What did you do to your Vibe today?

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
Zimm

Re: (J_TO_ENVY)

Post by Zimm »

Quote, originally posted by J_TO_ENVY »Bought some 99 cent blind spot mirrors for the Vibes today. They make a huge difference. I highly recommend them, especially for the '09-'10 owners.i never thought to add those-what a great idea! where'd you get them for 99 cents? the autozone by me has them for like $5 a pair.
'10 Black w/1.8L AutoAir/PW/PL/PM
vibenvy

Re: (Zimm)

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by Zimm »i never thought to add those-what a great idea! where'd you get them for 99 cents? the autozone by me has them for like $5 a pair.Farm & Fleet.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
Zimm

Post by Zimm »

Quote, originally posted by J_TO_ENVY »Farm & Fleet.thanks! looks like i'm headed to autozone, because it would cost me $5 in gas to get to the nearest QF&F.
'10 Black w/1.8L AutoAir/PW/PL/PM
vibenvy

Re: (Zimm)

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by Zimm »thanks! looks like i'm headed to autozone, because it would cost me $5 in gas to get to the nearest QF&F.Yeah. I Farm & Fleet. I went there a few weeks ago and they had a bunch of random stuff by the registers that was all 99 cents. I ended up getting two small silver tire pressure gauges (one to keep in each Vibe) and I noticed they had the blind spot mirrors. I kept thinking about whether or not to get them, finally I decided why not, they're only 99 cents . Definitely glad I got them.
yesitsdrew5310

Post by yesitsdrew5310 »

I'm new to the site, two weeks ago I purchased a 2003 Vibe with 160k miles on it. Tonight I switched out the plugs and I am VERY sure they are the original plugs from when it was new, they were so worn.It will be nice to see how it feels driving tomorrow.
2003 Pontiac Vibe 1ZZ-FE
star_deceiver

Re: (yesitsdrew5310)

Post by star_deceiver »

Welcome to GenVibe!!! Try not to have too much fun with all your new found horsepower!!!
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
06pvibe

Re: What did you do to your Vibe today? (bodhi_tree777)

Post by 06pvibe »

Frosty Jake got his oil and filter changed today... for the first time since we've owned him. WIX #51394 & Pennzoil "Ultra Class" Full Synthetic 5w-30. 6,938 miles. (eek!) 'Guess I miss judged that one. We've had other things going on lately to take my attention away from full auto care, but now with full synth in there, he will be good for at least 10k miles before another change... w/a new filter in between, of course.I also rotated the tires (8/32" remaining all around w/even wear,) checked/set air pressures and all other fluids. Topped off the washer bottle, etc....That was the Vibe.My own car, the Mazda, had noisy brake issues addressed (hope that's the end of THAT,) rotors and calipers cleaned by hand, spark plugs and tire pressures checked, fog lights readjusted. I purposely keep them low (35w 5000k HIDs in reflector housings) but they were WAYYY too low to do any good.And that's only what I've done to the cars. I've been a fairly busy boy today.
FJ's Garage Thread "There is no tool you can buy that will replace experience." - Josh Mills, C.K.DeLuxe January 2011 GenVibe MOTM
mistertwo

Post by mistertwo »

Brought my vibe back to stock so I can trade it in tomorrow for my mazdaspeed 3 <3
ponta2147

Post by ponta2147 »

This was a while ago, but I finally posted the new custom leather stuff over on page 3 of my garage! http://forums.genvibe.com/zero...age=3Also I got my car covered in bugs from my trip to Iowa.
2009 2.4L Automatic with Preferred Package and Sun and Sound package May 2010 MOTM March 2011 VOTM
ponta2147

Post by ponta2147 »

Vacuumed out the interior and took the seat covers off for attempted washing... the pain is going to be putting them back on later.
2009 2.4L Automatic with Preferred Package and Sun and Sound package May 2010 MOTM March 2011 VOTM
BlueCrush

Re: (ponta2147)

Post by BlueCrush »

Got it washed for the 1st time in 2 months...
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
bassrocker032

Re: (BlueCrush)

Post by bassrocker032 »

