Auto Show Hunters

Discussions about other vehicles other than the Vibe & Matrix.
tpollauf

Re: Auto Show Hunters

Post by tpollauf »

Bookworm wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:58 pm The front seat is even still solid! No lardasses :)
You crack me up !!! :lol: Love it !!! ;) Breate in ... Breathe out. You gotta be feeling pretty good by now. Thanks for sharing your thoughts AND most important, for the sake of this forum, THANKS for getting involved here at GenVibe. :D
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT, 2003 Vibe GT (project car)

"everything is modifiable"
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

tpollauf wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:52 pm
Bookworm wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:58 pm The front seat is even still solid! No lardasses :)
You crack me up !!! :lol: Love it !!! ;) Breate in ... Breathe out. You gotta be feeling pretty good by now. Thanks for sharing your thoughts AND most important, for the sake of this forum, THANKS for getting involved here at GenVibe. :D
Oh, I've been in and out of here for the last 12 years. I've also pointed other people here to get information on their car(s). There are still a lot of Vibe/Matrix(s) on the roads today, considering how "few" were made, compared to, say, Accords or Corollas.
jamsandwich

Post by jamsandwich »

joatmon wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:57 am The 22 Cross is on the Toyota website, lists starting MSRP for the base at $22.5K, for the AWD at $26.3K. Exterior dimensions are really close to a Vibe, 169HP to a CVT, MPG (city/highway/combined) 2WD 31/33/32 AWD 29/32/30
I think they may be showing up locally soon, or may have already and then sold out, I'm not sure. It seems like it's a good size vs. the Vibe.

It always surprises me how big the Vibe is because I don't think it really looks it. Our neighbour has a CX-3 and at a quick glance it looks roughly the same size, but examining it closer, it seems like it's quite a bit smaller, at least in terms of usable interior space. So many of the vehicles I think might be comparable (Corolla Hatch), other various hatchbacks tend to disappoint.

If I recall correctly, the Vibe was even within spitting distance of the CX-5(!) when it came to seats-down cargo capacity.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Looking at the pictures, the Toyota Cross looks exactly like what the Matrix could have evolved to if they hadn't cut the line completely.

fender/wheel guards like the 2003 series. They lost the rear corner windows, but that's because of being forced to have the airbags back there. (It's amazing how they keep screaming "make them safer" and that involves removing the ability to -see-)

Rear door is higher, front grille is that weird huge nose I've been seeing on everything.

It does appear that the interior height, at least for the back, is MUCH shorter than the Vibe/Matrix. Seats are definitely fold-flat.

I guess I have a good idea of what to look for in two/three years when I'm ready for the next car.

Oh - I did come across a 1991 Tercel that was being sold for $1200. I was tempted - manual transmission, still running, parts are readily available and cheap, and you can even still buy interior carpet. Three years from now, my daughter's going to be doing her driver's ed.
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

after dumping Ford, Mazda focused heavily on their zoom-zoom concept. I wish they would now evolve from zoom-zoom to room-room. While they do make the most reliable cars and can compete with Kia for interior quality, I'm not going to shoehorn myself into one of them unfortunately. Huge center consoles, poor headroom and the aforementioned poor visibility out the C and rear windows are just not inviting to me.
Homer wants a hybrid Forester with a traditional shifting transmission, no leaky/sunbaked moonroof and no AWD. And is it too much to ask for brake lights that are bigger than the dime sized dots on the back of a Rav 4 to get the attention of the driver behind me playing Wordle on their phone? Herb, are you listening? Will you build this for me?
Live it up: There will be plenty of time to be old when you die.
* '09 Vibe: 1.8 liter *
* '10 Hyundai Elantra Touring *
* '07 Honda Fit Sport *
On Deck: '23 Kia Sportage or Niro/'23 Subaru Crosstrek/'23 Honda CRV or HRV
jamsandwich

Post by jamsandwich »

Yeah, I may have mentioned it but we sat in the CX-5 and found the room so lacking that we didn't even bother driving it when we bought my wife's CR-V. I was really excited by the idea of the Mazda but in practice it just wasn't going to happen. The guy even opened up a CX-9 for us, and for something that is supposedly a whole class up, I'd say it was probably on par, in terms of capacity, with the Forester or CR-V, or really close to it.

