Tent camper score!

General discussions not related to the Vibe, Matrix, or any other vehicle. (follow posting rules)
djkeev

Tent camper score!

Post by djkeev »

First off, yes, it's probably bigger than a Vibe can tow but I don't know for sure, the weight label is damaged and thus far I haven't located a link that shares such information, but it's not for me anyway...........

So what do you think?
my daughter and her husband have four children and were in the market for a used Tent camper big enough to house them all. They seem to go for $1200-$2000 in most ads.......most needing "work".

I stumbled upon this from a friend for $500.

I pulled I home today and set it up.

1993, Coleman Fleetwood Destiny Rio Grande.

Owned by an older couple who died in 2010 and sold by their son. Gently used, garage kept............ until 2010, and 100% complete including the screen room. It is ready to camp, pots pan dishes silverware spices cups port-a-potty toilet paper, paper napkins, portable Bar-B-que grill, hoses, extension cords, etc.......it's like someone died and just left everything behind.......oh wait!.........

All original upolstery, in perfect shape as well. New tires in 2003 but never used, still have the mold flashing on the treads.

No rust, no rot, no mice, no rips or tears, no musty smell!

I think we did good . (it does need a new RV Battery and a 20 lb Propane tank)

Dave
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
tpollauf

Re: Tent camper score!

Post by tpollauf »

Looks like a good buy to me. Just in time for some fall camping too! If traveling in relatively FLAT areas the Vibe should be able to tow it short distances. Long hauls up & down mountains, I'd be skeptical. Start packing & have them check it out :D
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

My googling says that it weighs around 1450lbs dry. Nice find!

Have fun!
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
beemerphile1

Post by beemerphile1 »

Great find, I've got two kids that each are looking for a cheap camper.

I recommend new tires before hitting the road. All the ST (special trailer) tire manufacturers recommend replacing tires by six years of age. Tire failures are a big problem on RVs and tires age more when sitting than in use. Tires need to flex in order to move the oils to the surface and prevent deterioration.
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTr ... eFacts.dos
NE Ohio - home to the most successful Pontiac drag racing team in history - Bill Knafel's "Tin Indian" and also home to Summit Auto Racing.
2009 Vibe base 1.8L auto towing 2009 Aliner Sport hardsided pop-up
IMakeVibes

Post by IMakeVibes »

Good score. I recently scored a Jayco popup myself. Definitely replace those tires. Even though they may not have much mileage on them, they are old by RV and trailer tire standards, which are different than passenger vehicle standards. A good source for tires and such is etrailer.com. Should inspect and repack the bearings while you're at it. Take a good look at the roof and floor for any leaks or soft spots and make sure it is well sealed. I've never pulled with my Vibe, but my concern, more than being able to pull the trailer would be being able to stop the trailer and the Vibe, which would be loaded down with passengers, camping gear, fuel, food, water, etc.
Hate to direct you away from this site, but popupportal.com has lots of great information about popups, including your Coleman model.

Good luck!