Why does my new car starter have such poor range?

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
goochsmooch

Why does my new car starter have such poor range?

Post by goochsmooch »

I recently had a Titan TS 131MXR advanced remote starter for my 2009 1.8L Vibe with manual transmission. The installer is recommended through my dealership and is one of the most reputable in town.The problem is that the starter has about 30 feet of range! Sometimes the difference between starting and not starting is walking a few feet closer. I've had starter that cost half what I paid for this one and they've had 4 times the range. Before I take it back to the dealership and raise hell, is anybody aware of any reason that the starter would be so poor? Is it a cheap starter (I paid $500 including install), does Onstar interfere with the signal? Thanks in advance for any replies.
2009 1.8L Vibe - Manual
ou.grizzly

Post by ou.grizzly »

$500 for an install? Wow, I had a car start installed on another vehicle (they key has a programmable chip) and it was only $200 bucks with a range of easily over 500 feet.
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
nygiantzz1

Re: Why does my new car starter have such poor range? (goochsmooch)

Post by nygiantzz1 »

Try moving the antenna to a different spot. They usally get installed near the rear view mirror or along the A pillar. It may be mounted too close to the headliner, which can block the signal to the antenna.
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

As funny as this may sound, try buying a new battery for the remote, even if the one included was still sealed. The battery could just be a lemon. Never know.
April 2010 Co-MOTM * Custom LED Gauge Cluster swap * LED dome, HVAC, and shifter * Retrofit projector w/ blue halo * Kenwood KDC-HD942U * Herculined cargo area * Debadged *Wolfman's Garage
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

This is even funnier... You got any fillings in your mouth? try putting the remote up to your mouth and starting it.... I can't explain WHY, but it's always worked for me to get more range.. Silly but a commonly known "psudo-fact" in the car audio/alarm community..
dragon64

Re: (Sublimewind)

Post by dragon64 »

A trick from the R&D engineers at Autostart. Hold the remote under your chin and face directly toward the car works especially well in built up urban area were RF and building interfere with the signal from the remote.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Manual - DBW controller, Hydraulic engine damper, S/S brakeline retrokit,22mm solid Rear ARB, urethane rear coil dampers, Front strut bar with brake cylinder brace, PIAA 410 driving lights, PRM Intake Wilwood front brakes, Lexus hood lifts
prathman

Re: (dragon64)

Post by prathman »

Quote, originally posted by dragon64 »A trick from the R&D engineers at Autostart. Hold the remote under your chin and face directly toward the car works especially well in built up urban area were RF and building interfere with the signal from the remote. You're basically using your body as a ground plane which does help improve antenna performance. But the OP says the range is only 30' whereas Titan advertises a range of up to 2000' - clearly something is wrong there and it's not going to be fixed by the minor boost you get by holding it close to your body. Take it back to the shop and have them fix/replace/install a good battery/whatever.
breezd

Re: (prathman)

Post by breezd »

Quote, originally posted by prathman »You're basically using your body as a ground plane which does help improve antenna performance. But the OP says the range is only 30' whereas Titan advertises a range of up to 2000' - clearly something is wrong there and it's not going to be fixed by the minor boost you get by holding it close to your body. Take it back to the shop and have them fix/replace/install a good battery/whatever.I agree, take it back to the installer. Typically, as long as these items are installed at a shop, they have some sort of warranty. Take the car to them and tell them whats going on. I'm sure that if your dealer recommended them, they must have a good reputation, and they should take care of you.
THEN: 2003 Pontiac Vibe GT * Lowered * CAI * Sound SystemNOW: 2005 Infiniti FX35 RWD * Stock
audiovibe

Post by audiovibe »

Was the RS programed to the factory Key fob? Some cars allow you to tap a button twice to open an accesory output, normaly it will be the lock button.Aron
Vibe is gone and will be missed as I've gone country style