how to - make a pet barrier

Technical info on the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix including do-it-yourself info
VibeDog

how to - make a pet barrier

Post by VibeDog »

hi,my first post. i needed a pet barrier, but since the toyota one is $120-150 or so, i came up with a DIY for around $15 in parts (the other supplies i already had on hand.)here is the parts list:parts list1/2 in copper water pipe - 13 lengths 2 - 30.5 in 1 - 21 in 2 - 15 in 2 - 13.5 in 2 - 8.75 in 4 - 3.675 inpipe fitting - 6 elbowspipe fitting - 4 teesscrews - 4, 6 mm diameter and 25 mm longpaint - 2 cans1 - metal primer2 - gray painttools/supplies neededsandpaper - to rough outer pipe surface for primer adhesiontube cutter - cut pipe to specified lengthstube wire brush - to clean and prepare solder surfacespropane torchsolderflux and flux brushbasically use the tube cutter to cut the copper pipe to length and rough sand all pieces. lay it out as shown in the sketch. all pipes are pushed into fittings and placed flat on something that can withstand the heat from the torch. solder all fittings so the barrier is flat EXCEPT the bottom tees which need to be angled up to match the profile of the back seat, you can see some wood blocks were used to support the angle in the picture.if you have never soldered before, just ask for some advice at your hardware store, since this isn't plumbing, you don't have to worry about a "leak proof" solder job, just something that will hold things together. spray primer on, and then two coats of paint.install using the purchased 6mm diameter screws into the rails on the back seat.notes:the construction takes a couple of hours. painting can be applied and dry over a few hours so the whole job is a weekend project.copper is soft, so if you don't get things exact you should be able to bend a bit to get the holes to line up with the nuts in the cargo tracks on the back seat. if you have a little dog you might want to make an extra row and the space between the bars smaller.the montage was created with the freeware program imagemagick, from http://www.imagemagick.org and the command used to combine the five pics (with file names pic1.gif, pic2.gif ... pic5.gif) ismontage -tile 1x5 -geometry 896x600 p*.gif t.gif

Attached files
mods:DIY pet barrier, see postInjen CAI - conflicting emotions, fun to drive, pain to installDIY ground wires (complete waste of time)car: 2003 vibe, neptune, mono, awd mileage: 26 mpg over initial 4,000 mile period"keep thy heart with all diligence, for out of it are the issues of life"
NSimkins
Global Moderator

Re: how to - make a pet barrier (VibeDog)

Post by NSimkins »

Quote, originally posted by VibeDog »hi,Welcome to GenVibe!Quote, originally posted by VibeDog »my first post.And what a post indeed! Thanks for posting the how-to and pictures - a fine resource for members with the same situation. Love the dog too!
rasermon

Post by rasermon »

Welcome to genvibe and enjoy your stay.That is some post for your first one. Great job! I would need one behind the two front seats.
Satellite 03 GT Retirement ----> Moderator for Genvibe.com 2002 - 2007 A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says (removed)
cohocarl

Post by cohocarl »

Welcome!! Great post!! I saw a Vibe in Saginaw the other day that had the pet barrier and I thought it would be handy to have, but I like your idea alot better, and you can't beat the price!!
Sold 6/16/04 03 Vibe 5-speed, Hotchkis Sway Bars & Springs, Hooker Aerochamber, Panasonic Stereo, Hitch, Silverstars,04 Saturn Vue 2.2L Ecotec, 5-speed, 01 Stratus R/T Coupe 5-speed (wife's car) 85 Corvette 268 CompCam, 882 heads, FlatTops, 24lb injectors, Hooker Aerochamber true duals, 58mm TB, Holley AFPR, Siamesed intake base, Polished TPI.
scherry2

Re: how to - make a pet barrier (cohocarl)

Post by scherry2 »

what a fantastic Idea what a great 1st impression welcome to genvibe
JohnC

Post by JohnC »

Great project and post, we need more "how-to" like this! Welcome and thanks!
Base Two Tone Satellite, Auto, & Pwr Pkg....my current commuting car.
Geo

Post by Geo »

WOA ANOTHER MADISON VIBE OWNER!!! O_O O_O O_O O_OYay, I am not alone in this world! This is an awesome idea there, almost makes me wish I had a dog that would allow me to use the barrier idea.Perhaps I could stuff one of my housemates in that space on our next outing ... We should meet up, being in Madison and all ... I think you're the first Madison Vibe that has posted since I have, wholly sucks because I see Vibes almost every day around town!
BADGER PRIDE
AKLGT

Re: how to - make a pet barrier (Geo)

Post by AKLGT »

wow! now that's a post! thanks for all that creativity and hard work! oh ya, welcome to genvibe!
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
Vibe

Post by Vibe »

Great Idea---And BTW---a very nice looking dog. James (Vibe)
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

Fantastic writeup!Very resourceful!Great idea!My friend wants me to drive with her down to Georgia to get her dog and drive him back up. Just might have to make one of these!Thanks again, and welcome aboard!
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
3.6L V6 (256 HP @ 6300 rpm, 248 ft-lbs. @ 2100 rpm)
VibeDog

Post by VibeDog »

