Noise/Vibraation, Failure

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
muttleytm

Noise/Vibraation, Failure

Post by muttleytm »

I had a noise and vibration up until last night. It seemed to be coming from the right front. It wasn't a flat and I knew all the components on that side were new except the tie rod end. I was thinking maybe a wheel weight came off or a tire de-laminating. I mainly noticed it going straight, not clicking noises when turning, it didn't seem like a CV joint.

It seemed to get worse yesterday, particularly last night. As I got to my destination I had to turn the wheels to park. I could hear and feel a clicking and catching. So I guess it was a CV joint. I thought maybe I could limp home slowly. Things got progressively worse and ground to a halt. I called a two truck.

I then noticed the wheel on the left side was off the hub as if all the lug nets fell off only there were not studs at all. They all either got sheared off or pulled out. I don't know yet as it was late.

I can replace the axle on the right side easy enough and the steering knuckle hub on the left, but I'd like to know just what all caused this in case there are more issues. inside the transaxle, etc.

Any ideas?
andrewclaus

Re: Noise/Vibraation, Failure

Post by andrewclaus »

This happened to me once, on my first car. I neglected to properly torque the lug nuts after one of my first mechanic projects on the car. I caught it before the wheel actually came off on the highway. Three of bolts had sheared off. It was a rear wheel, so handling felt different than what you experienced. Lesson learned--check twice then check again.
muttleytm

Post by muttleytm »

Maybe it was two things. The CV joint on one side and all the vibration caused the lug nuts to get loose and then if the wheel got wobbly enough it may have pulled the studs out or sheared them off?

Other than being embarrassed because I would have been the one that didn't properly tighten down the lug nuts, months ago, I can live with that. I just so happen to have a new steering knuckle assembly for that side.

I was thinking the in the bad CV joint something broke and it just didn't want to turn and somehow that somehow may have caused the studs to shear off on the other side, but I can't quite picture how that might work.

I don't want to, but I can replace the knuckle and the half shaft. It's winter. I just want to know what all happened and how and if there is more somewhere else.
VIBIN5spd

Post by VIBIN5spd »

Have you looked underneath the car yet? Put eyes on it. Maybe the cv boot is open.

Jack it up and shake down the front end any play.

Look for grease around the cv boots.
VIBIN5spd

Post by VIBIN5spd »

Ooooo check the studs for signs of stretching. Maybe the lug nuts have been torqued too tight. I'd check all of them around the car.