How-To...Another Groundwire Install

Technical info on the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix including do-it-yourself info
ZubenElGenubi

How-To...Another Groundwire Install

Post by ZubenElGenubi »

I -- with the help of a couple of GenVibe members (NascarXprt & GMJAP) -- did a ground wire install on my 2004 Base Vibe. Total installation time was about three hours. At least half of that time was spent measuring, cutting and prepping each wire before installation (the other half was spent goofing off ). My guess is that this could be done in two hours without interruption.Here are the components:* 12 - 4 AWG connectors* 10 ft. of asbestos sheathing* 12 ft. of 4 AWG ground wire (JSC Wire & Cable POWER FORCE Ground #1666)Total cost was about $33 with tax.This amount was purchased on the assumption that up to six cables might have been used. The price could have been reduced by $5 if supplies for only five cables had been purchased.The groundwires I used are only rated to 60ºC (140ºF), so I decided to insulate them with asbestos sheathing. A total of five segments were utilized in a two runs coming off the battery.Here are the details of each wire component:Run A:A1) Battery to Manifold (12mm bolt); 2.5 feetA2) Manifold (12mm bolt in A1) to Fuel Rail (12mm; left bolt); 1.5 feetA3) Fuel Rail (12mm bolt in A2) to Brake Fluid mount on body (10mm); 2.5 feetRun B:B1) Battery to Transmission plate (12mm; right bolt holding stock groundwire); 2 feet (Here's a wider view)B2) Transmission plate (12mm; left mounting bolt) to front transmission bolt (14mm); 6 inches (Here's a better view of the 14mm bolt).B1 and B2 were mounted on adjacent bolts on the plate because all three connectors (stock groundwire lead, plus the two additional leads) were too thick to allow the stock bolt to thread.Because the 4AWG end connectors were so large in diameter, the ground wire mount on the battery had to be modified to fit them. The brown plastic guide was removed and the two end connectors for each chain were set in place of it so that the bolt would fit through.___________________________________________________________Results:My first impression was that there was no noticeable effect. The two commonly observed results -- stabilized idle speed, and smoother shifting between 2nd and 3rd -- are there, but I didn't perceive any significant change.However, when comparing my gas mileage to and from the event, I noticed a significant improvement. My estimated mileage to the event was about 37 mpg (actual was 34.5 mpg in 223 miles, which included some city driving at the meet).My actual mileage back home was 39.9 mpg (over 200.3 miles). This is an improvement of nearly 8%.(Note: I averaged about 60 miles per hour both ways.)Obviously, I need to record a few more tankfuls of use and compare them to my normal driving.
Mr. Poopypants

Re: How-To...Another Groundwire Install (ZubenElGenubi)

Post by Mr. Poopypants »

Nice job! and one hell of a HOW-TO post!
A bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory.
ZubenElGenubi

Post by ZubenElGenubi »

Mileage Results as of 11/8/05It's been a month since I installed the groundwires and wanted to show some mileage results.I looked at the average MPG before and after the trip to San Antonio (when the groundwires were installed), taking the average of four tankfuls (I disregarded the mileage to/from S.A., as it was not typical of my normal driving).Before: 1215.9 miles, 43.091 gallons = 28.22 mpgAfter: 1288.5 miles, 43.785 gallons = 29.43 mpg(This is a 4.3% increase in gas mileage.)I can't conclusively state that the groundwires contributed to this improved mileage. I installed new springs just after the "Before" group. Also, the air temperature has cooled some, which may have made the CAI more effective.I'll post another update after a few more tanks and see if the improvement continues.
mcgusto82

Post by mcgusto82 »

did you basically replace the stock ground wires or created extra grounding points? asking because i haven't noticed how many ground points there are.
binary

Re: How-To...Another Groundwire Install (mcgusto82)

Post by binary »

Quote, originally posted by mcgusto82 »did you basically replace the stock ground wires or created extra grounding points? asking because i haven't noticed how many ground points there are.From the looks of it he improved the ground points and increased the size of the wires.I took a good look at the OEM wires - it ain't pretty. I used thicker gauge on my sub.
ZubenElGenubi

Re: How-To...Another Groundwire Install (mcgusto82)

Post by ZubenElGenubi »

Quote, originally posted by mcgusto82 »did you basically replace the stock ground wires or created extra grounding points? asking because i haven't noticed how many ground points there are.There is only one ground wire from the negative terminal of the battery and I decided to run additional wire parallel to it rather than replace it (as was suggested by some who've already done the install). Then I added four additional ground points (transmission front, manifold, fuel rail, body).
scherry2

Post by scherry2 »

Quote, originally posted by ZubenElGenubi »However, when comparing my gas mileage to and from the event, I noticed a significant improvement. My estimated mileage to the event was about 37 mpg (actual was 34.5 mpg in 223 miles, which included some city driving at the meet).My actual mileage back home was 39.9 mpg (over 200.3 miles). This is an improvement of nearly 8%.and then you stated:Before: 1215.9 miles, 43.091 gallons = 28.22 mpgAfter: 1288.5 miles, 43.785 gallons = 29.43 mpg(This is a 4.3% increase in gas mileage.)what happened to cause you to drop 10 MPG?
ZubenElGenubi

Re: How-To...Another Groundwire Install (scherry2)

Post by ZubenElGenubi »

Quote, originally posted by scherry2 »what happened to cause you to drop 10 MPG? Changing from constant freeway driving of 200+ miles @ 60 MPH (the trip to/from San Antonio)....to my normal commute mix of city & some highway.
scherry2

Post by scherry2 »

oh. I though it might have been a typo.
ZubenElGenubi

Post by ZubenElGenubi »

Mileage Results as of 12/9/05It's been a two months since I installed the groundwires and wanted to show some mileage results.I looked at the average MPG before and after the trip to San Antonio (when the groundwires were installed), taking the average of seven tankfuls (I disregarded the mileage to/from S.A., as it was not typical of my normal driving).Before: 2160.4 miles, 74.706 gallons = 28.92 mpgAfter: 2443.2 miles, 82.319 gallons = 29.68 mpg(This is a 2.63% increase in gas mileage.)An increase of only .76 mpg seems too small to be a benefit, even if I was sure that it was all due to the new groundwires. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure they don't hurt any.My conclusion: No Effect.
GMJAP

Post by GMJAP »

Thanks for posting the followup. I can't say I'm too surprised at your conclusion, but I was hoping it'd do something.
2005 Platinum Base ManualSide & Curtain AirbagsABSPower PackageTinted Windows"Mods": 'old-style' center armrest, center +12v, wheelskins leather steering wheel, AC/Recirc blue backlight, beeps on keyless entry, dome light switch, AC insulation, PCD10 10-disc CD/MP3 changer, AAI-GM12 AUX audio input, K&N filter, "shark fin" antenna.