Adding ac compressor oil help

Technical info on the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix including do-it-yourself info
mntn-biker

Adding ac compressor oil help

Post by mntn-biker »

I just replaced my clutch on my ac compressor. I was forced to remove the pressure lines from the compressor so I could R/R the clutch on my workbench. Not much oil came out of the compressor overnight while on the bench. My question is, how do I know how much PAG 46 oil I need to add in my system after re-installing the compressor and pressure lines? I've read 2.5-3oz. That much definitely did not drain out into my pan. If I put 2.5oz in and this ends up to be too much oil in the system, is this a problem?
2003 base model
joatmon

Re: Adding ac compressor oil help

Post by joatmon »

In the other thread ( viewtopic.php?t=46682 ) I had posted that the factory service manual said to only add whatever oil came out. The internet seems to say that too much oil will reduce the ability of the system to exchange heat, reducing the cooling power/efficiency. I'd take a shot at guessing how much dripped out when you pulled the compressor, and add some to guess how much escaped when you let the refrigerant out and however much you think will come out when you vacuum the system. I realize that's not really any practical help but hopefully someone with AC experience will chime in