Washed inside and out for the first time in a while. Also did some fog lgiht work. got a post on it. http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=42584
2005 Vibe Base 148k milesK&N Air Filter in stock boxCustom Painted interiorCustom Painted Engine BayAftermarket driving lightsMuch more to come http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=42124
06pvibe

Post by 06pvibe »

Did a quickie wash on him this morning then took the visiting MIL back to the airport (5 weeks!!) (We're FREE!!! We're FREE!!!)
FJ's Garage Thread "There is no tool you can buy that will replace experience." - Josh Mills, C.K.DeLuxe January 2011 GenVibe MOTM
lovemyraffe

Post by lovemyraffe »

Sorry about the dirty engine bay. Came in yesterday.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
bassrocker032

fixed my fogs

Post by bassrocker032 »

well since the plexi I fabricated the first time to fit my fogs ended up not being heat resistant as I feared, I had to replace it with something yet again. I was working on some glass when my brother in law pulls up to my house with some plastic that is used for spot lights that burn as bright as 1,000,000 candles so it should be heat resistant. But anyways, here's some pics. Still over all price spent on this mod/D.I.Y fix is $0 but I'm sure the most that would be spent on doing this if you didn't have a brother in law like mine would be no more that $15 which is alot better than the $45-$80 for the entire fog surrounding. I also installed the rectangular lights in the spot that was open beside my fogs. I won't be running all 6 at the same time, I plan on hooking my rectangular ones up to my brights so when I turn on my brights, my stock fogs go off and my AM ones come on. They are "driving lights" and the box didn't say off road use only. Just throwing that out there due to some debate on my other thread. I should be getting some later tonight with the lights on. Next on my list now is fixing my headlights. I'll keep updating away.
2005 Vibe Base 148k milesK&N Air Filter in stock boxCustom Painted interiorCustom Painted Engine BayAftermarket driving lightsMuch more to come http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=42124
burns

Post by burns »

Today, I put in a new tensioner, then discovered that not where the noise is coming from.
bassrocker032

Post by bassrocker032 »

Did you see my reply in the actual thread about the tensioner noise I was having?
burns

Post by burns »

I did, thanks for the heads up. I didn't give it a whole lot of thought since you said you but in a new engine. I guess I should check, I've got nothing to lose.
rmlmt

Re: What did you do to your Vibe today? (bodhi_tree777)

Post by rmlmt »

Hi, I'm new to the site. Got alot done to my 04 vibe over the past few days. I changed out my rear window wiper, cabin filter(Old one was Filthy, never changed by previous owner), installed a hitch and Hitch wiring and took the hubcaps off to spray paint the steel wheels black again to make them look new.http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=42700
Rmlmt2004 White Vibe base 82,000 MI
DressedInBlack

Re: What did you do to your Vibe today? (rmlmt)

Post by DressedInBlack »

dont get too bugged out by the old, black cabin air filter...some of the filters come that color. i thought the same thing when i changed mine but found that the old and the new (Fram CF10133) looked the same. well, at least that is what i told myself because i was so horrified.
http://
vibenvy

Re: What did you do to your Vibe today? (DressedInBlack)

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by DressedInBlack »dont get too bugged out by the old, black cabin air filter...some of the filters come that color. i thought the same thing when i changed mine but found that the old and the new (Fram CF10133) looked the same. well, at least that is what i told myself because i was so horrified. Quote, originally posted by rmlmt »cabin filter(Old one was Filthy, never changed by previous owner),There is a chance the old filter was actually one of the "high performance" charcoal filled ones. They are a dark grey color. Did the old filter feel pretty heavy compared to the new one?
rmlmt

Re: What did you do to your Vibe today? (J_TO_ENVY)

Post by rmlmt »

The cabin filter pic I took of the old one doesn't show all the dust,cat hair, dirt, and bugs I shook out of it before I took the pic. It didn't feel that much heavier but who knows, it could have been a high performance, charcoal filter. The only reason I didn't think it was ever changed was because with 80k miles on it the screw you have to remove on the side of the glove box to get to the cabin filter was in pristine condition looking like it never being touched after it got out of the factory. Even with as careful as I was removing the screw, I still had scratches on the screw, Plus most of the people I talk to don't even know they have a cabin filter let alone change it out on a regular basis. I watch Dexter so I know a little bit about CSI..lol
Rmlmt2004 White Vibe base 82,000 MI
vibenvy

