Someone Keyed my Car!!!!!

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
CatastrophicBlend

Someone Keyed my Car!!!!!

Post by CatastrophicBlend »

Two weeks after I got my car, someone keyed the passenger door. I don't drive like a jerk, I don't tick people off, I don't park like a jerk either and someone keyed it pretty good. Any ideas on how I can get this fixed without repainting the door?
2005 Grey Pontiac Vibe "Moon n Tunes"
Currently saving for: New Air Intake
Derf

Re: Someone Keyed my Car!!!!!

Post by Derf »

A picture would help assess the depth and type of damage. If not able to add picture, did it go down to the bare metal, or just scratch the color? Have you used touch up paint or painted before? Answer will depend on damage and abilities.
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

That sucks! Someone back into my VIbe. No note or anything.
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Well today I noticed someone scrapped the right hand side doors. Nicked up the side molding pretty good and scrapped the paint on the doors. That's twice in the last 3 months.
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
CatastrophicBlend

Post by CatastrophicBlend »

It's from my passenger door handle to just underneath the side mirror. About three quarters of an inch in right down to the metal and the rest is white. My car is grey. I tried buffing as much as I could, but it's still pretty bad. The pictures I took didn't come out Very good. I am going to try again tomorrow using the camera on my phone.

I have had this car for two years already, so I learned to live with it, but now that I am Doug all of these other upgrades on my car, I want her to be in mint condition.
2005 Grey Pontiac Vibe "Moon n Tunes"
Currently saving for: New Air Intake
Raven

Post by Raven »

Usually if you can easily feel the scratch with your fingernail, it will need painting.
Derf

Post by Derf »

If the scratch is about 2 years old, you may soon have issues with rust. I used the following for fixing chips and scratches on my car, results were good. If you take your time and follow the directions exactly you could get great results. With such a long scratch you will have to sand, prime, sand, prime again, sand, and spray paint to blend. Despite the accuracy of the touch up paint, if you use a small tipped brush applicator, the repair would likely look like pin stripping due to the type of scratch, variation in depth, and sun/environmental effects on the existing paint.

Link to vehicle selection: http://www.automotivetouchup.com/touch- ... t/pontiac/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Link to directions: http://www.automotivetouchup.com/how-to-videos/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you never worked with automotive paint, I would get a can of cheap spray paint and practice painting a pieces of smooth scrap plastic, (5 gallon bucket) to get used to painting contours, preventing drips, and "feathering" the new paint to existing for a seamless transition. Then try a little of the spray touchup paint on a hidden part of the car to compare against the existing paint color. Make sure to cover the non-affected area with lots of news paper and paint on a calm day to prevent drift and waves in the paint.
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )