmaxx »

maybe it's a microscopic spy implanted in your dash, observing your every move, relaying the intelligence back to the base...
chew aura pizza cheat main"the world in my hands, there's noone left to hear you scream, noone's there for you"
LocDog

Re: Clicking Noise Behind Radio (drunkenvibe)

Post by LocDog »

I get a rattle back there behind the radio when i floor it and it goes to like 5k+ rpms... actually its more like a buzz.Anyone else get that?And latly ive been gettin this wierd crackle then a high pitch hum that changes with my rpms... it only happens when the radio is on but doesnt get affected by the volume.The feedback sounds kinds like a dentist drill when i accelerate.It seems like theres a bad ground somewhere and its pickin up interference from the transmission/engine....Its drivin me nuts... Any suggestions?
-aBySS Monotone Vibe-Auto Everything (I wanted a manual)-Moons and Tunes-No Badges-No Lateral Bars-Sony CDX-M730 Head Unit-200w PPI Amp Powering a 12" MTX Sub-9 1/2'' Stainless Steel Trumpet Air Horn-Spare Bridgestone Blizzaks Mounted on the Cheapest Steel Rims Ever
Charlievibe

Re: Clicking Noise Behind Radio (drunkenvibe)

Post by Charlievibe »

quote:maybe it's a microscopic spy implanted in your dash, observing your every move, relaying the intelligence back to the base...Hey drunken...if you said this to some of the people I work with, they would honestly believe that you were serious. No, I am not kidding...these people think that when something goes wrong with their computer that they are being saotaged!!!!!!
Charlievibe

Post by Charlievibe »

quote: I get a rattle back there behind the radio when i floor it and it goes to like 5k+ rpms... actually its more like a buzz.Anyone else get that? I am not getting the rattle, but it sounds like our problems are in the same area behind the dash. Maybe something is loose. Or maybe drunken is right and our cars are being bugged!!! quote:And latly ive been gettin this wierd crackle then a high pitch hum that changes with my rpms... it only happens when the radio is on but doesnt get affected by the volume.The feedback sounds kinds like a dentist drill when i accelerate.It seems like theres a bad ground somewhere and its pickin up interference from the transmission/engine....Its drivin me nuts... Any suggestions?I had a Pontiac Sunbird that did this. I ended up having to have my radio replaced. I was 16/17 back then, so I don't know what caused it.
johnsoax

Post by johnsoax »

Just curious, do you have a Nextel phone? These cause a clicking sound in any stereo equipment when they are looking for signal. It bothered me when i first got the phone, but I have gotten used to it. Otherwise, I have no idea what it is.
Stereo Mod - Cargo carpet - Phone on ash tray. - Hidden HitchProjects: Fix CELMileage - 50050 - 31.41 MPG Ave
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Charlievibe, The acoustics in the Vibe really confuse me. I think I have clearly identified the direction of a sound, and someone in the passsemger seat thinks it's coming from a completely different direction. Not saying the sound is not behind the radio, just that I don't trust my own direction finding abilities in the vibe.So when does it click? The lights are on and stay on. Does it only do it when the engine is running, or only when you are moving? How often does it click? Is it an every now and again thing, or is there some regularity to it? Once a minute, or once an hour? Is there any correlation to cornering, rough roads, anything like that?LocDog, I have had cars that put a whine on the radio, and the pitch of the whine corresponded to the engine rpms. I have even passed other cars that made my radio whine. Usually, it was due to some electrical ignition thing, like a bad plug wire. On these cars, I have no idea, with the mini coils mounted on top of each spark plug. There is a noise filter , but it's in the back, access by the drivers side compartment in the back next to the hatch. Not sure what circuit it filters. Have you noticed any change in performance or fuel efficiency that might have started about the time the noise started?
Charlievibe

Re: Clicking Noise Behind Radio (joatmon)

Post by Charlievibe »

quote:The acoustics in the Vibe really confuse me. I think I have clearly identified the direction of a sound, and someone in the passsemger seat thinks it's coming from a completely differetn direction. Not saying the sound is not behind the radio, just that I don't trust my own direction finding abilities in the vibe.So when does it click? The lights are on and stay on. Does it only do it when the engine is running, or only when you are moving? How often does it click? Is it an every now and again thing, or is there some regularity to it? Once a minute, or once an hour? Is there any correlation to cornering, rough roads, anything like that?joatmon, you have asked some really great q's and made some good points. It is doing it often enough that I will listen for it over the weekend and get whoever is in the car with me to listen for it as well. I will report back on Monday what I come up with. Thanks!
LocDog

Post by LocDog »

Its different from the cellphone interference sound... but kinda sounds like it when the noise starts.it only happens if the radio is on... changing the station, to cd or even shifting into park/neutral/reverse, doesnt matter, the noise is constant, it only disrupts if the radios gets turned off.According to my GF the sound is only coming out of the driverside tweeter.... i dunno wats goin on, warrenty wont help cuz my radio is aftermarket....
LocDog

Post by LocDog »

Update! The tweeter is fine.... its the driverside door speaker thats giving me feedback, the speaker is blown, do u think that that might be the cause of the problem...
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

It could be. Some folks say that replacing the stock speakers makes a big improvement. If one of the stock speakers is blown, you've now got a reason to find out if they're right. I guess if the speaker is blown anyway, you could disconnect it, and see if that gets rid of the noise. If you're feeling adventerous, you could swap the driver and passenger speakers and see if it gets rid of the noise, or if the noise follows the speaker. If it does, then it's likely the speaker. If it stays in the driver's door, then it might be some wiring or grounding problem.
LocDog

Re: Clicking Noise Behind Radio (joatmon)

Post by LocDog »

if it is a grounding problem.... wat would you advise as a solution
Charlievibe

Post by Charlievibe »

Sorry I didn't get back sooner, I have been trying to get my car to make the clicking noise. So, here is what I have come up with....looks like it is the light sensor switch. If I start my car and put it in gear and the lights come on, then I turn them on, as I am driving down the road, it clicks. However, if I turn on my lights prior to putting it in gear, no click. So, from my most humble knowledge of electronics and sensors on cars, it seems like the light sensor is somehow reacting to the lights having already been turned on by the car and then me turning them on as well. Whereas, in the other instance, the sensor doesn't have to function.Because it doesn't always do this, I am not going to worry about it unless it gets worse.Thanks again to everyone for your input.