Highest miles

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
FCser

Highest miles

Post by FCser »

Who has the highest miles on their Vibe? The highest I've seen is 185,000. For those who have high mileage, have you experienced any issues besides the regular consumable parts that need to be replaced, struts, cat, breaks etc?My Vibe is crashed and I'm thinking about bidding on a 2003 vibe (with 185,000 miles) in an upcoming auction.
zionzr2

Re: Highest miles (FCser)

Post by zionzr2 »

I've seen 299,999 Km. But it was not my vibe. I have a long way to go...I'm only at 53,000 miles
JohnC

Post by JohnC »

101,000 miles here. Water pump started weeping/dripping at 65k. Just ordered a cam cover gasket so I can check the valve clearance, but that is normal upkeep.Still have plenty of original brake pads left, I drive mostly hiway miles.I expect to put another 100k on this car with no problems.
Base Two Tone Satellite, Auto, & Pwr Pkg....my current commuting car.
DavidPIL

Post by DavidPIL »

I'm also nowhere close to 185,000 but I'm closing in on 112,000 miles. Brakes still original. Clutch still original (yes, I have the GT too!), Nothing major wrong yet though had some weird sounds coming from the engine on a long trip back from Virginia this past weekend. I'm thinking it's a minor Valve issue with a very hot engine. I replaced the Cat a year and a half ago but that was only because I had a complete custom exhaust done.Can you have the car checked over before bidding? Check Carfax on it maybe? I would guess that any car with that many miles will have a handful of things that either needs to be replaced right away or will need things done soon. If it's just wear and tear parts, that's not so bad. If the engine and transmission as well as the body and electricals are in good shape, everything else is a bit cheaper to replace, if needed.Dave
jwalcik

Re: Highest miles (zionzr2)

Post by jwalcik »

Quote, originally posted by zionzr2 »I've seen 299,999 Km. But it was not my vibe. I seem to recall someone on here who had several Vibes as part of a car service. Didn't they say that the odometer maxed out at 299,999 (regardless of unit)?
2005 vibe gt
FCser

Post by FCser »

Great to hear people's experiences. I did run an "autocheck" vehicle history report, the car has only had one owner, no salvage title or any other negative reports. It does have a CEL code for PO420 which I've found is related to the cat or O2 sensors. I do have my old car for spare parts which had 97500 miles when it was crashed into. I was looking for a salvaged Vibe to rebuild the old one but this one on the upcoming auction seems to be a good option if I can get it for around $3,000 to $4,000.
joatmon

Re: (FCser)

Post by joatmon »

If the 03 is a 5-speed, then I'd be concerned about the tranny bearings.The P0420 is probably the catalytic converter. I'm not nearly the highest miles at only 174K, but aside from 5 speed tranny problems, and a bad cat, the car is doing great. 185K is a lot of miles on any car, so you would definitely not want to pay too much for it. If you decide to part out the old Vibe, you might be able to offset the purchase price some. Keep what you need first before offering up any parts here.Savoy was a the mileage leadere for a while, but he hasn't posted for too long
ToolGuy

Re: Highest miles (jwalcik)

Post by ToolGuy »

Quote, originally posted by jwalcik »I seem to recall someone on here who had several Vibes as part of a car service. Didn't they say that the odometer maxed out at 299,999 (regardless of unit)?You are correct! This guy used them for a Taxi service. His OD's stopped at 299,999 like you said. 185,000 is a little too much for me to get involved with as a used car. But if the price is right and like you said you have the spare car for parts, you might make out on it.
redlava

Re: Highest miles (ToolGuy)

Post by redlava »

Hey, you never know... 185K is a lot for today's cars, but my '79 Malibu had 235,000 on it when I gave it back to my Dad. The only engine issues I had with it were the ones I caused from doing something stupid with it. You might be able to get yourself a decent car for way cheap!!!PS: 1 year after I gave it back (1999) somebody vandalized it by poking a hole in the oil filter and the engine threw a rod. She would probably still be running now if not for that.
WaveAction

Post by WaveAction »

im at 16,000 km's..i've got a very long time to go...anyone know what the max is on the canadian vibes??
hjwii

Re: (WaveAction)

Post by hjwii »

Well, today I passed 160,000 miles... 160,002 to be exact...I have a 2005 Vibe... commute 140 miles a day, 5 days a week. Although, when it costs $50 to fill up a Vibe, I'm thinking it's time to purchase a cot for the office and spend a couple of days a week in town.And, knock wood, the only issues I have had with my car has been 1 dead battery, 3 sets of tires, and 5 windshields (driving in rural Louisiana can be hazardous...). And, for what it's worth, I get an oil change every 5,000 miles and rotate the wheels every 10,000....
scooter

Re: (FCser)

Post by scooter »

Quote, originally posted by FCser »I was looking for a salvaged Vibe to rebuild the old one but this one on the upcoming auction seems to be a good option if I can get it for around $3,000 to $4,000. Maybe it's just me, but 3-4k for a Vibe with that many miles on it sounds a little pricey....
03 AWD Neptune, Auto, Moon and TunesTraded 6/30/2008 for09 GT Red Hot Metallic, 5spd auto, sunroof
joejoev

Post by joejoev »

I just hit the magical 299,999 miles a couple of days ago. Started a new thread to celebrate in the Lounge.http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=33767