2005 AWD Front Wheels No Power

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
2005AWD

2005 AWD Front Wheels No Power

Post by 2005AWD »

Two years ago, I started hearing rear bearing noise in my 2005 AWD so I figured I might change the bearings. The car only had 145K miles, but I figured, being nearly 20 years old, the front bearings might need replacing soon too. While in there, why not replace the front and rear half shafts and struts! I did the front half shafts, struts and bearings. I was going to do the rears later. Everything was fine on the front end. About 500 miles later, while on the highway, I heard a loud metalic BANG from the rightvside of front end. It sounded like a hammer on an anvil. I was ready to pull to the berm, but the car kept driving. It wasn't till I stopped at the first traffic light, 4 miles later, that the car would not move forward. The engine just reved when I gave it gas. So I had it towed home.
Two years later, I miss driving it! I've been trying to research the problem for the last few months.
Here's what's happening...the car still just runs with zero propulsion. I put it on jack stands and was sure all the wheels moved freely. The fronts get no power, but the rear wheels do!!! Am I correct to think that the power has to go from the engine and through the transmission to get to the transfer case to make the rear driveshaft turn? I had changed the transmission fluid two years ago long before the problem. I just changed it again in the past few days. I took off the transmission pan to see if there was any broken parts in it. There wasn't. It was really clean. I never realized there was a front transfer case. I drained it after first making sure the fill plug came loose first. There was only a few ounces of gear fluid in it. It didn’t make noise while up on jack stands so hopefully I caught it in time. Still no power to the front wheels!
In my diagnosis, it seems neither front wheel half shaft is connected to anything. The parking pin does not engage and I can spin a both hubs while in park. Spinning one hub does not make the other hub move. I'm thinking front wheel drive is different from a regular real axle where the other wheel spins opposite when up in the air?
Here are my questions...Do front wheel drive Vibes spin the wheel which has the least traction? In my case, while up in the air, neither fronts have any traction.
In my 2005 AWD, the drivers side front half shaft comes out of the transmission. The passenger side half shaft comes out of the transfer case. I would think if the rear wheels are getting power then the passenger front tire would be getting power too. Maybe the BANG I heard was the connection between the transfer case and passenger half shaft? If that wheel is broken would it make the drivers wheel not have power? Both fronts spin freely by hand with no binding or noises. Just a bit of surface rust on the rotors rubbing on the pads.
Again, I would think if the transfer case is getting power to move the rear wheels the transmission is fine. Am I wrong to think that the rear wheels in an earlier AWD Vibe can't move the car on their own due to the viscus coupling? They spin while up in the air only because there is no force on the rear tires. I have the tires off though.
So that's where I'm at! I have researched the heck out of this and have come up with nothing! Any help would be appreciated. Remember I said both front hubs can be turned by hand with the transmission in park.
Thanks for your help! Jim
2005AWD

Re: 2005 AWD Front Wheels No Power

Post by 2005AWD »

New thoughts...Tomorrow, with the engine off and the car in neutral, I will hold the rear drive shaft so it can't move and try to spin the passenger front hub. If it spins it will tell me that part of my problem is in the transfer case.
What should a normal FWD car drivers front wheel do? In park I would think it would be unable to turn. I think it would just spin putting it in drive with the engine off. So that won't tell me anything. Thanks again!
2005AWD

Post by 2005AWD »

Update...I moved the passenger front hub in my 2005 AWD Vibe by hand. The newer half shaft turns all the way up to where it enters into the transfer case. The drive shaft to the read differential didn't move at all. I'm thinking something that connects the half shaft inside the transfer case is broken. Does anyone have a picture or drawing on the 2005 AWD Vibe transfer case?
To recap what I said in my first post, when in drive or reverse, neither of my front wheels turn, but the drive shaft to the rear differential turns and the rear hubs turn too.
I tried to research what happens with FWD wheels when one loses traction. I'm thinking the other wheel won't move either. I'm wondering with an AWD, since the passenger half shaft comes out of the transfer case, will the front passenger tire in an AWD always have power? That is if everything is working properly! In what scenarios will the front wheels lose power on a properly working FWD and AWD Vibe? Thanks!
jolt

Post by jolt »

Here is a link to check. You what to look at sections 30 to 40 to see break downs of the things you are look at.

https://madstyle1972.com/Repair/

You are never going to know what the problem is until you start taking things apart and inspecting them. I would start with the axle shafts you installed and check for striped out splines. Also something could be wrong with the spider or side gears in the ring gear housing. I do not know about the Toyota,s but some CV axle shafts require a stub shaft be inserted as the old shaft is removed to prevent the spider gear shafts from falling apart inside the drive. I doubt this is the case here, as you would not have been able to drive it. You need to study how spider or side gears work in a rear end and will tell you about wheel movements.