I really dislike the "standard sunroof" that seems to be a thing on higher trims these days. In a RAV-4, the lost headroom basically makes it a non-starter for me.

I feel like in a few years, maybe something closer to an ideal car will be there for me... then again, maybe we're inching closer to being a one-car family. At any rate, I'm happy my wife loves the Honda. And the Vibe continues going strong for me, so I guess no major complaints here.
Caretaker

New Kia Sportage

Post by Caretaker »

I was going down the highway when I saw these boomerang shaped daytime running lights in the parking lot of my closest Kia dealership. It stunned me for a second, but I was able to avoid an accident and pull in to the dealership. I was not aware that the new Sportage had been delivered. They told me it has been a few weeks now. I sat in the base model inside the dealership. Amazing vehicle, despite all the hard plastics in the base model. I actually had to put the driver's seat forward (just) a bit from its furthest position. I don't ever remember doing that in a vehicle. Even with the seat back, I had "Elantra Touring" like legroom in the back seat. The "flopping around room" for my legs in the driver's seat was satisfactory for such a large center console; not ideal, but satisfactory and MUCH better than the CX5. The storage area in the back is cavernous with easy levers to flip down the rear seats (which go all the way down even with the headrest attached and only graze the front seat backs as they fall). The side mirrors are huge. The seat comfort is typical firm Hyundai quality material. I told the salesman to email me when the hybrid version comes out, as well as the next Kia Niro. The negatives I noticed on the new Sportage are: 1. I didn't like the left arm resting position with the seat all the way back. 2. I didn't particularly like the arm reach to the steering wheel with my seat in the proper position. While I can grab the lower wheel just fine, the 10-2 position seemed to extend my arm to a place where it wouldn't stay there long in that position during a long drive. 3. there is no spare tire; only a run-flat kit. I'm sure the hybrid will be the same given the battery pack will be stored under the aft section. Anyway, the car is as impressive as the dozens of reviews I've watched on you tube.
* '07 Honda Fit Sport *
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

1. I admire your self control. A couple of years ago I started looking so that I'd be familiar with what was available, and bought something two months later. I guess the thought of a new car compelled me. Afraid of that, I haven't been paying a lot of attention to new models.

2. The redesigned KIA logo always makes me think of Nine Inch Nails

3. I have nothing productive to offer in this post. Guess that should have been said first :)
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

I think #1 and #2 are useful. I can't say enough how grateful I am to all those in India, South Africa and Australia for their YouTube posts, as they always seem to get releases of new models about a year before we do in the US. I watch hours of video of models I am interested in. One can't think of everything to look for when going into a dealer and sitting in a car for the first time so sometimes I bring notes with me from what I learned from the overseas videos. Many other times, multiple opinions of the same item (ie: seats were way too unsupportive, or automatically comes with a sunroof) help me to weed through the models or trims that I once was interested in but due to consensus among multiple testers/drivers, I can negate the models from my list.
It would be all too easy to simply park a new Sportage, Forester or Crosstrek in my driveway today. These are three outstanding vehicles. However, since I hate driving and will not suddenly love driving as I get older, long road trips are out, and with it, the need for a larger vehicle with huge trunk space. I have always driven Corollas in whatever iteration, and can't see me driving a larger vehicle now that there are 276 million registered cars on the road in the US. I have avoided hundreds of accidents due to driving small vehicles. With more distracted idiots, that makes collision avoidance even more imperative. As I've said before, if my Vibe died tomorrow, I'd be getting a Crosstrek Sport. I really want to see the 2023 offering however and avoid getting a 6 year old dated design. Ideally I will have a hybrid in my driveway as gas prices are likely to soar in the coming decade as oil finally gets the boot and electrification takes the stage.
Regarding the Kia logo, all I see is KN as in North Korea.
* '07 Honda Fit Sport *
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Just as an FYI - almost all cars now only come with a run flat kit, at best. It's a way for them to reduce curb weight (and save money).

I think that's part of the reason for all the hard plastics as well - they're eliminating as much metal that before would provide rigidity to softer materials.