Wheels,... I need wheels/ help me pick

Wheel and tire information and upgrade discussions
SalsaAWDvibe

Wheels,... I need wheels/ help me pick

Post by SalsaAWDvibe »

I bought a Salsa monotone AWD for my wife, and we really want to put on a set of aftermarket wheels. Since I will be keeping the stock 16" ones for winter, I was thinking of a chrome wheel. I also want to keep the price down, so I was considering staying with the 16" and new tires.There are so many to choose from it is hard to visualize them on the car. I have gone to Tirerack, but the pics are hard to really decide.So I need everyones advice.Chrome or not?Stay with 16"?Narrow spokes or thick ones?Straight spokes or turbine/twisted ones?Suggestions?Any pics of your choice?Thanks.....[Modified by SalsaAWDvibe, 2:49 PM 7/13/2002]
[Modified by SalsaAWDvibe, 2:51 PM 7/13/2002]
d_m_kolb

Re: Wheels,... I need wheels/ help me pick (SalsaAWDvibe)

Post by d_m_kolb »

I never understood why people want to change out wheels for winter time. I have had Chrome wheels on several cars in IL. and never had any trouble. I'd just clean them once a week like I did in the summer but I used hot water and then dryed them as well as I could in the winter months.Chrome wheels will be very pricie compared to polished or painted wheels. It's really up to you. Polished wheels are harder to take care of than chrome wheels because they need to be polished to keep them looking good. Painted wheels need the least attention and are also the cheapest.What size you want is up to you. If you get 17s or 18s just make sure the tire diameter isn't larger than the tire diameter on a stock 16 or you'll throw your speedo off.Use this link http://www.c5-corvette.com/tirecalc.htm to calculate the proper wheel aspect ratio and width This is another link that might help. http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/wheeltech.htm
d_m_kolb

Re: Wheels,... I need wheels/ help me pick (fritzburg)

Post by d_m_kolb »

16s do look good on the Vibe but I have seen some 17s and 18s that look good to with low profile tires.
NovaResource

Re: Wheels,... I need wheels/ help me pick (fritzburg)

Post by NovaResource »

I swapped out my stock 16" steel wheels/wheel covers for 17" wheels and tires (same size as the optional 17" Vibe wheels). Personally, I like painted or polished. Chrome looks gaudy (IMO). 17" will make the ride feel a little harsher due to the lower sidewall height. Here's mine:
[Modified by NovaResource, 10:58 AM 7/13/2002]
d_m_kolb

Re: Wheels,... I need wheels/ help me pick (NovaResource)

Post by d_m_kolb »

I like those wheels. Nice choice.
admin

Re: Wheels,... I need wheels/ help me pick (NovaResource)

Post by admin »

Hey, that's really nice looking.- Mike
yank dini

Post by yank dini »

http://www.wheelmax.com chrome wheels for cheap all name brands. You're stuck with Kuhmo or Falken Tires in the packages though
Gim67

Post by Gim67 »

I agree with keeping the stock wheels for winter.( cheaper to replace if dinged, easier to swap come springtime) I've been looking and pesonally i like a thick, square, 5spoke, 17". In my area packages start at about $1300cdn to whataver you want. I'm looking at 17x8 rims with 235/45 Yokohana high performace rubber, $1650 txinc.