Idle Hunting Between 1000 & 2000 RPM 2007 Vibe

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
Crackpot

Idle Hunting Between 1000 & 2000 RPM 2007 Vibe

Post by Crackpot »

Hi,

I am new here and hoping someone can help me figure out the problem with my 2007 Vibe with drive by wire. There is a lot to be said but I am going to try to break it into manageable chunks so that I don't muddy the waters too much. The issue is the idle is constantly bouncing between 1000 & 2000 RPM.

Question 1:
Any idea what would stop the fuel injection system from going into Closed Loop mode?

I made a little spreadsheet to compare what the 2007 is doing with my drive by cable car and my a drive by wire car owned by a guy at work.

Things that have already been tired to get some traction on this issue:

1. Spray everything with carb cleaner to look for vacuum leaks => no increase in idle.

2. Clean MAF with CRC MAF cleaner => no difference in hunting idle.

3. Swap out MAF with known good MAF from another cart => no difference in hunting idle.
SSizler

Re: Idle Hunting Between 1000 & 2000 RPM 2007 Vibe

Post by SSizler »

Welcome to the site Crackpot!
I had a similar problem in the past on a 2003 1zz Vibe that was solved by replacing a completely plugged PCV valve.
2003 Vibe Base/ Frosty White Mono/ Total Loss 1-23
2006 Vibe AWD/ Lava Red Mono/ Loaded w/Leather and Sport Pkg/ 150k mi
2006 Vibe Base/ Stealth Gray Mono/ Loaded w/Leather/ 180k mi
40 years with a wonderful woman / 2 adult kids
Crackpot

Re: Idle Hunting Between 1000 & 2000 RPM 2007 Vibe

Post by Crackpot »

I pulled the Positive Crankcase Ventilation check valve today. It was nice and nasty and had a small amount of corrosion on the threads from the electrons flowing between the dissimilar metals. I cleaned the valve up with brake cleaner until all the deposits were gone and it operated smoothly. Cleaned the corrosion off the threads on the valve and worked it back and forth to with some spray oil to clean up the threads in the valve cover then gave it a light coat of anti-seize.

I reinstalled it and started up the car. Same hunting idle issue. The only difference is that it seems to top out a a slightly higher RPM during its hunting swings.

I did some addition testing with the co-workers car and will post about that in a bit.