Re: What did you do to your Vibe today? (rmlmt)

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by rmlmt »The cabin filter pic I took of the old one doesn't show all the dust,cat hair, dirt, and bugs I shook out of it before I took the pic. It didn't feel that much heavier but who knows, it could have been a high performance, charcoal filter. The only reason I didn't think it was ever changed was because with 80k miles on it the screw you have to remove on the side of the glove box to get to the cabin filter was in pristine condition looking like it never being touched after it got out of the factory. Even with as careful as I was removing the screw, I still had scratches on the screw, Plus most of the people I talk to don't even know they have a cabin filter let alone change it out on a regular basis. I watch Dexter so I know a little bit about CSI..lol Yeah, I pretty much figured it wasn't a charcoal filter, but you never know . But if it had hair, etc. on it and the screw was in perfect condition, than I'm sure it had never been changed, but it is the color of the charcoal filters .Tonight I put the factory intake back on my Vibe in preperation for having the latest recall done at the dealer tomorrow. I also finally pulled the OnStar fuses on both our Vibes.
DressedInBlack

Post by DressedInBlack »

why did you kill the OnStar?
vibenvy

Re: (DressedInBlack)

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by DressedInBlack »why did you kill the OnStar?Neither my mom nor I renewed our OnStar and the buttons being lit up at night was getting annoying and I was always afraid I'd accidentally hit one of the buttons while I was cleaning the mirror or something, so, thanks to advice of another member here, I simply removed the 10 amp fuse that powers all the OnStar stuff. It doesn't have an effect on anything else in the car, and if for any reason, we want it back all I have to do is pop the fuse back in.Today I got the latest recall done finally. Tonight I will be re-installing the K&N intake and taking a bunch of before and after pictures of the floor and accelerator pedal modifications and comparision pictures of the old and "new" driver's side GM all weather floor mats.
DressedInBlack

Post by DressedInBlack »

dang, i was hoping it was a secret HP boost!i never noticed any light coming from the buttons. but now it will be the ONLY thing i see since you pointed it out to me.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by DressedInBlack »dang, i was hoping it was a secret HP boost!i never noticed any light coming from the buttons. but now it will be the ONLY thing i see since you pointed it out to me. LOL! I guess removing the fuse could be considered weight reduction which would equal a horsepower increase !Yeah, the buttons light up green. The light was just really obnoxious and almost distracting at night. Also, they are lit up all the time. It doesn't matter whether any exterior lights are on or not. It really bothered me a couple weeks ago at the Drive-In because they were lit up since we had the radio on. I kept looking at them thinking, "I've got to pull that darn fuse!" If you (or any other 09-10 owners) want to pull the fuse, just take the cover off the engine compartment fuse box and flip it over. It shows a diagram and the fuse for OnStar is shown as "MAYDAY". It's a red 10 amp fuse.
ponta2147

Post by ponta2147 »

Wow, I have never noticed that it lit up. I'll have to check tomorrow when I finally get my car back from Chris (he's been working and hauling equipment around, so I've been stuck driving his car and feeling like I'm in the middle of the ground 'cause it's so low). But we are keeping my OnStar service, so no fuse-pulling for me!
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by ponta2147 »Wow, I have never noticed that it lit up. I'll have to check tomorrow when I finally get my car back from Chris (he's been working and hauling equipment around, so I've been stuck driving his car and feeling like I'm in the middle of the ground 'cause it's so low). But we are keeping my OnStar service, so no fuse-pulling for me!Okay, so apparently I'm the only (removed) retentive person that was annoyed by the OnStar buttons being lit up .I know what you mean about Chris' car. Looking back, I don't know how I ever drove lowered Sunfires .
ponta2147

Post by ponta2147 »

