About to buy a 2009 vibe, but a bit suspicious of the mileage

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
lewisleman

About to buy a 2009 vibe, but a bit suspicious of the mileage

Post by lewisleman »

They guy selling it is purportedly a vibe enthusiast and likes to fix up cars to sell as a hobby. And he has done quite a bit of maintenance on this car.

The listing says 153k miles. But looking at the carfax, the last recorded mileage before that was two owners ago in 2019 at 146k at an oil change place. And it looks like owner #4 drove it about 10k miles a year.

I tried looking at past titles but Michigan exempt reporting the odometer for older cars and owner #5 and 6 opted for the exemption when the title changed hands.
Carfax.png
Carfax.png (175.75 KiB) Viewed 242 times
Now it is possible that they parked it over covid for 3 years and sold it just last year, where it changed hands twice. But it's definitely possible that he swapped the cluster .

What do you guys think? Does the mileage look that weird to you?
Capt.Vibe

Re: About to buy a 2009 vibe, but a bit suspicious of the mileage

Post by Capt.Vibe »

After 6 owners I would look for something else. Average of one new owner every 2 years. Ask yourself why.
2010 Red Hot Metallic 1SA
JackWade

Re: About to buy a 2009 vibe, but a bit suspicious of the mileage

Post by JackWade »

I agree with above. Too many owners. Mileage is possible. I recently purchased a 2006 with 159k miles. It was only driven 4-5k miles in the preceding 2-3 years. In my case it was a single owner (technically 3 within same family).
Last edited by JackWade on Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.