antenna power lead?

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
dave9382

antenna power lead?

Post by dave9382 »

After installing my new aftermarket head unit in the vibe I dont get any radio reception. Before with the factory head unit in there it was fine reception.I am trying to figure out why. I noticed that there was no lead for power antenna turn on in the factory harness. I thought maybe I missed it or its in a different space.Did I just miss it or does the vibes antenna not have a power turn on lead? (it looks to me like it just sticks up so it wouldnt have a little power lead but I could be wrong)Other than that the only thing I can try is replacing the little adapter that adapts my panasonic head units radio input to be received by the fat gm antenna cord.Its either one of those or the panasonic head units itself is bad..
joatmon

Re: antenna power lead? (dave9382)

Post by joatmon »

These cars have an antenna amplifier, it gets power from the head unit.Looking at thread http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=5396 and schematic (for moon&tunes setup) http://forums.genvibe.com/zero...o.gif there should be +12V on pin B3 coming out of the headunit to power the antenna amplifier. This would also be the same pin for non Moon&tunes setups.
dave9382

Post by dave9382 »

ya there is a power +12V coming out of my aftermarket head unit for powering the antenna but I didnt see where to plug it into the car I guess Ill have to relook
dave9382

Post by dave9382 »

do you know what color the wire going into the car is for the antenna lead?
dave9382

Post by dave9382 »

nm i think i figured it out
joatmon

Re: (dave9382)

Post by joatmon »

It looks like it should be a black wire. How did you install the new headunit, did you buy an adapter to interface to the car's wiring harness, or did you cut off the existing car wiring connector?
dave9382

Post by dave9382 »

i got an adapter, unfortunately the adapter doesnt seem to have a remote antenna lead wire on it... The guys at the shop also didnt have one when i asked him about it and he had no idea.The wire coming out of the rear of the head unit is solid blue so the adapter should have a solid blue wire but it doesnt it does has a teal/white one... it is labled amp lead... it seems like it would line up with where the black wire in the car runs into the harness but i tried hooking up to that wire and my radio reception didnt get any better.. I guess the next step is for me to wire the blue wire coming out of my head unit directly to the cars black wire and see if that does it, though that is kind of a pain
SilverExpress

Re: (dave9382)

Post by SilverExpress »

Dave, Just curious to know if it your idea worked. I'm in the midst of installing a new HU, and I just discovered this thread.
mcgusto82

Re: (SilverExpress)

Post by mcgusto82 »

hmm.. interesting. on my vibe. the antenna amplifier is hard wired behind the radio. there shouldn't be a plug or pin for the aftermarket radio. you COULD splice into it. but yeah, there should be a black wire runing along the antenna wire. it should go right back further into the dashboard. the plug looks like the GPS antenna plug.
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

I hooked mine up using Metra 80-2003 for the harness, from Circuit City. I really have no answer why, but the reception was just as good for AM and FM with the aftermarket radio as it was with the factory without having to do anything to the antenna amp. I live in a big hole with huge hills that have many transmitters directly behind me, so you really don't even have to have an antenna to pick up those guys. But there's a station I like listening to whose transmitter is some 50-60 miles to my north that I'm picking up just as often as I was with the factory radio so if the amp wasn't working I highly doubt that station would come in. AM *was* very good as well, picking up the usual stuff from Chicago, Cleveland, Atlanta, etc. at night. But after I installed my speaker level converter, now I can't pick up squat on AM except local stations, everything else has nothing but electrical noise all over the place.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
SilverExpress

Re: (ColonelPanic)

Post by SilverExpress »

I went to metraonline.com and I could not find an 80-2003 Turbo wire harness.
SilverExpress

Yahoo!

Post by SilverExpress »

So I woke up super early this morning to finish soldering up the wire connectors (Metra wire harness 70-2003 to Alpine CD-9856 wire harness). Before the finishing touches, I went outside with a meter and verified that the red wire (+12v power supply from the cars wiring harness) was actually switched. IT WAS. This means that when I turn the ignition key to off, the power goes away.So what it states in the Metra instructions to "Do NOT use the 2003's 12-volt accessory wire for these vehicles" does not apply to the 2005 Vibe. Metra states this because for the 2003 it is not a switched supply.Now back to the antenna wire. Late last night, I came upon the wiring diagram for the base radio. The poster wrote that the antenna power went through pin B3. On the Metra wiring harness this wire is light blue with white. According to Metra's chart it is suppose to be for a radio amplifier. Anyhow to make a long story short, I spliced and soldered this light blue/white wire to the red supply wire right next to it on the Metra wiring harness. IT WORKS!If you do a search for "antenna power" or "wiring harness" here at Genvibe.com and Matrixowners.com, you will find that a lot of people actually cut the "black" wire for the antenna amplifier before it goes to the car's connector. And then they splice this wire to a switched +12v power supply from somewhere behind the dash. Why?????

Attached files
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

That 80-2003 is a Circuit City only sort of thing... A universal harness that you can buy a harness to plug into it which is matched for your radio... Of course I just snipped the universal plug off there and soldered to the radio's harness. SOOO... I take it BOTH the audio and antenna amps are getting their signal to turn on via the blue/white lead on the harness? That's kinda what I was thinking when I still had a functional antenna but never had to do anything with that wire that runs along with the antenna lead. Could it be that the only people who really needed to splice into the antenna amp wire and get it power were those who also were lacking this amplifier remote turnon pin in their harness? hmm..Good to hear you got it working.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
Baltovibe

Re: antenna power lead? (dave9382)

Post by Baltovibe »

joatmon wrote:These cars have an antenna amplifier, it gets power from the head unit.Looking at thread http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=5396 and schematic (for moon&tunes setup) http://forums.genvibe.com/zero...o.gif there should be +12V on pin B3 coming out of the headunit to power the antenna amplifier. This would also be the same pin for non Moon&tunes setups.
Seems the links don't work with the new forum upgrade, so:
joatmon wrote:These cars have an antenna amplifier, it gets power from the head unit.Looking at thread viewtopic.php?t=4248 and schematic (for moon&tunes setup) http://web.archive.org/web/200603221942 ... eradio.gif there should be +12V on pin B3 coming out of the headunit to power the antenna amplifier. This would also be the same pin for non Moon&tunes setups.
That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse.(Romans 1:19-20)&nbspWhat do you want most in life?