Supercharger and Automatic Transmission - will they work together?

Supercharger, turbo, nitrous, and anything that has to do with forced induction
fuente2000

Supercharger and Automatic Transmission - will they work together?

Post by fuente2000 »

The suoercharger comes on the Vibe GT with a six speed manual transmission. Has there been a determination or experience that the automatic tranny cannot properly support the power of the S/C?I'm just wondering why they would not offer the S/C with the auto tranny and only with the 6 speed. I'd like to know if any GM techs or S/C owners with auto tranny's have any feedback on this question.Also on the installation of the S/C - why do you have to replace the bolt to the crankshaft?Thanks,Alex
2004 Vibe Base (Shadow), 18" HP Racing Wheels with 235/40x18 Michelin, Progress Sway Ant-Sway Bar, Magnaflow Catback Exhaust, Sylvania Silverstars, Megan Racing Upper Strut Bar, Eibach Proline Springs, and more to come!! http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/605576
ragingfish

Re: Supercharger and Automatic Transmission - will they work together? (fuente2000)

Post by ragingfish »

There is NO supercharger on the GT. The GT has a higher compression ratio, making it a high output, more powerful, engine by design.The supercharger is available for the 1ZZ engine on the Base Vibe with either transmission. It is not certified by GM for install on an AWD model, though some matrix owners have sucessfully done so.As to why the crankshaft bolt gets replaced, I haven't a clue. Too technical for me!
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
3.6L V6 (256 HP @ 6300 rpm, 248 ft-lbs. @ 2100 rpm)
vibepa

Re: Supercharger and Automatic Transmission - will they work together? (fuente2000)

Post by vibepa »

Quote, originally posted by fuente2000 »The suoercharger comes on the Vibe GT with a six speed manual transmission. Has there been a determination or experience that the automatic tranny cannot properly support the power of the S/C?I'm just wondering why they would not offer the S/C with the auto tranny and only with the 6 speed. I'd like to know if any GM techs or S/C owners with auto tranny's have any feedback on this question.Also on the installation of the S/C - why do you have to replace the bolt to the crankshaft?Thanks,AlexQuote »Supercharger KitThe Vibe supercharger kit includes an Eaton Roots-type blower that feeds the 1.8L engine with 7.5 lbs. of boost, increasing horsepower up to 30%, pushing the power numbers as high as 170hp at 6,800 rpm. Torque is boosted up to 18% v. stock trim and propels the Vibe to 150lb.ft. at 4,600 rpm. The GM Performance Parts supercharger kit is factory engineered and extensively tested to rigorous GM standards on performance and durability. Not applicable for base Vibe with manual transmission, Vibe GT, and Vibe AWD models. Additional Information at GM Performance Parts Installation Instructions(PDF)That is from the gm buy power acessory page for the pontiac vibe.
wicked1981

Re: Supercharger and Automatic Transmission - will they work together? (vibepa)

Post by wicked1981 »

Quote, originally posted by vibepa »That is from the gm buy power acessory page for the pontiac vibe. also see this*Application for the base Vibe with automatic transmission (MU4) only. Not applicable for base Vibe with manual transmission, Vibe GT, and Vibe AWD models.http://www.gmgoodwrench.com/gm...on=pp
2006 Pontiac G6 GTP3.9L V-6 240hp and 241 lb-ft or torque18" Aluminum, five-spoke, flangeless200 Watt, 8 speaker Monsoon sysChrome dual exhaust tipsLiquid Silver MetallicBorla Custom ExhaustDr. Speed Cold Air Intake
NSimkins
Global Moderator

Re: Supercharger and Automatic Transmission - will they work together? (wicked1981)

Post by NSimkins »

Quote, originally posted by wicked1981 »Not applicable for base Vibe with manual transmissionThe Supercharger is now available for the Base Vibe w/ 5-speed manual transmission.Manual Supercharger Part Number: 12499105http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=9923
satur9

Re: Supercharger and Automatic Transmission - will they work together? (NSimkins)

Post by satur9 »

supposedly your adding a extra load on the belt system and it revs a little higher than stock. a little added protection
look my sniggies, i had a strizz-oke in my brizz-ain okay,you know what im saying. so i cant move all good. but thanks for mentioning that .thank you very much.athf4evr. click here! you know you want to!!!
NY Pete

Re: Supercharger and Automatic Transmission - will they work together? (NSimkins)

Post by NY Pete »

Quote, originally posted by NSimkins »The Supercharger is now available for the Base Vibe w/ 5-speed manual transmission.Manual Supercharger Part Number: 12499105http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=9923GM must have been waiting to call my bluff... HAHA too late for them I finally have a real F/I car and am loving every minute of it... Installed a Omori boost gauge in my 20th this weekend, and I grin everytime I watch it go up over 10psi... Pete
'02 Jetta 1.8T Silver Arrow/Black Leathuh - Neuspeed turbo inlet pipe, 17" VW Exor wheels, euro Bora tails, Neuspeed Sofsport Springs, Bilstein HD's, Da'lan hitch'03 20thAE GTI #3494 Imola Yellow/Black Recaros - Omori/AWE boost gauge, HPA Motorsports Short shifter, Neuspeed 28mm rear sway, REVO programming, Neuspeed turbo inlet pipe, FK Badgeless grille, Kamei eyelids and one big fat grin
Fialchar

Re: Supercharger and Automatic Transmission - will they work together? (NY Pete)

Post by Fialchar »

I hear ya Pete. I love watching my boost gauge fill up then going into warp speed when that turbo kicks in
MorbidFerret

Re: Supercharger and Automatic Transmission - will they work

Post by MorbidFerret »

I have a 2003 Pontiac Vibe w/ a new engine and a automatic transmission w/ 93000 miles on it. would it be ok to use the supercharger AFTER the engine is broken in?
morbidferret.
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

MorbidFerret wrote:I have a 2003 Pontiac Vibe w/ a new engine and a automatic transmission w/ 93000 miles on it. would it be ok to use the supercharger AFTER the engine is broken in?
morbidferret.
Please make a note of the original post dates of this thread.
The GM/TRD supercharger has been discontinued for quite some time. Used ones are available, but they are becoming more and more rare.

To answer your question: Yes, it is okay to put a supercharger on your car. The transmission will handle the power, as long as it's been maintained properly (normal fluid changes) and the clutches are in good shape.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
MorbidFerret

Post by MorbidFerret »

Thanx SeattleJeremy, now i can start my search for one.
ken99287

Post by ken99287 »

Did you ever find one? How'd it go?
Tight is tight, too tight is broke.