My try with a solid cargo cover

Upholstery, floor mats, seats, window tint and anything inside the vehicle and not electronic
miked

My try with a solid cargo cover

Post by miked »

This is my try with the cargo cover. I think I did fine with my first try, please let me knw what you think of it. I could then try to upgrade it.Here are a few pics

Attached files
'05 Moonstone, 5 Spd sunroof, power pkg, 16'' mags
miked

Re: My try with a solid cargo cover (miked)

Post by miked »

here it is with the glass open

Attached files
miked

Post by miked »

Finally with everything close.So let me know what you think

Attached files
scherry2

Post by scherry2 »

what is it made from? interesting Idea for the small flip lid. can you store stuff on top?2 hinged small post on each side of the flip up access part down to the floor might help.
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

Looks good. I like the little hatch door to access underneath. Nice Job!
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
miked

Re: My try with a solid cargo cover (scherry2)

Post by miked »

Quote, originally posted by scherry2 »what is it made from? interesting Idea for the small flip lid. can you store stuff on top?2 hinged small post on each side of the flip up access part down to the floor might help. As it still need some improvement I can put like 10 lbs on it.But I have some other though to try.
JohnC

Post by JohnC »

Very ingenious. Watch GM start offering one like yours soon.
Base Two Tone Satellite, Auto, & Pwr Pkg....my current commuting car.
scherry2

Post by scherry2 »

legs like this:

Attached files
ZubenElGenubi

Post by ZubenElGenubi »

Very cool! I see you followed Atomb's design that he posted in my thread. I like the covering as well. If you're looking for more support, you could put a spar lengthwise underneath behind your hinge (like a 2"x2" beam).I couldn't tell how you attached it to the loops; could you show pics of that?Nice work!
miked

Re: My try with a solid cargo cover (ZubenElGenubi)

Post by miked »

It actually dont attach to the loop, I've maid some brackets to but behind these loop.Will put some pics tomorrow and as for the 2 legs, they are not necessary since the loops are so close to the door.Thank you
miked

Re: My try with a solid cargo cover (JohnC)

Post by miked »

Quote, originally posted by JohnC »Very ingenious. Watch GM start offering one like yours soon.LOL could append. I think I will do it before... to be continued
ArcsVibe

Post by ArcsVibe »

Hmm I like it! Can I give you my order now ?
Genvibe Global Moderator
MOTM September 06 & July 09
VOTM April 06
Neptune Vibe 2003 (7-10-2003 - 9-14-2010 vendu/sold)
Mazda3 GX 2008 (9-14-2010 - 5-09-2014 vendu/sold)
Matrix XR 2010 (5-09-2014)

zionzr2

Post by zionzr2 »

I like it too...might have to work out one of my own!!
miked

Re: My try with a solid cargo cover (ArcsVibe)

Post by miked »

Quote, originally posted by ArcsVibe »Hmm I like it! Can I give you my order now ?We could talk about it at the meet.
ArcsVibe

Post by ArcsVibe »

Quote, originally posted by miked »We could talk about it at the meet.Great! Looking forward to it.Let me ask you a question. Is that cargo cover from a Cavalier? Which car is it from?
Genvibe Global Moderator
MOTM September 06 & July 09
VOTM April 06
Neptune Vibe 2003 (7-10-2003 - 9-14-2010 vendu/sold)
Mazda3 GX 2008 (9-14-2010 - 5-09-2014 vendu/sold)
Matrix XR 2010 (5-09-2014)

miked

Re: My try with a solid cargo cover (ArcsVibe)

Post by miked »

It's all home made. no other car as that cargo cover.
Atomb

Post by Atomb »

great job, miked!it's alive! it's ALIVE! ...thanks for making my simple (primative?) drawing come to life!! I have been so busy i haven't come close to building one yet, but now that i've seen it...i'm inspired again!! Why would you need to put legs to support more weight on top? How much weight do you plan on loading on the top surface?I'm VERY impressed. Good job!(the scarey thing is...i also have the same colour vibe and i have the same toolbag in the back of my car, and a jug of windshield fluid!! .....so for a few seconds it REALLY freaked me out!
I have signatures turned off so I'm not even sure what mine says in this space!
miked

Re: (Atomb)

Post by miked »

Persoonaly I don'T want to put anything on it.All I can say is that it would support 6x9 speakers easally to upgrade the sound system.
miked

Re: (miked)

Post by miked »

Here's the picture of how it's set.You'll see that the hooks are still available.

