Anybody have AAA?

General discussions not related to the Vibe, Matrix, or any other vehicle. (follow posting rules)
808 Vibes

Anybody have AAA?

Post by 808 Vibes »

I was wondering how you like it. I keep getting these tempting offers in the mail that breaks down to less than $5/mo, and that includes a second coverage for free. NO, I'm not worried about Neptune or Frosty breaking down...and YES I can change my own flats, just don't want to have to do it while prego and in some trecherous situation.
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
hskater26

Re: Anybody have AAA? (HawaiiPontiacLover)

Post by hskater26 »

i like it its usually my co workers or friends that use mine for broken down cars or locking their keys in their car lol
-2003 Base Vibe-2002 Ducati ST2
lowincash

Post by lowincash »

I've been using AAA for a few years now and I like it. I think I'm under the Plus plan and I just feel more at ease knowing I have the service. They towed my dad's car a few times and jump start it too. I've used it once when I locked myself out of the car. Now they gave me a credit card size key thing that I keep in my wallet
-- 2009 Vibe GT in Jet Black
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

We're about to cancel my Fiance's (I think). We are able to get it cheaper through State Farm on both cars than she has for just her AAA membership. The only difference is that with AAA, it works no matter who's car she is in, with the State Farm roadside, it is attached to the car. So for us, the State Farm is better, and about half the cost cause neither of us really ride in other peoples cars and now we're both covered just in case.
zionzr2

Post by zionzr2 »

I've been a member for over 10 years!they are great! and saving all the discounts they offer at places more than pays for it.Great piece of mind if you ever get stuck someplace or pull a bonehead move and lock yourself out. (guilty)
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

well, I'll be the contrarian here. I think AAA is a waste of money unless you can score an incredible long term deal. First, people who have AAA think that the company is come charity firm existing merely to protect their well being. You'll read the phrases "comforting" and "piece of mind" often. AAA is in business to make money, just like every other insurance firm. You can "piece of mind" yourself right into the poor house if you bought into all the insurance gimicks in the world (life, rental, warrantees, pet, long term care...and on and on). Other than those who can only report having "piece of mind," can anyone report objectively on those times they had to use AAA for HPL? Did you have to wait hours before service arrived? The reason I ask, is that I know many who have had to wait a very long time for a tire change, a jump, or a tow. Here's the problem with waiting: most people believe that when their car breaks down, they have some constitutionally protected right to simply pull over to the shoulder of a highway or busy road, turn on the flashers and all will be fine. More and more, people who do that find themselves getting injured or killed by the wonderful drivers we have come to observe on the road (just ask any police officer making daily traffic stops). If you have a flat or mechanical issue, when possible, pull over into the grass, or as far away from moving vehicles as you can. Don't just camp out on a nice paved spot "knowing" that everything will be fine.While I have no great advice on an alternative company you should gamble your money on, my advice to anyone who turns the key to a car is: don't get behind the wheel if you don't know how to change a flat tire, jump start your car, or perform routine checks of your engine and tires. Failure to learn these simple things are an invitation for disaster. Always carry a charged cell phone as well.The point of all this banter: I generally find people who have AAA don't understand how to safely operate their car, and are falsely relying on their "piece of mind" guardian to rescue them under any circumstance. For you HPL, I think a temporary membership would suit you just fine during this "no heavy lifting" or "car pushing" phase of your life. Best wishes.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

I have AAA basic. Almost never use it, but have a couple of times and it really helped me. Once was on an interstate in a deserted part of WV (not in the Vibe), started to pick up a bad rumble from one of the back wheels. Stopped, no flat tire. Limped to the next exit, a wheel bearing died, gnawed up the spindle too. I could have fixed it, if I had my tools, and knew where to get parts. Called AAA, the shop towed us, fixed it , total cost $200. Was a good deal for me.My kids have used it other times, keys locked in the car, dead battery, things that we could have resolved without AAA, but when they were far from home and their normal support circles. I've made sure they know how to do basic roadside repairs on their cars, but it's worth it to me to pay for them to have AAA, just in case. I agree with caretaker, for HPL, it 's probably a good idea to have some sort of backup plan during this period, and perhaps AAA is a good option. She might also want to check with her normal auto insurance company to see if they offer something comparable at a better price.
keithvibe

Re:

Post by keithvibe »

I used to have AAA but have since dropped it for one reason only.they only offer a max of three jumps/locked keys in car issues per year that are covered under the plus program. After that you are charged whatever the tow company that comes out to help you would charge AAA.Most times when the service was used the wait time was unacceptable as well IMO45-90min wait time was a norm. Sometimes it was as little as 10mins but that was rare.
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
jake75

Re: Re: (keithvibe)

Post by jake75 »

