Northeast Ice Storm-Tree fell on my house

General discussions not related to the Vibe, Matrix, or any other vehicle. (follow posting rules)
nygiantzz1

Northeast Ice Storm-Tree fell on my house

Post by nygiantzz1 »

Friday was not a good day. We were woken up at 3:00am when the tree in our front yard was brought down by ice. It landed against the front of the house. I spent all day cutting it up and piling it up on the curb. Today I have to drop what is left standing and cut that up too. I am happy to report that there is no damage at all to the house. We did lose a wreath and lawn ornament (snowman). I don't know how the windows on the right side of the house didn't break. There were several large branches pressed right against them. I have to give 2 thumbs up to Simonton for making a great window. They ended up being well worth the money I spent on them 4 years ago. Anyway, here's some pics:
bodhi_tree777

Re: Northeast Ice Storm-Tree fell on my house (nygiantzz1)

Post by bodhi_tree777 »

phew..luckily the tree wasn't so big. I used to work landscaping and saw the aftermath of a few PA storm cleanups with crushed roof corners and flattened cars. Glad to hear all is well!Simonton Windows, good company. Made right down the way from where I live
james / bodhi tree studio / tattoos & illustration / http://www.bodhitreestudio.comebay store : vintage clothing & toys---03 Satellite Vibe GT // 04 Neptune base // 1986 VW Golf // 1990 VW Golf GL---
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

OUCH
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
zionzr2

Post by zionzr2 »

A little too close for my comfort.
lovemyraffe

Post by lovemyraffe »

Wow, glad there wasn't too much damage.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
scherry2

Post by scherry2 »

bet that made some noise.
Herb

Post by Herb »

Wow, you're really lucky that you didn't sustain more damage. You going to take down the rest of the tree as well? Sorta looks odd now.Glad no one got hurt
Would you agree to debris acceptance? 2003 Vibe GTMods installed GM Top and Mid-Gate Spoilers, Cosmo CAI, TWM Short Shifter with Desert Eagle weighted shift knob, TWM Bronzoil Shifter Cable Bushings, Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust, Unichip, Injen Billet Aluminum Engine/Sparkplug covers and oil cap, Optima RedTop Battery, Lineage Ground Wire KitAwaiting install: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts, DC Sports Header
808 Vibes

Re: Northeast Ice Storm-Tree fell on my house (Herb)

Post by 808 Vibes »

I'm so glad nobody (including the Vibe!) got hurt!
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
GoodVibErations2004

Post by GoodVibErations2004 »

that looks uncomfortably close to the vibe as well....... or maybe its just the perspective. glad to hear theres no damage.
GoodVibErations2004 2004 Neptune AWD ^^^^^^^^^^^My Genvibe Garage^^^^^^^^^^^
hskater26

Re: (GoodVibErations2004)

Post by hskater26 »

good thing it just missed the vibe
-2003 Base Vibe-2002 Ducati ST2
nygiantzz1

Re: Northeast Ice Storm-Tree fell on my house (Herb)

Post by nygiantzz1 »

Quote, originally posted by Herb »Wow, you're really lucky that you didn't sustain more damage. You going to take down the rest of the tree as well? Sorta looks odd now.Glad no one got hurtYes, the rest of the tree is coming down. I wanted to get it down today but I couldn't. I have a friend who is going to help drop it, but he is tied up helping those in worse shape than me. We are going to tie it off to his truck so we can drop it straight across the driveway and avoid hitting the neighbors retaining wall.
nygiantzz1

Post by nygiantzz1 »

Quote, originally posted by GoodVibErations2004 »that looks uncomfortably close to the vibe as well....... or maybe its just the perspective. glad to hear theres no damage.It was very close to hitting the Vibe. Branches were extended about 6 feet across the driveway. If the Vibe wasn't under the carport, it would have been scratched up pretty good. We're lucky, it could have been much worse. You guys out in Rochester caught a break on this one. I'll take lake effect snow over this mess any day.
KNINE

Re: (nygiantzz1)

Post by KNINE »

Did you guts have any downed power lines? Glad there was no damage.
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.
nygiantzz1

Re: (K-NINE)

Post by nygiantzz1 »

There are downed power lines everywhere around here. We have power, but people 3 blocks away do not. There are still 120,000 homes without power in the Albany area. It's a real mess around here. My daughter has 2 friends staying with us because they have no power at their homes. All the fire departments in the area are set up as warming shelters. It's going to be a few more days before everyone gets power back.
KNINE

Re: (nygiantzz1)

Post by KNINE »

We had one of thosw of those a few years back, and sme people went a week before they got power back. Looks you got lucky all the way around.
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.
nygiantzz1

Re: (K-NINE)

Post by nygiantzz1 »

Are you talking about Hurricane Isabel? I was in VA Beach for that mess. We went 4 days with no power at Sandbridge. There were sand dunes over 6' high blown onto the roads, trees down everywhere you looked and the fences to the Back Bay refuge were washed away. The Corona stallions were wandering up and down Sandfiddler Rd. It was an interesting vacation that year. We have a lot of trees down here but nothing by comparison to Isabel in 03.
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

Wow, I need cable, I didn't even know this was happening... I and my grandmother lived in Buffalo, and I remember the one that hit a few years ago... bad mojo... You definitely got lucky..
jake75

Re: (Sublimewind)

Post by jake75 »

We went through an ice storm a few years ago in Ohio - widespread power outages - and it was cold. In our neighborhood we were among the 5% or so that had power - others were out over a week. Then a few months ago we got the tailwinds from that Hurricaine that hit Texas. Again - we got lucky. Our power was only out a few hours. At least it wasn't cold.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
GoodVibErations2004

Post by GoodVibErations2004 »

i only remember 2 bad ice storms. 92 or 93 and 98. i dont remember any one more recent than that.
GoodVibErations2004 2004 Neptune AWD ^^^^^^^^^^^My Genvibe Garage^^^^^^^^^^^
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

Sorry to hear about your tree. Glad to know nothing was really damaged. You were lucky. Sounds like it ended up being more of an inconvenience than anything else. Which is a good thing, considering how much worse it could have been.
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

Quote, originally posted by GoodVibErations2004 »i only remember 2 bad ice storms. 92 or 93 and 98. i dont remember any one more recent than that.Wasn't there one in 02' or 04' that took out most of the eastern seaboard? I know my grandma was out of power for 3 days or so.. if not more.. Buffalo was a disaster area, and had to call in the national guard because of all the trees down.. ?
ramenboy...

Post by ramenboy... »

glad everyone (and the vibe) is ok!got a call from my brother out in acton (MA) he and the family were spent 3 hours idling in their driveway and keeping in the highlander until the utility company was able to get everything working again
de-badged o4 vibe
tein s-techs | 17" msr 105 wheels | 235 45 17 nexen n7000
weapon-r short ram (thanx BC!) | typeR sport pedals | LED 3rd brake
o2 triumph speed four
Mrizzle05

Re: (ramenboy...)

Post by Mrizzle05 »

glad it was just more so the smaller branches and you didnt have anything major happen.i spy a vibe... and.... is that an ICE-DOO? haha.... get it? seadoo on ice?
Must resist.... V... Tec.... Temptation... to strong... "WARNING: Genvibe is a very addictive website... constant use can result in car modification and a lowering of your bank account. use with extreme caution!http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2298639