New member 2009 Vibe 2.4L AWD

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
sarasvibe

New member 2009 Vibe 2.4L AWD

Post by sarasvibe »

Hi all!! Long time lurker but thought I'd finally get my act together and introduce myself and my Vibe :)

2009 Vibe 2.4 L AWD, dark blue with roof racks. Currently mileage 193k miles

Purchased the Vibe in 2012 from Chevy dealer as a lease return, approx 40K miles at the time. I lived in Utah at the time and my current car was a 2001 Saturn Coupe. Traded in my Saturn for the Vibe as I needed a vehicle that played nice in the snow and icy roads and at the time didn't have the budget for an Outback. Northern Utah is truck/SUV country and even used vehicles with a gazillion miles were expensive. But got a good price and financing for the Vibe and haven't looked back :)
Have been so pleased with it. Keep up on routine maintenance and it does use oil which from what I've learned on this site is very typical.

Got trailer hitch installed and made a couple of trips from Utah to CA in 2017 hauling small UHaul trailer (moved from Utah to CA-- tired of the darn cold winters). Ran very smooth hauling UHaul and not one problem.

The first time the display went all Christmas lights was a major freakout but thanks to you guys it was only time for new spark plugs. Local Jiffy Lube had expanded maintenance section and took care of it for me.
The past couple of years here in Cali has been mainly replacement of bits and pieces due to wear and tear. But no catastrophic repairs necessary. Driver side mirror replaced when partner backed his motorcycle into it. Replaced headlights as they hazed over and could not longer get them clear. Stepdaughter used it for a year to get back and forth to local college classes and job. Was a nice reliable car for her to us as she saved up money for her own car. Local Toyota dealer here huge help for maintenance as I live in a smaller town not close to a metro area.
HVAC cable broke, Toyota dealer fixed. One O2 sensor failed, Toyota dealer fixed.
Earlier this year (2023) heater core went out. Decided to replace it as really need the defrost in the winter and talking to coworkers learned it was a pain to replace. Both new and used cars insanely priced so decided to fix this and start saving up for another car... if I can limp around for a couple of years this would be the best. GM dealer gave me the best quote for repair. Big mistake. In replacing the heater core they broke more than they fixed and Vibe was hangar queen in their shop for over 3 months. Finally got tired of them and went to get my car. Only to find out that the Auto lights wouldn't turn off when the Vibe was shut off, and AC didn't work. It was a topic here that said just to shine a flashlight on the light sensor and that would turn the lights off. So did that. A couple months later Christmas lights back on the dash. Pulled the codes that pointed to MAF sensor and O2 sensor. Took to Toyota dealer to fix and asked them to check A/C and the Auto lights while it was there as they had to order the O2 sensor. Turned out A/C button was broken so I said yes please fix it. Nice that it was only button broken and no leak in the A/C. In the process of replacing the A/C button my Auto lights were magically fixed. :) So happy now :) $4k total in repairs this year for heater core, O2 sensor, MAF sensor, A/C button replacement. Heater core repairs did include new heater core and all new radiator hoses (including plastic T piece which was cracked) and radiator flush. Ouch on repair costs but right now better than cost of new car...

Oh yes...3 years ago left front CV boot replaced....local tire place replaced it for me at the same time I got new tires....

This year also one tire sensor went out... local tire place said if I bought three sensors get one free plus free install... cant beat that :)

So now just use the Vibe for short work commute/run around town + Pick up horse feed and work around horse barn..AWD is nice for the bumpy dirt road I travel daily to see my horse, plus also when it is wet and muddy. Nicer new car can stay home and stay cleaner. at 193k miles not sure if I trust it for long road trips but with the cost of new/used vehicles still insanely high will probably keep it until it dies.. :)

And just for giggles--the back cargo area with rear seats folded can hold 3-50 pound bales of hay....and I have hauled 600 pounds of horse feed--12-50 pound bags :) you don't want to know how long it took me to clean out the Vibe after the hay transport.

This forum has been a lifesaver in so many ways in helping me keep my Vibe rolling :) :) Thanks a bunch guys :)

vibe2.jpg
vibe2.jpg (258.89 KiB) Viewed 1356 times
Sara
2009 Vibe 2.4L AWD, 193K miles
CA, USA
tpollauf

Re: New member 2009 Vibe 2.4L AWD

Post by tpollauf »

Welcome to GenVibe and thanks for the detailed introduction. Sorry to hear you have one of the 2.4L oil burners. My son's 2009 Vibe Gt also is an oil burner and tonight I finally changed the oil after close to 7000 miles on it. During the 14 months it accrued those miles, I've added roughly 4 quarts :o . According to Toyota, as long as these 2.4L engines burn one quart over no less than 1200 miles, you're in the comfort zone and considered normal! We have to keep an eye on it unfortunately which is a bit of a hassle. At least we know his oil warning light DOES work as he's had it come on from time to time during sudden stops OR sharp turning while a couple quarts low. His has 160k miles on it and very few repairs have been made on it since we acquired it back in 2011. You'll easily get 300k miles out of it, SO keep it for a few more years or longer!
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
sarasvibe

Re: New member 2009 Vibe 2.4L AWD

Post by sarasvibe »

Encouraging to know that I can possibly get 300k miles out of it!! Will keep a closer watch on how much oil it uses... I'm pretty diligent on changing oil every 4-5K miles and just top off when it starts getting a bit low... I check oil weekly at work as I have a nice level parking lot which is so handy.

One of the things I was possibly considering was new paint... had the front hood and roof repainted a few years back but clearcoat is starting to fail in other areas...it is pricy to repaint if there was the probably of it not lasting much longer but now I am encouraged that I can get alot more time out of it!! So will see...
Sara
2009 Vibe 2.4L AWD, 193K miles
CA, USA