Sound coming from car when steering wheel is turned all the way

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
meidou

Sound coming from car when steering wheel is turned all the way

Post by meidou »

Hi all,
I have a 2007 Vibe with 195K km.I have a sound similar to air escaping from a can of air coming from somewhere around the wheels when I turn the steering wheel all the way to the left.This sound only happens when the car is stationary.
I have checked the symptoms online and it seems all indications point to either a CV joint or in one instance one forum mentioned the power steering fluid pump.
Can you offer any insight into my problem,maybe how I can proceed with diagnosing it correctly.

Thanks in advance.
lannvouivre

Re: Sound coming from car when steering wheel is turned all the way

Post by lannvouivre »

A CV axle would be popping or rattling when you turn. A bad power steering pump makes a gears-whining noise and is really loud. Your issue may even be from something rubbing, or just the general strain of the wheel being turned all the way to the lock, which isn't good for the power steering pump.

Make sure you have enough power steering fluid and visually inspect your CV joints. Try putting silicone lubricant on the sway bar bushings. I have yet to hear of the power steering pump on these cars failing, and at your car's age, the CV boots may be going at which point you know you need new axles.

If you can't confirm for sure what the issue is, either let it get a little worse so it's easier to pinpoint, or take it to a mechanic. You may need a helper to turn the wheel while you look for the issue, but again, don't sit on the lock with the wheel turned all the way.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
meidou

Post by meidou »

Thank you so much for a quick response.I will check to see if anything is rubbing this weekend when I take the winter tires off.
I honestly believe that the CV axle is dying.It may be time for me to change them.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

When you turn the wheel all the way and keep pressure on it to hold it against the stop, is the sound continuous, or does it make a short duration sound?

Seems like if it only happens when you are not moving, a continuous sound would not be from something rubbing or a failing CV joint.

Every car I've had with power steering makes a complaining noise when you turn the wheel all the way against the stop, so consider that it might be a normal sound. Similar, but even my hydraulic log splitter makes a sound when trying to push it against the stop. On one car, I couldn't hear the hydraulic pump complain because of a louder sound from a loose belt slipping on the power steering pulley

Is this something new, something that's always been there, or something that may have been there always or for some time but you just noticed it?
meidou

Post by meidou »

I found the solution to the problem, it was one of the underside panels that got dislodged.All is well.

Alt least now I know how to diagnose a powersteering pump failure.

Thanks again for all your help.