Where can I get the monsoon sub enclosure?

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
colterk

Where can I get the monsoon sub enclosure?

Post by colterk »

I'm looking for just the plastic enclosure to house my Kicker sub in an 08 base Vibe. Anyone know where I can get one/order one? Any DIY suggestions?
Link to my 'garage' thread:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=38548
Led Powered Since '87
trb

Re: Where can I get the monsoon sub enclosure? (colterk)

Post by trb »

Probably be expensive new, you would have to look for a used one. If you don't mind driving, there looks to be a few in Seattle. Look on http://www.car-part.com for a 2005-2008 sunroof. 2003-2004 cars did not have the sub enclosure. The cars with the Monsoon system came with the Moon & Tunes or Sun & Sound systems, so if a 05-08 has the sunroof, it should have the quarter panel trim with the speaker. Maybe call a few places and ask them if they have it. These two are listed and reasonably close.Gundies Auto Recycling USA-WA(Seattle-Portland) Request_Quote 1-800-444-4344 - They have like 4 2005-2008 sunroofs listedRandy's Auto Parts and Towing USA-WA(Okanogan) E-mail 1-800-553-4466There are also several yards parting out Vibes on Ebay. Maybe find one with a 05-08 sunroof car - you will have to look at the pictures they post, and email them about it. I did that looking for a few parts for mine.Good luck!
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
colterk

Re: Where can I get the monsoon sub enclosure? (trb)

Post by colterk »

Quote, originally posted by trb » The cars with the Monsoon system came with the Moon & Tunes or Sun & Sound systems, so if a 05-08 has the sunroof, it should have the quarter panel trim with the speaker. Good luck!Weirdly enough, and reasons unknown to me I have an 08 with sunroof but no enclosure. Odd. And thank you for all of that, I will definitely be making some calls and looking around. Cheers.
Led Powered Since '87
trb

Post by trb »

That is strange. I wonder if they changed the packages for 2008 or ran out of the Monsoon parts towards the end of the 1st gen run. Every 05-08 car with a sunroof I've seen had the sub too.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2004 Satellite Vibe &
colterk

Post by colterk »

Quote, originally posted by trb »That is strange. I wonder if they changed the packages for 2008 or ran out of the Monsoon parts towards the end of the 1st gen run. Every 05-08 car with a sunroof I've seen had the sub too. could be because mine was bought as a fleet car perhaps?! i'm not totally sure though altho very bummed
Led Powered Since '87
colterk

Post by colterk »

Finding this piece is proving to be quite a task. maybe i need to search a different word pattern? ive been looking for 'vibe monsoon sub enclosure' and various things close to that. what is the oem part called?
Led Powered Since '87
trb

Post by trb »

It is an interior lower quarter panel trim. I found it on this website when I searched for "subwoofer" under 2008 Vibe:http://www.gm-auto-parts.com/W/subwoofer RightQuantity: 1Rear Body & Floor - Interior trimMake: PontiacModel: VibeModel Year(s): 2008List Price: $463.62Your Price: $370.90Description:PANELAnd that is only the panel, not the access door on it.Most likely you will not find this particular part listed used anywhere. It is not a high demand item like fenders. doors, and major mechanical parts, so it is not worth it to list them. Best bet is to just find someplace parting out a 05-08 and call them to ask.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2004 Satellite Vibe &
colterk

Post by colterk »

Quote, originally posted by trb »It is an interior lower quarter panel trim. I found it on this website when I searched for "subwoofer" under 2008 Vibe:http://www.gm-auto-parts.com/W/subwoofer RightQuantity: 1Rear Body & Floor - Interior trimMake: PontiacModel: VibeModel Year(s): 2008List Price: $463.62Your Price: $370.90Description:PANEL thank you. this at least gives me an idea what to ask for. thanks again!!
Led Powered Since '87
shanghei

Re: Where can I get the monsoon sub enclosure?

Post by shanghei »

Coltrek, did you ever locate that panel?
colterk

Post by colterk »

shanghei wrote:Coltrek, did you ever locate that panel?
To much avail, I did not.
Led Powered Since '87
shanghei

Post by shanghei »

colterk wrote:
shanghei wrote:Coltrek, did you ever locate that panel?
To much avail, I did not.
I just bought a used vibe and have taken out alot of interior to fix a bunch of things and have been searching high and low for that part while everything is apart and also having no luck.
MrHatchWagon

Post by MrHatchWagon »

Have you tried looking for a similarly optioned Matrix? Other than that, I guess you could always make a custom enclosure. I've seen people take out the spare tire and cut a sheet or plywood or MDF to that panel's size, and putting their subwoofer flat down. As for me, I decided to just get a pre-made enclosure for easy installation and removal.

