2004 AWD sunroof stuck open

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
bassbone81

2004 AWD sunroof stuck open

Post by bassbone81 »

I rarely use my sunroof, but a few days I decided to open my sunroof and now won’t close. I’m pretty sure it’s not the fuse, as the power windows still work. I can hear the slide button click, but no response from the motor. Hold it down for 30-40 seconds and it clicks again. Maybe the tilt button is sticking, as I do not hear it clicking.

Anyone have a similar experience or fix? Is there something I should be looking for as I peer back between the glass and the roof, with what little I can see? I need to get this closed without paying hundreds of dollars to a dealership.
joatmon

Re: 2004 AWD sunroof stuck open

Post by joatmon »

You're right that since the power windows still work, the fuse and relay are not the cause

Could be the controls are bad, the motor is bad, some foreign object jamming the works, something amiss with the rails and cables.

You could try to check if its the controls. There's a wiring diagram for the moonroof at download/file.php?id=5819
- remove the one screw visible on the control cover
- pry off the cover
- remove the screw holding the controls to the roof and fish the controls out of the headliner
- disconnect the electrical connector from the controls and set the controls aside
- if you have a meter, verify that the wire connector still in the headliner gives you +12V between the solid black wire and the white wire with a black stripe (assuming key in run position. If you don't, then the controls aren't getting power, so maybe a wiring issue.
- using short wires, or (carefully to avoid shorting them out and popping the fuse) paperclips, temporarily jumper the black wire to the red wire and the white w/ black stripe to the solid green. This should put 12 directly across the motor.
- if nothing happens, swap the wires, go black to green, and white w/black to red. This will try to get the motor to move the other way.

If one way lets you close the glass, then you need a new control/light module. If not, (and you verified +12V) then the control module is very likely not the problem

If you aren't getting 12V between the black wire and the white w/black stripe, you could still try to use a different 12V source, such as wires to the car battery to jumper into the red and green wires to try to close the glass

If you can get the glass to move by putting power directly to the motor, you'd have to be ready to stop it when the glass is in the right position. There are to switches in the moonroof assembly that tell the control unit when the glass is closed, when it is slid open, when it is tilted up, and when it is closed half way (the soft stop). Directly putting power to eh motor bypasses the function of the witches, so if you get it closed but don't stop at the right spot, the glass will close and then proceed to tilt without stopping

If you need to replace the motor or the whole moonroof assembly, then you have to pop a bunch of trim and drop the headliner. Let us know if you get to that point and need directions

If you do need parts, might be quickest to hit up car-part.com and look for something close to you in their database of junkyard inventory. SOme yards let you pull your own parts, some don't. If you go to one that doesn't, ask to watch them pull the part so you can see how its done (they will be less careful that you would want to be on your own car). Some yards might even install the part for you
bassbone81 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:16 pm I can hear the slide button click, but no response from the motor. Hold it down for 30-40 seconds and it clicks again.
sounds as if maybe the glass is disconnected from the drive mechanism. Can you grab the glass and (gently) pull it closed?
bassbone81

Post by bassbone81 »

joatmon wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:12 pm
bassbone81 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:16 pm I can hear the slide button click, but no response from the motor. Hold it down for 30-40 seconds and it clicks again.
sounds as if maybe the glass is disconnected from the drive mechanism. Can you grab the glass and (gently) pull it closed?
It will not move at all manually. I have none of the tools to test the 12v so I will have to acquire those and report back. Thank you for such detailed assistance!
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

bassbone81 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:09 pmI have none of the tools to test the 12v
if you don't have random extra bits of wire around you can use paper clips, but might be good to wrap some tape around them except maybe 1/4" at the ends, to help prevent accidentally shorting them out together. Or you could use some twist ties, just scrape some of the paper off the ends to expose the inner wire
If the light in the sunroof control works, you can use that. Take the bulb out, and use the "wires" to connect to the two contacts on the bulb to what you want to test, if it lights up, then you've got power
bassbone81

Post by bassbone81 »

So, magically, the sunroof starts working again today. No idea why or how. I am never touching it again, lol.
Roselan1

Post by Roselan1 »

I’m sorry to hear about your sunroof issue. You might try resetting the sunroof by disconnecting the car's battery for about 15-30 minutes, then reconnecting it and trying again. If the problem persists, check for any visible debris or obstructions in the track or around the sunroof's edges. Sometimes lubrication in the track can help. If you're not comfortable attempting a fix, consider consulting a local mechanic rather than a dealership to save on costs. Good luck!
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

bassbone81 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:43 pm So, magically, the sunroof starts working again today. No idea why or how. I am never touching it again, lol.
I'm all for magic.

I find almost never to want to open my sunroof. Only exception is on one of my vehicles its easier to wax the roof by opening the sunroof to stand up in it, but the Vibe's roof is small enough to not need to do that

Glad you got it closed