Quote, originally posted by J_TO_ENVY »Okay, so apparently I'm the only (removed) retentive person that was annoyed by the OnStar buttons being lit up .I know what you mean about Chris' car. Looking back, I don't know how I ever drove lowered Sunfires .It just means I clearly never check my rearview mirror.
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

Quote, originally posted by DressedInBlack »I never noticed any light coming from the buttons. but now it will be the ONLY thing i see since you pointed it out to me. Yes... For some reason I looked at those green buttons tonight. It's the first time I've even thought about the OnStar system while driving around in quite some time!I'll have a look at that fuse tomorrow!!!
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
vibenvy

Re: (star_deceiver)

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by ponta2147 »It just means I clearly never check my rearview mirror. LOL! I use mine all the time, especially when I'm backing out of the garage.Quote, originally posted by star_deceiver »Yes... For some reason I looked at those green buttons tonight. It's the first time I've even thought about the OnStar system while driving around in quite some time!I'll have a look at that fuse tomorrow!!!Glad I could help you out Ryan !
keithvibe

Re:

Post by keithvibe »

Trans fluid drained and filledfront and rear diff fluid drained and filled.thats all... nothing super duper
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
vibenvy

Re: Re: (keithvibe)

Post by vibenvy »

I went into Auto Zone today and was walking down the bulb aisle when I happened to look over and notice they had SilverStar 194 bulbs! I was so excited, I immediately grabbed a pair for our license markers! I have been hoping they would make this size for some time now so that all our exterior white lights would match. It's not quite as white as I was hoping it would be and thus, not quite as white as the other SilverStar bulbs in the Vibe, but I'm still happy with it nonetheless !Here's a comparison shot showing the stock bulb in my mom's license marker on the left and the SilverStar bulb in my license marker on the right:Since I had the camera out, I also took a couple pictures of the SilverStar 921 bulbs in the reverse lights (not the best, but you get the idea):Here's a comparison shot showing the stock bulb in the reverse light on the left and the SilverStar bulb in the reverse light on the right:SilverStars FTW !
ajb812

Post by ajb812 »

Quote, originally posted by J_TO_ENVY »I also finally pulled the OnStar fuses on both our Vibes.I did the same thing as well shortly after the first free year ended. It's a nice feature to have, but IMO they want entirely too much for the service (especially for the vibe which doesn't have all of the advertised features). I actually never even used it once in the first year, so I hardly miss it. However, instead of pulling the fuse, I just disconnected everything from the VCIM under the driver's seat. All gone, now I don't have to worry about big brother watching me ...

2009 Pontiac Vibe GT Jet Black Metallic
GenVibe Garage
vibenvy

Re: What did you do to your Vibe today? (ajb812)

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by ajb812 »I did the same thing as well shortly after the first free year ended. It's a nice feature to have, but IMO they want entirely too much for the service (especially for the vibe which doesn't have all of the advertised features). I actually never even used it once in the first year, so I hardly miss it. However, instead of pulling the fuse, I just disconnected everything from the VCIM under the driver's seat. All gone, now I don't have to worry about big brother watching me ... Yeah, I would have probably kept OnStar if the Vibe had all the good features, but since it doesn't I couldn't justify spending that kind of money. Plus I've survived 10 years of driving without it, so why start now .I would be leery of messing with all that stuff under the seat , but it would be nice to not have big brother knowing my every move.I changed the oil on my Vibe tonight. Checked all the fluids, blew out the cabin air filter, tapped out the intake air filter, checked the tires, etc.
DressedInBlack

Post by DressedInBlack »

i hugged my Vibe today. my neighbor saw me do it and now she won't talk to me.it was worth it though.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by DressedInBlack »i hugged my Vibe today. my neighbor saw me do it and now she won't talk to me.it was worth it though.(removed)! It's too bad we live so far apart, we could totally be friends !Have you hugged your Vibe today !?!
ponta2147

Post by ponta2147 »

I stroked the rear panel/taillight of mine affectionately after drying it off after a car wash... The front end of my Vibe is more pockmarked than a teenager's face from all the bugs
ajb812

Post by ajb812 »

Quote, originally posted by J_TO_ENVY »I would be leery of messing with all that stuff under the seat , but it would be nice to not have big brother knowing my every move.If it was actually a GM car I wouldn't have touched it (maybe try removing the fuse like you did, but that's about it). I've heard of some corvette owners who tried to disconnect and remove the VCIM, and the car would not start. In the GM vehicles it's completely integrated into the car and impossible to remove. However, since the vibe is actually a Toyota, the on star is just an add-on so I figured I'd try it. I disconnected it a few months ago and have had no problems or issues whatsoever ...