Oh, and Blue Crush had a thread on replacing the factory Monsoon subwoofer with another. I guess there's only a handful of woofers out there that actually fit right in the enclosure that came with the M&T, if that helps.
* Voted May 2012 MOTM! *
How To: Cupholder LED Mod
shanghei

Post by shanghei »

MrHatchWagon wrote:Have you tried looking for a similarly optioned Matrix? Other than that, I guess you could always make a custom enclosure. I've seen people take out the spare tire and cut a sheet or plywood or MDF to that panel's size, and putting their subwoofer flat down. As for me, I decided to just get a pre-made enclosure for easy installation and removal.

Oh, and Blue Crush had a thread on replacing the factory Monsoon subwoofer with another. I guess there's only a handful of woofers out there that actually fit right in the enclosure that came with the M&T, if that helps.
Whered you put your enclosure? I wanted something that was completely out of the way.
MrHatchWagon

Post by MrHatchWagon »

Ohh I see, I'm still waiting for my stuff to arrive, but I'll probably put the amplifier in the spare tire compartment, and run wires through to the sub and leave it in the hatch. I don't use it to haul things very often, and if I ever need it it'll be easy to remove. Something like this: viewtopic.php?t=26364" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
However, you could do like this: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=38311" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; if you had the time. It's a pretty sweet setup.
Or, like this: viewtopic.php?t=34983" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
* Voted May 2012 MOTM! *
How To: Cupholder LED Mod
shanghei

Post by shanghei »

MrHatchWagon wrote:Ohh I see, I'm still waiting for my stuff to arrive, but I'll probably put the amplifier in the spare tire compartment, and run wires through to the sub and leave it in the hatch. I don't use it to haul things very often, and if I ever need it it'll be easy to remove. Something like this: viewtopic.php?t=26364" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
However, you could do like this: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=38311" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; if you had the time. It's a pretty sweet setup.
Or, like this: viewtopic.php?t=34983" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cool links, but I lack the skills to accomplish the last two.
bigdaddyjosh

Post by bigdaddyjosh »

Myself and a few others on this forum have made a custom fiberglass enclosure that fits in the same location as monsoon sub. I have a 10" cerwin vega there now. Here is a link to it. The process is very easy. This was my first fiberglass project and youtube has great tips for beginners. My thread is picture heavy but its basically shows the entire process. I rushed the bondo job at the end but in the end it still works and is air tight.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=36048&p=461610#p461610" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pioneer AVH-P8400BH HU Polk Audio DB-6501 Components Pioneer GM-6400F Amplifier K&N drop-in filter Fiberglass Sub box w/10" Cerwin Vega
shanghei

Post by shanghei »

bigdaddyjosh wrote:Myself and a few others on this forum have made a custom fiberglass enclosure that fits in the same location as monsoon sub. I have a 10" cerwin vega there now. Here is a link to it. The process is very easy. This was my first fiberglass project and youtube has great tips for beginners. My thread is picture heavy but its basically shows the entire process. I rushed the bondo job at the end but in the end it still works and is air tight.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=36048&p=461610#p461610" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I just started a fiberglass project but on the other side, I bought a small 8" sub. I just put tape up today. I really have no idea what I am doing so your thread will really come in handy.
shanghei

Post by shanghei »

Heres what I got so far

bigdaddyjosh

Post by bigdaddyjosh »

very nice....btw it is very easy to remove the plastic back there. i so wish i had done this and did the fiberglass outside of the car. my back hurt so bad constantly from leaning in and out of the car plus u can put whole sheets in and lay it flat

anyway ill be glad to help any way i can i lurk on threse forums most every day
Pioneer AVH-P8400BH HU Polk Audio DB-6501 Components Pioneer GM-6400F Amplifier K&N drop-in filter Fiberglass Sub box w/10" Cerwin Vega
shanghei

Post by shanghei »

Well I laid the first layer today and after it dried I removed it from car, which wasnt easy, I really had to yank on that thing since I put so much tape down but I got it out. Almost all the tape is now attached to the fiberglass. Is that normal and do I just leave it?
colterk

Post by colterk »

shanghei wrote:
bigdaddyjosh wrote:Myself and a few others on this forum have made a custom fiberglass enclosure that fits in the same location as monsoon sub.
I have a kicker comp vr 10 inch that i want to get into my car...how much did the 'build your own' end up costing you?
Led Powered Since '87
bigdaddyjosh

