EXHAUST TIP PROBLEM??? help!

Pontiac, GM SPO (Service Parts Organization) & TRD (Toyota Racing Development) discussions
philndz

EXHAUST TIP PROBLEM??? help!

Post by philndz »

I have tried everything!!!!! I bought the tailpipe tip for the vibe (the factory GM one) and i cant get it to fit...i have tried lubes and soap to slide it on. it has a weld that creates an almost microscopic lip on the inside and i cant get it slide over that so the tip hangs off the back protruding about 2+ inches!!! i even tried taking my dremel to the lip on the inside but still didnt work!????????????????????
2003 Shadow Vibe Base 5spd - 53,000 MilesFlowmaster 60 series exhaust - Short Ram Intake SystemKonig Kaliber 17x7 Rims w/ 225-45-17 Kumho Ecsta 711's - Hotchkis Springs - Progress Rear anti-sway Bar My Vibe is FOR SALE: $8900
philndz

Re: EXHAUST TIP PROBLEM??? help! (silverawd26)

Post by philndz »

trust me silver, this aint that easy....it has already graunched up my factory tip from trying to get it on....its just 1mm too small!!and i even tried cooling the factory tip w/ ice and heating the exhaust tip up and then going at it....(figuring that the factory tip would get smaller and the new tip would get bigger...well that didnt work!
2003 Shadow Vibe Base 5spd - 53,000 MilesFlowmaster 60 series exhaust - Short Ram Intake SystemKonig Kaliber 17x7 Rims w/ 225-45-17 Kumho Ecsta 711's - Hotchkis Springs - Progress Rear anti-sway Bar My Vibe is FOR SALE: $8900
philndz

Post by philndz »

bought it online
philndz

Post by philndz »

will they accept it if i say i got it at another dealership (i did).........ya know like regardless of the purchase location....like returns at a walmart. just b/c they kinda know me at my dealership so they know i didnt get it from them.
philndz

Post by philndz »

ah...ok....makes sense...we'll see...fingers crossed
Shadow Realm

Post by Shadow Realm »

If you take the clamp off entirely, will the exhaust tip slide on then? It should slide on easily. It did when I put mine on. I just had to unscrew the clamp almost all the way and then slide it on and then retighten the clamp with it in place.if that doesn't the nthe one you recieved is factory defective.Shadow Realm
Abyss Monotone GT, 6 speed, Moon & Tunes, Power Group,and 16" Alloys. Soon you can see my Vibe GT at Shadowrealm's car pics but for now it is under construction!
philndz

Re: EXHAUST TIP PROBLEM??? help! (Shadow Realm)

Post by philndz »

nope...this thing wont go on even without using the clamp at all....i didnt even take the clamp out of the box!
tau166

Re: EXHAUST TIP PROBLEM??? help! (philndz)

Post by tau166 »

how long have you had your car? I'm just wondering if you've got rust buildup on your original tip or something like that making the diameter bigger. I guess I should assume you cleaned the factoryt tailpipe first right? I just adjusted my GM accessory tip the other week and it was really tight probably due to rust and road grime and whatnot.
2003 Base Vibe: 5spd, Neptune (monotone), everything but Nav system
dmitri

Re: EXHAUST TIP PROBLEM??? help! (tau166)

Post by dmitri »

why dont u cut the stock one down a little?Unbolt it from the flange behind the axle and take it off, itll make it sooo much easier to cut, when i was doing my straight pipes i tried cutting etc while it was still in the car. Take it off and cut the stock pipe down a little.
philndz

Re: EXHAUST TIP PROBLEM??? help! (dmitri)

Post by philndz »

the idea of getting the tip is that i can return the car to stock if i need to.....just dont like the idea of cutting down the pipe....james...a guy on genvibe emailed me and told me his did the same and he had to take it to have the lip machined out......guess i'll try that....dont know where to have it done though?
Shadow Realm

Post by Shadow Realm »

The tip is supposed to fit!!!!!!! I would go the local dealership and complain that your GM certified accessory doesn't work andthey need to rectify the problem! Either the factory exhaust is faulty or the tip is faulty. Either way it shouldn't be something that you should have to shave or rig onto your car.Talk to the dealer that sold you your Vibe and see what they can do!Shadow Realm
Abyss Monotone GT, 6 speed, Moon & Tunes, Power Group,and 16" Alloys. Soon you can see my Vibe GT at Shadowrealm's car pics but for now it is under construction!
philndz

Re: EXHAUST TIP PROBLEM??? help! (Shadow Realm)

Post by philndz »

thats my plan...im going in with the attitude that i bought a GM product and it aint right so they need to fix it for me regardless of which dealership i bought if from.
savedbyzero

Post by savedbyzero »

Try Astroglide or KY. I've got a similiar problem, and this is my solution!
THIS IS WHAT I DO...http://www.studiothisis.com
philndz

Re: EXHAUST TIP PROBLEM??? help! (savedbyzero)

Post by philndz »

it just doesnt fit....i have the vibe booked in for service on the 21st...im taking the tip w/ me!
Shadow Realm

Post by Shadow Realm »

Hopefully they won't give you any grief! Good luck and hopefully you'll be coming back with a bright new shiny exhaust tip.Shadow Realm
MrMke

Post by MrMke »

The same thing happened to me. The tip was hanging out too far and looked rediculous.So I took it off and used a round file to the weld on the inside of the tip. It took alot of filing but afterwards it slid right on with no problem.It would seem that GM needs to be more pro-active with the quality control on their accessories.
2005 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE V6250hp, Tinted Windows, Factory HID's, Bose System
philndz

Re: EXHAUST TIP PROBLEM??? help! (MrMke)

Post by philndz »

UPDATE!! Ok, so i took it in and the service tech put it on as far as i had gotten it...totally ridiculous looking! He calls me out there and says i got it on for ya hows it look. uh...terrible! he insists that they dont go on any further than that and walks me all the way to the end of the sales lot to show me one on a vibe....when we get there the vibe doesnt have one on so we walk back....he says he could try his mallet....after a gruesome 15 minutes w/ a very nice rubber mallet it is on where it should be and looks great. "oh...well i guess it DOES go on further" says the mechanic. oh well....its on...looks good...and is on for good b/c there is no way you could ever get it off now (as good as welded on) <<which is actually kind of a bummer but i should be thankful that i didnt have to try to return it etc...(bought online)
VibeGT_2003

Post by VibeGT_2003 »

Take a 2x4 and hammer,trust me it doesn't hurt anything,1 tap and it is on!
Mavrik

Re: EXHAUST TIP PROBLEM??? help! (VibeGT_2003)

Post by Mavrik »

I ordered my Vibe from the factory to have the tip as part of the package. I watched the tech at the dealership (cause I work there to heh) install it with no probs at all. It slid on very nice and loose actually and he asked me how far I wanted it sticking out and such and then clamped it down. With all the grief you got... you sure you got the right one?
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
OutLaW

Re: EXHAUST TIP PROBLEM??? help! (Mavrik)

Post by OutLaW »

You guys need a BFH..BIG F***** HAMMER!!!