I forgot to renew my AAA Plus about three years ago - decided I could live without it. My AARP does as well or better on hotel discounts - and I use Priceline more often than not anyway. Mapquest is good for trip planning - I hated the new AAA Triptik format anyway. Had a flat a month ago - cost me $67 for roadside service. A lot less than the $237 my AAA would have cost me the past 3 years. The '09 Vibe has 3 years ( or is it 5?) roadside service so I am covered in that car for another 2 years.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
808 Vibes

Re: Re: (jake75)

Post by 808 Vibes »

Thanks everybody! I'll do it just this one year. I think less than $5/mo. is worth the peace of mind temporarily. And yes, I did lock the keys in once, with my senior dog inside (at night...whew!) I expect now with prego brain, I could lock the keys in the car again any day now...
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

I have it because my dad got a family discount and it was ultra cheap to add on myself and sister. I've never used it yet but its nice to have.
jimincalif

Post by jimincalif »

I'd suggest having it. If you ever go to a hotel the discount will pay back the membership price. Being preggers now, and then when you are carrying an infant around with you, it is a good idea.I have it for the family and the kids, my daughter had to use it last summer for a jump-start after a concert in Hollywood, not the place for a 19 yr old girl to be stuck at midnight.
"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill---------------------------------Who is John Galt?2 Vibes, 03GT & 07 base (kids drive)1993 Lexus LS4001980 Fiat Spider
beemerphile1

Re: (jimincalif)

Post by beemerphile1 »

I have had AAA in the past but they have lots of limitations like a maximum of three miles towing and they will not do a service call for a motorcycle, RV, or any kind of trailer. Now I have emergency Road Service as a membership benefit of belonging to the American Motorcyclist Association. If you purchase a membership for $39 and sign up for automatic renewal with your dues charged to a credit card, you will receive FREE Roadside Assistance for your motorcycles, RVs, Cars, Tow Vehicles, and trailers. Thirty-five miles towing included, and covers all members of the household.. http://www.amadirectlink.com/roadride/motow.asp
NE Ohio - home to the most successful Pontiac drag racing team in history - Bill Knafel's "Tin Indian" and also home to Summit Auto Racing.
2009 Vibe base 1.8L auto towing 2009 Aliner Sport hardsided pop-up
Whelan

Re: (beemerphile1)

Post by Whelan »

I'm currently an 11 year member. It is not just for Auotmotive stuff. Sure you get towing, fuel, battery replacement, etc.But you get ticket discounts, hotel discounts, any number of benefits. You can walk into a AAA with your card, sit down and setup a whole travel itinerary at cheaper than most other places. Not to mention all the maps and such.TripTik is awesome online and plans routes, directions, where to stay, the rating system is great, and it just goes on and on. Saves the hassle of trying to pick it all out blindly.I'll be a member for a long time.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
bodhi_tree777

Re: (Whelan)

Post by bodhi_tree777 »

For years, my birthday present from my dad was a renewal of my AAA gold membership. I can't tell you how many times it saved the day, but over many of those years I was on the road, travelling from city to city and it was fantastic piece of mind. The only gripe I've ever had was one evening (2 in the morning actually) we were in NC and I had a spark plug shoot out of its housing. Turns out the mechanic who replaced them before we drove 300 miles overtightened and stripped the threads out. In rural NC, AAA could not find a tow truck driver willing to come out. Instead, we got picked up by a cop and were forced to get a hotel until the next morning when the driver was awake. On the upside of that, he then towed us 112 miles from where we were (winston-salem area) to Raleigh and did not charge us for the overage miles. I've also used AAA to move project cars from one location to another. They do have rules about not doing that, but I find that most tow truck drivers don't really care. They get paid regardless. Most of them never even ask you for your AAA card. Having said all that, I've let mine lapse since I've had the Vibe, but I would consider getting it again.
james / bodhi tree studio / tattoos & illustration / http://www.bodhitreestudio.comebay store : vintage clothing & toys---03 Satellite Vibe GT // 04 Neptune base // 1986 VW Golf // 1990 VW Golf GL---
Houston

Post by Houston »

I've been an AAA member since 1965. During that time I've had accidents, locked my keys in the car, had dead batteries, etc. No point in my mentioning the services mentioned by others. I once had a dead battery in Saginaw (about 50 miles from here). The tow truck hooked onto my S-10 pickup, took my girlfriend to her house in Frankenmuth and then towed my truck to my Durand dealership. Didn't cost me a cent. They have treated me very well during these 45 years and I'll go with them for another 45, if given the chance.
2009 Base 2.4L with a few add-ons.
Whelan

Re: Anybody have AAA? (Houston)

Post by Whelan »

Don't forget they also give up to $500 bail bond if needed :-) Gotta love the little pink slips.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