Post by bigdaddyjosh »

shanghei wrote:Well I laid the first layer today and after it dried I removed it from car, which wasnt easy, I really had to yank on that thing since I put so much tape down but I got it out. Almost all the tape is now attached to the fiberglass. Is that normal and do I just leave it?
you didnt look at my pictures did you? Tin foil works great because it doesnt stick to fiberglass. After laying tape down I just used 3m spray glue to lay pieces of tin foil before applying fiberglass.
colterk wrote:
shanghei wrote:
bigdaddyjosh wrote:Myself and a few others on this forum have made a custom fiberglass enclosure that fits in the same location as monsoon sub.
I have a kicker comp vr 10 inch that i want to get into my car...how much did the 'build your own' end up costing you?
about $100 in material maybe a bit more, also bought an orbital sander from harbor freight for like $10 then took about 30 hours of work. It would have have been considerably less time had it not been near 110 degrees for 45 days straight last summer. It was to hot to do much work at a time last summer.
shanghei

Post by shanghei »

I did look at your pics and saw other guides suggest tin foil but gave up because the sun kept reflecting off it and I didnt want to mess up my eyes with that.
bigdaddyjosh

Post by bigdaddyjosh »

lol. nice excuse. How is the project going so far? Got any new pics? Also why did you choose the left side?
shanghei

Post by shanghei »

I chose left side before realizing the right side would alot easier and better. The pocket is turning into pain to layer fiberglass into.

My problems I am having right now is going through brushes like crazy and the resin hardens so fast.

Im hoping it starts looking better once I start putting more layers on.

bigdaddyjosh

Post by bigdaddyjosh »

Yep. Get the cheapest brushes you can find. I found some for less than a dollar that were about 1" wide. Also you need you need a can of Acetone. Trust me, that stuff works. using a small metal can such as a bread pan can put a small amout of acetone in. I put enough to completely cover the brush when it is laying flat.

Do as many layers of fiberglass as you can before the stuff starts to dry. Quickly soak the brush in the acetone and clean it out as best you can before it gets to hard. Then just let the brush sit in the solution. Doing it this way I was able to get atleast 4-5 good uses out of each brush. BTW you are using gloves for this arent you?

Hope this helps.
shanghei

Post by shanghei »

Are you suppose to take out the wooden pieces that hold up the subwoofer ring?
bigdaddyjosh

Post by bigdaddyjosh »

no. you have to mount the ring to those pieces. I hot glue my pieces in and then screwed the ring into the pieces with wood screws. The ring needs to be secure so that when you pull the fleece over the front to complete the enclosure you can pull it as tight as possible to make the surface as wrinke free.

Also, before doing this fill the box with water to check for leaks. The box needs to be airtight.
shanghei

Post by shanghei »

I filled what I had so far with water and didnt see any leak, so far so good.

Now the hard part is having the sub out of the way of the floor that opens up without having the sub touch the enclosure with the back of the sub.
bigdaddyjosh

Post by bigdaddyjosh »

From that picture not sure if you are going to be able to fit a 10" sub there. You should have built your box all the way up to the start of that shelf. If it ended up being to big you could always trim it back. But after looking at your pix it looks like it will be too shallow and your speaker will bottom out. Also if you have a 10" speaker already you might try to find out how much air volume it requires before you put to much more into this project. Mine required a 1 foot of cubic air space and I just barely made that. Your box looks like its going to be smaller than mine. So I was just wondering.
shanghei

Post by shanghei »

I have an 8" sub
shanghei

Post by shanghei »

Ok I almost finally done, I had a question though, I filled it full of water and it leaked around all the edges.

Any tips to make sure its 100% sealed? Thanks

Attachments
CameraZOOM-20120630221557621.jpg
CameraZOOM-20120630221557621.jpg (81.37 KiB) Viewed 10493 times
bigdaddyjosh

Post by bigdaddyjosh »

All I did was after putting the cloth on I painted a few more coats of fiber glass on. Also are you gong to bondo and paint it? The reason I ask is because you can get matching paint for your interior from pontiac dealer. I didnt go this route but wish I had.

As far as the leaks go, the only thing you can do is inspect the leaks and try to make repairs. Then fill it with water again and check once more. How thick is it? Looks great by the way.
shanghei

Post by shanghei »

Thanks for the reply, I ended up putting a bunch of resin along the inside of the enclosure where the back meets the fleece fabric, seems to not leak anymore. I wish I was going to do bondo but I am tired of messing with this junk and just bought felt fabric which is same stuff for carpeting wood box at Joann fabric.
bigdaddyjosh

Post by bigdaddyjosh »

LOL. That sounds so familiar. By the time I got to where you are now I was tired of it as well. Its a long messy process.
shanghei

Post by shanghei »

Well here it is, finally done, just need to slap the subwoofer in and screw it in, and hope it works.

bigdaddyjosh

Post by bigdaddyjosh »

so does it work? how does it sound? bout how much time would you say it took?
shanghei

Post by shanghei »

Here is the final product,

It took me forever and a day to do because I work 7 days a week, I'd say its easily doable over a weekend.

It works to my surprise even though I felt I was doing it wrong the entire time.

Here is a very messy pic of my amps under the seat.