What are people plugging into their standard power outlet?

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
jlynam

Re: What are people plugging into their standard power outlet? (vibenorth)

Post by jlynam »

clip on fan. helps circulate the A/C to the rear faster to cool off my dog. Wonder how long it would run with the engine off? draws .35Amp and about 30 watts I think. Would like to be able to keep it running for short times when I am out of the car on a hot day and she is waiting in the car for me. unfortunately, you have to leave a key in the ignition to power the outlet.
Lava 03 VibeGT two tone17" aluminum wheelspower, security6disc changertint 35/30in need of a moonroof!
ragingfish

Re: What are people plugging into their standard power outlet? (jlynam)

Post by ragingfish »

Keep in mind, it takes more power to generate the inverter making the 110v than the fan consumes on its own...So though the fan doesn't consume much, the inverter itself consumes a good amount of juice...
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
3.6L V6 (256 HP @ 6300 rpm, 248 ft-lbs. @ 2100 rpm)
Herb

Post by Herb »

quote:I'm just wondering what things people have tried to power using the standard electrical outlet? What happens if you try to draw too much power, ei; hair dryer. Can you blow a fuse?I havne't plugged in anything yet. I can't think of anything I would want to use that would be within 100W.That being said, I wonder if the wiring in the system could handle a higher wattage inverter. If so could someone just swap it out with an aftermarket inverter?I've seen some 600-700watt inverters around. Of course I suppose I could always use the 12v socket to plug the inverter into.
Would you agree to debris acceptance? 2003 Vibe GTMods installed GM Top and Mid-Gate Spoilers, Cosmo CAI, TWM Short Shifter with Desert Eagle weighted shift knob, TWM Bronzoil Shifter Cable Bushings, Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust, Unichip, Injen Billet Aluminum Engine/Sparkplug covers and oil cap, Optima RedTop Battery, Lineage Ground Wire KitAwaiting install: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts, DC Sports Header
ColonelPanic

Re: What are people plugging into their standard power outlet? (Herb)

Post by ColonelPanic »

I use it for charging my cellular phone... Charges a heck of a lot faster than the DC charger.I would definitely have more use for it if they would have used a 3-prong plug... Seems as if everything I own that would want to take with me doesn't use a 2-prong plug.More wattage too! Even of the cheapie inverters these days can pump out more than 100 watts...
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
meathead333

Re: What are people plugging into their standard power outlet? (ColonelPanic)

Post by meathead333 »

[QUOTE]I would definitely have more use for it if they would have used a 3-prong plug... Seems as if everything I own that would want to take with me doesn't use a 2-prong plug.[QUOTE]speak of the devil, heres a funny cartoon i found that applies....

Attached files
My myspace.com profile My 73' Bronco Cardomain page
ColonelPanic

Re: What are people plugging into their standard power outlet? (meathead333)

Post by ColonelPanic »

LOL! Good one!I wonder if there's an adapter he can use...
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
Myself

Re: What are people plugging into their standard power outlet? (Herb)

Post by Myself »

quote:I've seen some 600-700watt inverters around. Of course I suppose I could always use the 12v socket to plug the inverter into.That's WAY more power than your lighter socket can supply. Any inverter over 200 watts or so should include cables with lugs or clamps so it can be connected straight to your battery.600 watts, assuming inverter efficiency of 85% (which is about average), means 58 amps at 12 volts. The lighter sockets in these things are rated at what, 15 amps?There's a reason for the push to higher voltage electrical systems in cars: You need THICK wire to move any appreciable amount of power at 12 volts!Anyone know off hand how much current our alternators make at idle, and at speed? Then, how much is consumed by the various systems of the car? Drawing 40 or 50 amps to run a large load off an inverter, you may very well end up with a negative power budget, draining your battery to make up the difference. Caveat connector.
meathead333

Re: What are people plugging into their standard power outlet? (Myself)

Post by meathead333 »

sounds lik eit could get scary with taht convertor in a vibe
My myspace.com profile My 73' Bronco Cardomain page
bckersey

Post by bckersey »

I chagre my cell phone with it. Now I don't have to take it into the house to charge it overnight. I just plug it in while I am driving.
Strobo43

Re: What are people plugging into their standard power outlet? (bckersey)

Post by Strobo43 »

I use mine for recharging camera batteries and the laptop.
2003 Base, Auto Trans, Moon and Tunes, Lava Monotone, Power, 16" Aluminum Alloy Wheels, VentShade Hood Delector. Add on Alarm by guy who installs "factory alarms" at dealer. Door and edge paint chips . Grafworks Vibe stickers, INJEN CAI still in the box . 65,000 miles since 04/03. Still using Mobile1 SINCE MY FIRST OIL CHANGE! Looking for new tires, wore out my Goodyear AssuranceComforTreds (replaced Eagles @27K). Thinking of the TriplTreds...
Space_Cowboy

Re: What are people plugging into their standard power outlet? (Strobo43)

Post by Space_Cowboy »

I've plugged in my laptop and an audio adapter and we've watched DVD's in the car on road trips and stuff like that....of course the cell phone worked out well too, didn't have to buy a separate DC charger. I had this idea a while back, and I wasn't sure if it'd work...but what about one of those mini-fridges? One of the ones that hold like 6 or 9 cans, something really small...you could plug it in and keep stuff hot/cold and use it as a cooler once you get wherever you're going...anyone do this?
-WarrenVibe GT -Monotone Shadow - Six CD Changer-Power Package - Rear Cargo Box-Moon & Tunes - NEW HORN!!!!!-Magnetic Car Bra - K & N Performance Filter-Homemade Rear Cargo Mat - F1 Front Strut Brace- Hopefully CAI & exhaust soon
fire_502

Re: What are people plugging into their standard power outlet? (shenandoah24)

Post by fire_502 »

quote:I guess I should have explained that better....We had a really bad storm a couple weeks ago and our power was out for about a day and a half. I had to get ready for work somewhere....so I picked the vibe. I would never curl my hair while driving...but there is an awful lot of construction around Nashville these days...lots of traffic jams...plenty of opportunity to curl my hair if I wanted to..... Ok, I tried plugging in my curling iron today, so I could get it ready and use it in the parking lot before work, but it didn't work! That's the first thing the sales guy pointed out to me when I test drove a vibe...mentioned the curling iron and everything. Anyway, today I thought, it's raining, my hair looks like crap...why the hell not. But when I turned it on, the power light just flashed and went off. My curling iron can't be that powerful! The only other thing I have tried to run was a small fan and that worked fine. I am kind of annoyed that the curling iron won't work though.
Pix Doc

Re: What are people plugging into their standard power outlet? (fire_502)

Post by Pix Doc »

I Love WAFFLES.....
Base 2-Tone Salsa -- Photos of my Vibe and Mods HERE-----> http://www.pbase.com/pixdoc/vibe_picsCustom ExhaustEnkei MM2 (Anthracite) WheelsViper Alarm W/ remote startSilverstarsJVC KD-SX780 Head Unit - Kenwood KFC-1689ie speakers - Apple iPodS2000 Honda Antenna - Bumper ProtectorN0 Badges or Luggage CrossbarsMMMMMMM......SAAALSA
LocDog

Re: What are people plugging into their standard power outlet? (fire_502)

Post by LocDog »

quote:My curling iron can't be that powerful!Umm yea it can.... it takes alot of amperage to heat something up, and our 1A inverter just doesnt cut it...
-aBySS Monotone Vibe-Auto Everything (I wanted a manual)-Moons and Tunes-No Badges-No Lateral Bars-Sony CDX-M730 Head Unit-200w PPI Amp Powering a 12" MTX Sub-9 1/2'' Stainless Steel Trumpet Air Horn-Spare Bridgestone Blizzaks Mounted on the Cheapest Steel Rims Ever
jlynam

Post by jlynam »

The usual, camera batteries, laptop and a small fan. I do like the Christmas light idea though! I am going to totally steal that idea!
Lava 03 VibeGT two tone17" aluminum wheelspower, security6disc changertint 35/30in need of a moonroof!
joatmon

Re: What are people plugging into their standard power outlet?

Post by joatmon »

Ran a combo TV/VCR off the vibe when we lost power for 5 days from hurricane isabel.
ALi3N

Re: What are people plugging into their standard power outlet? (silverawd26)

Post by ALi3N »

used it for a third cell phone charger (3 people in the vibe with dead batteries), mp3 boom box at the beach, laptop (once),portable dvd player, and a portable air compressor with a broken lighter plug.
ALi3N aka Dj ViP3RThere is a force through the euphoric beat causing uncontrolablemovement of your body, I am that force. Take a journey beyond the limits of your mind.'Download Mixes:http://shlrm.org/DjViP3R/http://www.myspace.com/djvip3r Latest Mixes: 'Nightlife' & 'M0Ti0N -X-'Pimpin' Abyss Vibe GT w/ Nav
ragingfish

Re: What are people plugging into their standard power outlet? (ALi3N)

Post by ragingfish »

Cleaning the attic I found one of those massage pads you strap to a chair. Took it out to the vibe, strapped it to the seat, plugged it in, and WOOOOO heavenly! Best find yet!
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
Jahntassa

Post by Jahntassa »

Mike, I had one of those but sold it at a yard sale, man, I wish I had kept that thing!
2003 Vibe GT Lava"He inched his way up the corridor as if he would rather be yarding his way down it.""For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen." - Douglas Adams...we all miss you
JustinVGT

Re: What are people plugging into their standard power outlet? (silverawd26)

Post by JustinVGT »

I did the same thing last year when my cell phone went completely dead and I needed to charge it on my way to class. I only have the desktop dockingstation charger so I just plugged it in, worked great.
Justin 2003 Vibe GT - Mille Miglia Evo5 18x8 Wheels (now stock)- Magnaflow Cat-Back Exhaust (now stock)- Tein S-Tech Springs (now stock)- Injen CAI - Red Painted Calipers - Hella Supertone Horns - Polk Speakers - Bazooka RS8A-HP Sub - Kenwood Headunit - Still love my Vibe, but I've just turned it back into a basic daily driver.
rhunt1975

Post by rhunt1975 »

Bottle warmer...for the momma's out there.
Frosty Vibe GT two tone Magnaflow cat-back moon&tunes and a little baby on board sticker attached to the hatch......
Fialchar

Re: (rhunt1975)

Post by Fialchar »

I have an extension cord from Wal-Mart (Woohoo, go Wally World! ;P) and I've ran a cell phone charger, EagleOne air freshener, laptop, DVD player, and a mini-fridge (Awesome for road trips). I think it'd be a cool idea to put a toaster in the compartment between the front seats and maybe keep the pop-tarts in the compartment directly above it. You know, for when you get the munchies for no reason whatsoever Ooh, another idea, what about a vibrating seat cover?
PEDALS

Post by PEDALS »

i learnt how to save 5-10 minutes in the morning...shaving in the car my electric razor is my new best friend, i also use it for my portable dvd player with 7" screen for the rest of the morning hour rush!
ragingfish

Re: (Fialchar)

Post by ragingfish »

Quote, originally posted by Fialchar »Ooh, another idea, what about a vibrating seat cover?Oh yeah dude, I'm already there. http://forums.genvibe.com/zero...23486

2009 PONTIAC G8
cobra55

Re: What are people plugging into their standard power outlet? (NSimkins)

Post by cobra55 »

a night light is a good idea, since it is so dark in the place's you use alot, like the cupholders that set on the floor.
cobra