I have roadside assistance through my insurance. It provides:*Towing of a disabled vehicle to the nearest repair facility *Up to one hour of mechanical labor at the place of breakdown *Lockout service up to $100 per lockout*Towing to nearest gas station*Jump startCost me about a 1.50 a month. I havent had to use it yet....thankfully.
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
ou.grizzly

Re: Anybody have AAA? (Whelan)

Post by ou.grizzly »

Quote, originally posted by Whelan »Don't forget they also give up to $500 bail bond if needed :-) Gotta love the little pink slips.Are you serious?
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
bodhi_tree777

Re: Anybody have AAA? (ou.grizzly)

Post by bodhi_tree777 »

Quote, originally posted by ou.grizzly »Are you serious? For certain offenses, absolutely.
james / bodhi tree studio / tattoos & illustration / http://www.bodhitreestudio.comebay store : vintage clothing & toys---03 Satellite Vibe GT // 04 Neptune base // 1986 VW Golf // 1990 VW Golf GL---
Whelan

Re: Anybody have AAA? (bodhi_tree777)

Post by Whelan »

Yeah they won't for things like a DUI, but you can use it towards other items, say driving infractions where you were speeding to be considered reckless and taken away, missed tickets, etc.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
Blueridge9

Re: Anybody have AAA?

Post by Blueridge9 »

Ntelos phone users have roadside assistance discounts:

I just learned that I already have nTelos Roadside Assistance, thanks to my coworker. It give a discount on whatever help I need at the time.

"nTelos Roadside Assistance travels with your phone and is available to all current nTelos Customers. Any personal vehicle is covered as long as your phone is present.

It’s an excellent value that you only pay for when you need it. There are no monthly membership fees or hidden costs. You will receive a price quote for services requested at the time you call. The rates are pre-established and affordable. You will only be billed once at the time the roadside services are rendered. There are no other charges or hidden fees involved. It’s straightforward, easy to use, and very secure.

nTelos Roadside Assistance offers a full range of services including:

Towing of vehicle, due to mechanical failure or accident, to the destination of your choice
Delivery of up to 3 gallons of fuel when you’re out of gas*
Lock out service for your vehicle when you are locked out or have lost your key
Flats replaced with your spare tire
Jump start service for dead batteries
Vehicle winching when stuck in a ditch or other inaccessible area, when such location is within 30 feet of a paved road or highway
Unlimited service calls annually
We will dispatch a reputable service provider to your location. You will only pay a pre-set fee via secure credit card or debit card transaction.

*The cost of fuel will be charged extra at the time of the event.
The service is available 24/7/365 days a year anywhere throughout the United States where you might be traveling.

For immediate assistance for your roadside emergencies, simply call 1-877-554-2650 or #ROAD from anywhere in the United States. Keep these numbers with you for easy access when needed. "

So I put the phone number on my contacts list and emailed this list of services to my android phone. :idea:
Blueridge9 2004 Base, 1.8L "The Vibe is a melding of muscular looks, ..utility & economy, sportiness & road-hugging tractability." -Road & Track Magazine Sept. 2008 Pictures: http://s278.photobucket.com/user/blueridge9/library/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Hmmmm ... an older thread but a good one. I've had AAA for 20+ years and now that I have Junior driving, I'm really glad that I have it. He had a blowout just outside of the campus at his college and AAA was there to assist him (more like RESCUE him :o ). Well worth the annul $$$ that I pay for three of us :)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
thebornotaku

Post by thebornotaku »

I don't have AAA but I do have roadside assistance through my insurance (Farmers). I know AAA limits your roadside assistance but I have unlimited on my insurance which is nice, because I traditionally drive old european scrapheaps, so having that coverage is good.

Honestly I don't know how much a month I pay for it but having the peace of mind is nice. They've saved my (removed) a few times when things went wrong (as they do, on 30+ year old cars) and doesn't cost me anything out of pocket at the time of the assistance.
1985 Volvo 245DL
1974 Volkswagen Super Beetle
2003 Pontiac Vibe
robtco99

Post by robtco99 »

I've had AAA for the past few years and have gotten my use out of it every year, considering that 1 tow will pay for the whole price of it. I had my cavalier break down at my work 65 miles away and had it towed home for free. It would have cost $250 for that one tow if I didn't have AAA. I have a few classic cars, and drive older cars in general and a few years ago used 5 tows all in one year . It' nice having my wife on the policy as well when she is alone and something happens. I figure paying $100 a year for AAA is a lot better than paying $300+ month for a new car ;)

I used a tow a few days ago when my regal gs died on the side of the road, and it looks like I'll be using another one in a few days to get it towed to a shop.

I have a co worker that has gotten drunk at bars several times and has called AAA to get his car towed and get a ride home. That $100 membership has saved him thousands.

I wouldn't even bother getting the basic AAA due to all the limitations