Do I need to check valve clearance, or anything else anymore on 1ZZ engine?

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
clinteastwood

Do I need to check valve clearance, or anything else anymore on 1ZZ engine?

Post by clinteastwood »

Hi, I have a 2005 Auto FWD Pontiac Vibe with 214,000 miles on it. I've only had it since 180k miles or roughly 2.5 years ago. I've done transmission filter and fluid replacement, coolant flush with thermostat, multiple engine oil changes, fixed tensioner leak. Car runs great, I get up to 33 mpg when I do almost all highway driving, engine sounds good as far as I can tell. The owner's manual said to check valve clearances at 120,000 miles, if someone followed the manual I assume that was done then, hopefully.

If the engine seems to be running fine, no engine light, no misfiring, do I need to really check the valve clearances or is the VVTI system good enough to keep that in check? Is there anything else I should do to keep this thing running besides oil changes and checking fluids?

Thanks!
andrewclaus

Re: Do I need to check valve clearance, or anything else anymore on 1ZZ engine?

Post by andrewclaus »

From limited experience with Toyota engines, I've heard to leave the valves alone unless you get noise from them, or are tearing the head down for another problem.

I've had issues pop up, maybe once a year, with suspension and exhaust. A front oil seal leak recently, oil leak at the tensioner O-ring before that. The most money I've spent on mine in five years has been for tires.
clinteastwood

Re: Do I need to check valve clearance, or anything else anymore on 1ZZ engine?

Post by clinteastwood »

Thanks, yeah, my front struts and sway bar links were worn out. Got quotes of $1,273 and $1,600 for a shop to do it with an alignment, so did it myself, never got it aligned, didn't seem to need it.