2009 Pontiac Vibe GT Jet Black Metallic
GenVibe Garage
NascarXprt

Re: What did you do to your Vibe today? (ajb812)

Post by NascarXprt »

Debadged her Friday, still need to clay bar the spots where the badges were and get the Graxwerks decals on once they arrive and order more.
My '04 Garage - My '06 Garage - My '09 GT Garage
November 2006 MOTM / February 2007 VOTM / April 2010 VOTM / June 2011 VOTM
A Psycho Martyr

Post by A Psycho Martyr »

Quote, originally posted by DressedInBlack »i hugged my Vibe today. my neighbor saw me do it and now she won't talk to me.it was worth it though.
129CBRider

Post by 129CBRider »

Changed the gear lube in my 5 speed. Tried to figure out why the headlight lenses are fried to a crisp on the inside. Think maybe the first guy who had it put hotter bulbs in it. How do you get them off?
Beware of frosty fall mornings and mountain roads. Mods: Strut bar, Typhoon air intake, 8x16 mag rims, 225/45 rubber, trailer hitch.
06pvibe

Re: (129CBRider)

Post by 06pvibe »

As it is with most modern cars with plastic headlamps, they have to be removed from the car and baked @ 200* for 20mins on a cookie sheet... keeping your eye on them at all times.There may also be a few plastic clips around the outside of the lens that pinch the caulking/sealant that holds them together.Unless doing others mods while they're off and apart though, I would simply look around for a pair of good used lights. The chances of saving the inner lens after it has been burned is imo, not very likely.
rAERRK

Post by rAERRK »

06pvibe

Re: (rAERRK)

Post by 06pvibe »

With those, you won't have to bake your headlights to get the lenses off. They will fly off on their own after about 20mins!!Be sure to post another picture of the scorched and burned lenses, and/or wiring harness.Sorry, Bud, but those (100/130watt) are a rookies move.
rAERRK

Re: (06pvibe)

Post by rAERRK »

Quote, originally posted by 06pvibe »With those, you won't have to bake your headlights to get the lenses off. They will fly off on their own after about 20mins!!Be sure to post another picture of the scorched and burned lenses, and/or wiring harness.Sorry, Bud, but those (100/130watt) are a rookies move.i figured someone would mention that. the bulbs are actually 55w and i was kind of surprised to see that the stock bulbs are made by sylvania
06pvibe

Post by 06pvibe »

Well then, why does the package "say" 130/100w? And do you buy (edit: into) that (edit: hype?)And why did you buy that?
rAERRK

Re: (06pvibe)

Post by rAERRK »

06pvibe

Post by 06pvibe »

Because of the 130/100w claim on the box in big numbers, I thought these were H4's for your headlights. And that 55w in the small yellow box can hardly be seen at all, at least in your picture. I can't read that. Now I see the yellow coming from the fogs.Usually when a halogen bulb package states things like 130/100w in big numbers they are trying to convince the customer of something that is either not probable, (e.g. Get 130w of power from this 55w bulb!!), or will cause serious harm to the vehicle, such as if the bulbs actually do draw 100-130watts... false advertising or "hype." Take your pick, and why I made my previous comments.I do like the look though, and if you get a lot of fog in your area, yellow bulbs may make it easier to see through/past it.On one car I owned and used to do night rallying in, I had both yellow and white "fogs." The yellows were only really great in bad weather and for that reason I didn't use them that often. But the white fogs were better for general lighting purposes and seeing corners, and turns... why white fogs were often called "cornering" lights back then. I don't hear that expression much anymore though. Perhaps because so many car these days come factory equipped with "fog" lights and people don't know the difference? Most cars didn't come with additional lighting back then (