Howto: disable reverse beep and replace with LED

Technical info on the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix including do-it-yourself info
electrolund

Howto: disable reverse beep and replace with LED

Post by electrolund »

I have a howto up on my blog for disabling the reverse beep of a 2003 Matrix and replacing it with and LED lamp.Lots of pictures, all 800x600, and steps for the process. Sorry, I couldn't find this mod anywhere else on this forum, so I started a new thread.Here's the link.Let me know if anyone has any questions! Feel free to leave a comment here and on the blog!
Mase

Re: Howto: disable reverse beep and replace with LED (electrolund)

Post by Mase »

Very cool. I actually wrote up a how-to on matrixowners a a year or so ago. Yours is much more complete though with better pics. I've done this mod on my Matrix and Corolla. On the Corolla, I installed the LED in the top-left corner of the shifter base cover. On the Matrix, I installed it in the same place as yours, but your install is a lot cleaner.
ToolGuy

Post by ToolGuy »

Reverse beep? Glad my Vibe does not have that, mine would have been DOA instantly...At any rate great mod!
scherry2

Post by scherry2 »

you say its a 6 speed automatic but have a picture of a manual on the site. so I take it this is a manual only item? cause mine doesn't beep in reverse.
electrolund

Re: Howto: disable reverse beep and replace with LED (scherry2)

Post by electrolund »

Quote, originally posted by scherry2 »you say its a 6 speed automatic but have a picture of a manual on the site. so I take it this is a manual only item? cause mine doesn't beep in reverse.Jeez, that was a silly error! It's corrected now.
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

that was one of the very first mods i did on my VGT back in 03. that reverse beep drove me nuts!!!!
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
AKLGT

Re: Howto: disable reverse beep and replace with LED (scherry2)

Post by AKLGT »

Quote, originally posted by scherry2 »you say its a 6 speed automatic but have a picture of a manual on the site. so I take it this is a manual only item? cause mine doesn't beep in reverse.the reverse beep is only in the 6 spd 2zz engines. i believe they did it because the reverse and first gear are next to each other.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
dallarosaj

Post by dallarosaj »

The link does not work. Can you e-mail me on how to do it.
bluebob88

Post by bluebob88 »

I just did this mod today, and the check engine light came on. Is this normal or is this a coinsidence? I cut the correct wire, and the beep beep has stopped.EDIT:The check engine light went away after I drove it again. I forgot that I drove to the store without my gauges, I'm guessing that was it.
electrolund

Re: Howto: disable reverse beep and replace with LED (dallarosaj)

Post by electrolund »

Quote, originally posted by dallarosaj »The link does not work. Can you e-mail me on how to do it.I just checked the link and it's still working. Maybe the page didn't load for you. Try again.
03frostygt

Post by 03frostygt »

I just tried it too and nothing came up.