'05 Vibe Rear Hatch Lock Replacement

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
Vipervibe25

'05 Vibe Rear Hatch Lock Replacement

Post by Vipervibe25 »

My first car, my neighbor's immaculate '05 Pontiac Vibe in silver. First day driving, backed out and right into an extended cab truck denting the rear hatch. That was about two weeks ago. Took a hatch off from another vibe from the junk yard and installed it on today. It closes and everything, like it were the original. Do I keep stickers? Latch works, just doesn't lock and rear glass panel doesn't latch shut, lifts open easily. I have my old door still. Are there instructions, a manual, another's experience or encouragement on how to remove the locking mechanism? Would seem pretty simply, but that could be my ignorance speaking, I am so new to this. Thank you, this place is amazing.
Attachments
IMG_5472.jpeg
IMG_5472.jpeg (357.17 KiB) Viewed 52 times
IMG_5460.jpeg
IMG_5460.jpeg (82.29 KiB) Viewed 52 times
joatmon

Re: '05 Vibe Rear Hatch Lock Replacement

Post by joatmon »

I did this on an 03 Matrix. It was easy enough to swap the lock cylinder from the damaged hatch into the replacement. The interior plastic trim just pulls off, can't remember if you have to pop off the little piece by the glass latch first. To just swap the lock, you probably only need to pry off the rectangular bit below the the glass latch, but since you got other things going on, you probably will want to pull off all the plastic.

When I did it, I left the original hatch glass on the car, only swapped the metal. I knew the original rear window defogger and wiper motor were good. Did you do that or did you swap the glass also?

When you say the hatch doesn't lock, do you mean electrically or with a key?

Since the glass doesn't latch, do you get a door ajar light in the dash?

Stickers are a personal thing. Keep them if they convey sentiments you want to advocate. I'm in Maryland, people here are fans of the state flag. The most common sticker I see is the state flag cut into shapes of horses, dogs, religious symbols, chickens, and by far the most common, crabs. I have no stickers on my cars, but that's me