Thanks for all the replies! i've been visiting the site for a few months and enjoy the entertaining and informative banter, and now i see it is funner to post than just read. i added an avatar of ol' blue eyes, i never knew there was a special word for the pic below the username.A little update,On the sketch where it says 7" above floor, it should read 6", i uploaded a new figure, but i'm not sure if it refreshes correctly. the wood blocks i used only raised it 5.5" and the vertical part isn't exactly vertical, but close enough.I think the most important distance to get correct is the distance from rail center to rail center, i remeasured it this morning and it is between 21 5/8" and 21 3/4". so, before you sweat the solder joint at the tees, triple check the down tubes are spaced properly, and also take a tape measure to your vibe to see that my dimensions make sense. and always, "measure twice, cut once". and the through holes to attach the screws to the rail nuts, i put mine 2" and 9" from the lowest part on the down tube- and they seem secure enough.i've used this barrier for a few weeks and it seems to work fine, however, i think i'll forego the "leave a bucket of KFC chicken in the back seat and see if the beagle can get it" test.
mods:DIY pet barrier, see postInjen CAI - conflicting emotions, fun to drive, pain to installDIY ground wires (complete waste of time)car: 2003 vibe, neptune, mono, awd mileage: 26 mpg over initial 4,000 mile period"keep thy heart with all diligence, for out of it are the issues of life"
Geo

Post by Geo »

Once again, awesome post :DMakes me wish I had a use to build that just so that I could ...I'll have to look for you around Madison when I am out. I'm currently living near the UW Campus, by the Zoo. Family's house is over on the North side of town by the Airport - I just don't recall ever seening a Neptune Vibe with any of the Injen sounds coming from it ... Just wondering where you mostly drive around. I'll have to look for ya :D
BADGER PRIDE
Kissfan79

Re: how to - make a pet barrier (cohocarl)

Post by Kissfan79 »

Eyyyy!!! I was born in Saginaw! Jim
Abyss Vibe GT monotoneMoon & Tunes w/6 disc changerCargo nets and mat93 Octane w/ lots o' KISS in the CD changer
Houston

Re: how to - make a pet barrier (rasermon)

Post by Houston »

I would need one behind the two front seats.[QUOTE=rasermon]I cut one out of a sheet of 1/4" plexiglass (I think 1/8" would work just as well) just a few inches wider than the space between the seats. Cut it to the height you want and shape the bottom to cling to the hump on the floor. It's held in place by a short bungie cord that I attach to each head-rest brace and behind the plexiglass. On the bottom I use a similar strap between the inner seat bracket of one seat, behind the plexiglass, and to the other seat bracket. It's worked great for keeping my girlfriend's Golden Retriever in the back. Only takes about ten minutes. It was so easy, in fact, that I made the same thing for our other three cars.
2009 Base 2.4L with a few add-ons.
rasermon

Re: how to - make a pet barrier (Houston)

Post by rasermon »

Thanks Houston, I'll have to look into this during x-mas break.
Satellite 03 GT Retirement ----> Moderator for Genvibe.com 2002 - 2007 A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says (removed)
Houston

Re: how to - make a pet barrier (rasermon)

Post by Houston »

An additional advantage is that since it's clear you'll even forget it's there. I've slammed my hand into that thing more than once while reaching back for something. Be sure you cut it high enough so's it won't slip under the bungie cord.
2009 Base 2.4L with a few add-ons.
videoproducer

Post by videoproducer »

Wow, this is great. My wife decided to be a hero and rescue Boxer's. We are on our 9th foster in 18 months, lot of work and I get so pissed off when they mess up the Vibe, they have lots of energy. I am going to get the copper in the morning and hopefully by tomorrow eve I will have a Boxer barrier. Thanks again this is great, did I say that? ThanksJohn
Mr. Poopypants

Post by Mr. Poopypants »

Welcome to Genvibe! And great idea! I am looking to get a second dog (Weimeraner)(sp?). And that would really come in handy.
A bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory.
kostby

Post by kostby »

Dogs, heck!That clear barrier idea also great for keeping the kidlets in the back, a la police cruisers & taxi cabs! Welcome to Genvibe, by the way.

My 2003 Vibe Base Auto 2-tone Salsa "SalsaWagon" was built in May 2002. I acquired it in Feb 2004/Traded it in on a 2016 Honda HR-V in Feb 2018.
jwalcik

Post by jwalcik »

thanks for the post! i printed it out, and a friend who does AC repair put the frame together for me with some spare tubing. instead of using screws to mount it to the tie-down anchors in the tracks, i used four hose clamps to attach some small brass hooks to the frame. then i just screw in the tie-downs and hang it on the back of the seat. it's probably not nearly as secure, but it makes removal a snap. i was worried that if i used screws and screwed them through the soft copper too many times, it'd boar the holes out and weaken the tubes.
2005 vibe gt
Turin39789

Re: how to - make a pet barrier (Houston)

Post by Turin39789 »

Quote, originally posted by Houston »I would need one behind the two front seats.[QUOTE=rasermon]I cut one out of a sheet of 1/4" plexiglass (I think 1/8" would work just as well) just a few inches wider than the space between the seats. Cut it to the height you want and shape the bottom to cling to the hump on the floor. It's held in place by a short bungie cord that I attach to each head-rest brace and behind the plexiglass. On the bottom I use a similar strap between the inner seat bracket of one seat, behind the plexiglass, and to the other seat bracket. It's worked great for keeping my girlfriend's Golden Retriever in the back. Only takes about ten minutes. It was so easy, in fact, that I made the same thing for our other three cars.Do you have any pictures of that?I've got a great dane that takes up the entire rear, but I also have smaller dogs that can just go in the back. So I'm thinking about getting an adjustable off the shelf option a la - http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/B...64928 - anyone got any experience with this sort?Or building the copper one for the rear and trying to find/make something else for the front.
djb383

Post by djb383 »

DAYUM! U da man!
'05 Lava Tutone base, Pwr Grp, Moon & Tunes, 16" alloys, Auto.....Yep, it's gotta HEMI
zionzr2

Post by zionzr2 »

This DIY has just been added to the Mod Index!