Almond smelling vapor coming from dashboard

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
SeANMcBAY

Almond smelling vapor coming from dashboard

Post by SeANMcBAY »

Today I was waiting in line to get gas with the car (2010 Vibe) idling with the ac (it’s very hot here in summer) on. Suddenly I started to smell something like burst almonds almost and noticed white vapors seeping in from the dashboard, but not through the ac vents. They were coming more from where the door closes on the left side. I also suddenly noticed that the power to my front passenger window suddenly stopped working as I tried to open all 4 windows to clear the smell out. What could the issue be? My Vibe has about 150000 miles on it and I do have code p0505 coming from my engine that I plan to address very soon. Is it possibly related to that or some electrical issue?

I tried driving the car again for a bit hours later and I didn’t get any more vapor, I did start to get faint hints of that smell again.
joatmon

Re: Almond smelling vapor coming from dashboard

Post by joatmon »

P0505 seems to be related to the engine idle control circuit, don't see how that could be related to either the power window or mist/smell issues.

I don't know what would cause a burst (burnt?) almonds. At some point when the engine is cold and not running, pop the hood, take the cap off the radiator, and see if the inside smells like what you get inside the car

Also, for any vent smell related issue, it usually a good idea to check the cabin air filter and replace it if it looks nasty

Is the front passenger floor damp?

On the window issue, does it work if you use the control on the passenger door?
SeANMcBAY

Post by SeANMcBAY »

I checked the radiator and coolant is at maximum with no visible leaks. No damp floors and I recently just changed the cabin filter.

I really think it was some kind of electrical short since I can’t operate that window from either side and I just took off the window switch panel to look what’s under there and I totally got a big whiff of that smell again in the door panel. The wires connected to the door look good but I’m thinking there’s a possible short with these wires somewhere. Any idea on my next step?
SeANMcBAY

Post by SeANMcBAY »

Also the switch for the passenger window on the driver’s side started to feel a little weird physically before this all happened. Is it easy to take it off once I pull out the switch assembly without breaking it? It feels like something is stuck under there.
SeANMcBAY

Post by SeANMcBAY »

Oh my god I actually figure it out. It was this that burned under the switch panel on the driver’s side door. Already ordered a replacement.
Attachments
IMG_7141.jpeg
IMG_7141.jpeg (216.32 KiB) Viewed 2461 times
IMG_7140.jpeg
IMG_7140.jpeg (226.2 KiB) Viewed 2461 times
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

nice find and weird failure

I must have gone european, read you say it was on the left side, somehow I thought passenger side
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Can't believe this one went right over my head. This is one of the few recalls that our 2009-10 Vibes were part of. DO NOT PURCHASE THIS PART !!!!!!! it is a recalled item that the dealer will replace. This article explains it ...... https://www.autoblog.com/2015/10/21/toy ... ch-recall/

Although they do NOT list the Pontiac Vibe, they do list the Toyota Matrix and they're the same thing. Not sure what recall it is under the Pontiac Vibe BUT it is definitely a recalled repair!
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Here's the original post on when this recall came out ................. viewtopic.php?p=480708&hilit=Power+mast ... ll#p480708

SeANMcBAY

Post by SeANMcBAY »

Oh wow. Thank you. I’ll call my Toyota dealer tomorrow.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

SeANMcBAY wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:16 pm Oh wow. Thank you. I’ll call my Toyota dealer tomorrow.
Toyota will not do recall work on a Pontiac Vibe

GM is still responsible for that, even though the Pontiac brand is dead.

Look up your VIN at https://experience.gm.com/ownercenter/recalls

THe recall says its for 2009 VIbes. I do not see anywhere that says it also covers the 2010's

Here is a link to the recall https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2012/R ... 1-6798.pdf

Seems like it deals with your issue
The switches that control the passenger's windows in the PWMS assembly may overheat and possibly cause a fire.

nice catch tpollauf!
SeANMcBAY

Post by SeANMcBAY »

Ah thanks, I’ll contact them then.
SeANMcBAY

Post by SeANMcBAY »

I looked up my vin and it says that repair was done in 2015. Surely I’m out of luck then that they’d fix it again, right?
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Makes you wonder if it was REALLY done or not. Some of these simple recalls are so simple that one could not do a thing, and check that it was performed. Adding grease to the master power window switch(s) makes you wonder .... just how much grease? On all switches or just the driver front express? All four sides inside & out? Where do you draw the line??? In your case there clearly was a different problem and it NEVER got properly addressed. Yeah, you're probably screwed :twisted:

joatmon

Post by joatmon »

looks like the switch is available lots of places, the part numbers look like

19204262 - GM
8482002240 - Toyota

I wouldn't buy a used one. New ones that claim to be equivalent to the toyota part are under $40 on amazon, so if you can't get a free replacement, at least $40 is not bankruptcy