Attached files
ZubenElGenubi

Post by ZubenElGenubi »

Quote, originally posted by miked »Here's the picture of how it's set.You'll see that the hooks are still available.THAT is Ingenious! I never thought of mounting the cover that way because I had always intended mine to be removable. Could you give a little more detail on the materials and construction (ex. wood, covering, hinges, so on)? I might learn something for my next cover...
jimincalif

Post by jimincalif »

Very nice, much better than the stock cover. Well done!
"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill---------------------------------Who is John Galt?2 Vibes, 03GT & 07 base (kids drive)1993 Lexus LS4001980 Fiat Spider
miked

Re: (ZubenElGenubi)

Post by miked »

It's mainly made of fiber glass, but you're making a mistake, the top is removable. There 2 hinge but soon 3 to be more sturdy.
ZubenElGenubi

Post by ZubenElGenubi »

Quote, originally posted by miked »It's mainly made of fiber glass, but you're making a mistake, the top is removable. There 2 hinge but soon 3 to be more sturdy.It's not obvious in the picture you showed, but it sounds like you mounted additional brackets to the ones used for the hooks and then set the cover on those brackets. Is that correct?
POLO

Post by POLO »

Quote, originally posted by miked »We could talk about it at the meet.It will be a very promising meet.Well done,if your project finish,i will be a buyer too.Please don't sell your idea to gm Sorry to be out of topic.Making a little publicityGuy,the project will be live at Montreal meet.
fredfreedom

Post by fredfreedom »

Nice mod and nice color of Vibe!Fred:-)
2007 Moonstone VIBE FWD Special Edition with XM Satellite Radio, Stainless exhaust tip, 7 speakers, power group, 16 inch mags, Monotone, A/T, Slate interior, 50/80% Llumar platinium tinted windows, Sherlock Antitheft Marking, Barry Danne Grease Rust-Proofing, K&N air filter, MiVibe-ToolGuy fog lights protector, DIY 3M Filtrete cabin air filter, Toyota rear bumper protector, more to come...TOTALLED 2007-07-17 R.I.P. 2005 Moonstone VIBE FWD
Jaycie685

Post by Jaycie685 »

Nice work! It definitely gives the Vibe more space in the trunk as you could put stuff on top as well.If you ever decide to make more and sell them, put me on your list!
Jen's Vibe:: 2004 two-tone base in Frosty :: Automatic :: Exhaust Tip :: Rear Bumper Protector :: Cargo Nets :: Rear Cargo Mat :: Rear Cargo Cover :: "You just got passed by a wagon " decal :: Red glowing "No Smoking" plug in cigarette lighter ::
miked

Post by miked »

Here's a picture of the cover removed:

Attached files
miked

Post by miked »

and here's the bracket holding it up:thank you all for the great comments.

Attached files
Jaycie685

Post by Jaycie685 »

Looking at the pics with the cover removed, you can see the red markers on the seat release knobs (not really sure what they're called). Does that indicate that the seats don't go all the way back and lock into place when the cover is installed?
Jen's Vibe:: 2004 two-tone base in Frosty :: Automatic :: Exhaust Tip :: Rear Bumper Protector :: Cargo Nets :: Rear Cargo Mat :: Rear Cargo Cover :: "You just got passed by a wagon " decal :: Red glowing "No Smoking" plug in cigarette lighter ::
zionzr2

Re: (Jaycie685)

Post by zionzr2 »

Quote, originally posted by Jaycie685 »Looking at the pics with the cover removed, you can see the red markers on the seat release knobs (not really sure what they're called). Does that indicate that the seats don't go all the way back and lock into place when the cover is installed?he just may not have them fully locked back into place....sometimes mine are like that after i put the seat back up an it dont fully click into place.
miked

Re: (zionzr2)

Post by miked »

No, don't worry, the seat do clamp propally, it's just that to remove the cargo cover you need to fold down the seats just a little.That's all
Jaycie685

Post by Jaycie685 »

Ah, i see.
ZubenElGenubi

Post by ZubenElGenubi »

I'm sorry; I guess I'm a little thick. Those brackets look like fabric as well (like velcro). Can you show a close up of the ones on the side? I like that you added brackets to the seat back as well; that really offers a nice, extra amount of support that my design didn't have. Yet (!)
miked

Post by miked »

I'll take a close-up pic, but just to let you know they are covered with felt as the complete cover, there is no velcro in the process.
eSSjAy

Post by eSSjAy »

Wow, that looks great! Looks like I have myself a project when the weather gets warmer.Approx how much time did that take you, and what was the cost of your materials?Does anybody have the cover offered by GM? I haven't seen any pictures of it, and I'm curious as to what it looks like.