replacement for a Vibe

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
jeff_j1701

replacement for a Vibe

Post by jeff_j1701 »

Hello all!

I'm not sure which topic this should be in.

I have an '07 Vibe and it won't last forever unfortunately.

I've always been partial to GM (GM factory in my city) but after the Vibe, I am partial to Toyota because of the superior engine.

The Vibe is a good size, as I drive a lot for work and I want a fuel-efficient car.

What do you think about the Chevy Trax?
'07 Vibe, over 300 000km
SSizler

Re: replacement for a Vibe

Post by SSizler »

I think GM cars are money pits after 50K miles.
I've had a few that prove me right.
I would stay in the Toyota / Lexus family myself.
If you are buying new I would look at the Corolla Cross or Corolla wagon.
The Cross has more room if you are a large person.
If you are buying used, I would search the country for a low mileage Vibe and buy that.
A lot of folks like the Subaru.
They are not for me.
Hopefully someone has a better answer...... 8-)
2003 Vibe Base/ Frosty White Mono/ Total Loss 1-23
2006 Vibe AWD/ Lava Red Mono/ Loaded w/Leather and Sport Pkg/ 150k mi
2006 Vibe Base/ Stealth Gray Mono/ Loaded w/Leather/ 180k mi
40 years with a wonderful woman / 2 adult kids
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

I haven't been looking at available cars for a bit now, but one thing I saw doing a quick check was that the Trax is supposedly rated at 32 mpg highway (7.35 l/100km) where the Corolla hatchback is rated at 41 mpg highway (5.74 l/100km)

I don't know if an EV fits your circumstances, but that seems to be the way things are going.

When I started looking at new cars a few years ago, I went to lots of dealerships to see them in person, so that I could rule some out based on my personal criteria. The risk with this approach is that the more you check out new cars, the more subconscious pressure will build to actually buy a new one. Especially when you see all the tech they've added in the 16 years since your Vibe was built. And each year you wait to buy new, the more new tech will be there.

I don't know how your winter roads are up there, if AWD is needed
jeff_j1701

Post by jeff_j1701 »

joatmon wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:54 am I haven't been looking at available cars for a bit now, but one thing I saw doing a quick check was that the Trax is supposedly rated at 32 mpg highway (7.35 l/100km) where the Corolla hatchback is rated at 41 mpg highway (5.74 l/100km)

I don't know if an EV fits your circumstances, but that seems to be the way things are going.

When I started looking at new cars a few years ago, I went to lots of dealerships to see them in person, so that I could rule some out based on my personal criteria. The risk with this approach is that the more you check out new cars, the more subconscious pressure will build to actually buy a new one. Especially when you see all the tech they've added in the 16 years since your Vibe was built. And each year you wait to buy new, the more new tech will be there.

I don't know how your winter roads are up there, if AWD is needed
I thought about an EV but I'm not totally convinced that the battery will hold up well in the Canadian winters.

I thought about a RAV4 hybrid, as I still have faith in an ICE engine and I won't have to rely totally on the battery.

I don't know why, but I never thought about the Corolla hatchback; I really should.

And my truck has 4 WD and I wouldn't really need it for my car.

Thanks!!
'07 Vibe, over 300 000km
jeff_j1701

Post by jeff_j1701 »

SSizler wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:40 am I think GM cars are money pits after 50K miles.
I've had a few that prove me right.
I would stay in the Toyota / Lexus family myself.
If you are buying new I would look at the Corolla Cross or Corolla wagon.
If you are buying used, I would search the country for a low mileage Vibe and buy that.
A lot of folks like the Subaru.
They are not for me.
Hopefully someone has a better answer...... 8-)
I would probably buy new, as I put quite a few km's on my car for my job.

DAMN GM FOR KILLING PONTIAC!! :)

I wish the Vibe moved into the Chevy family. But then again...we wouldn't get the Toyota engine.
'07 Vibe, over 300 000km
Ofhs93

Post by Ofhs93 »

Find a low mileage Vibe…get the radio replaced with a modern Bluetooth equipped unit with microphone wired up and be happy lol.
Houston

Post by Houston »

I am among the many who wish Pontiac was still around. But it isn't. And the day will come when our Vibes get so old that getting another one will no longer be recommended. If my Vibe was totaled tomorrow, God forbid, I would not replace it with another Vibe that would be at least 13 years old. I've been keeping an eye on the new Chevy Trax and took one for a test drive a few weeks ago. For the money, it is definitely an impressive vehicle. My first choice would be a new Trax. Second choice would be a new Trailblazer. Next in line are the new little Buicks. I hope my Vibe lasts forever so I don't have to fuss with all the new-fangled equipment on today's new cars.
2009 Base 2.4L with a few add-ons.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Houston wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:56 am My first choice would be a new Trax. Second choice would be a new Trailblazer. Next in line are the new little Buicks. I hope my Vibe lasts forever so I don't have to fuss with all the new-fangled equipment on today's new cars.
My daughter bought a 2021 Trailblazer a couple years ago (Jan 2021) and it's an pretty nice little car. The tech is pretty impressive, especially for someone who drives a 2004 or 2005 Vibe every day. I think the Vibe has more cargo space despite being smaller overall.
'08 Base Stealth, '05 Base Satellite
Vikingjedi

Post by Vikingjedi »

With my ABS sensor dying I've been looking around. Right now possibly a 2018 Honda CRV or RAV4. Cars are crazy expensive with this inflation so I'm hoping I can keep my Vibe. Its part of the family.
jeff_j1701

Post by jeff_j1701 »

Thanks all!!

I really hope my Vibe lasts a long time, but I know it's probably closer to the end of it's life than the beginning of it. :(

I really like the Chevy Trax, Toyota RAV4 or the Toyota Cross.

Hopefully I won't have to make a decision for many years. :)
'07 Vibe, over 300 000km
Mark

Post by Mark »

Right now I'm getting all the miles I can out of Frosty. At 209k miles I just replace the right front wheel bearing, and the left probably only has a few thousand left on it. I replaced the A/C condenser just a month or so ago, and the front rotors and calipers a few months before that. And the struts a couple years ago when I got it back from our daughter. It's starting to get expensive to own it, but I'm kind of attached at this point.

Meanwhile Silver stays in the garage and only gets a few thousand miles a year, at about 125k now I'm hoping that once Frosty does kick it I'll have many more years at least of continued Vibeness.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Mark wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:40 pm
Meanwhile Silver stays in the garage and only gets a few thousand miles a year, at about 125k now I'm hoping that once Frosty does kick it I'll have many more years at least of continued Vibeness.
You're following the same vehicle path that I am! My 2004 Vibe GT (170k miles) is now my daily driver. The 2003 Vibe GT is still in the shop (only been five years :o ) and will someday get it fixed and either sell it, or keep for a spare. And finally the 2009 Vibe Gt, which I bought new in May of 2009, just turned over 40k miles and is slowly getting driven a bit more. Should ALWAYS have at least one reliable Vibe to drive for the next 10-20 years :lol:
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Mark

Post by Mark »

Well I guess I spoke too soon and likely jinxed myself. I was leaving a parking lot today when a truck pulled into the exit lane right in front of me, I reflexively dodged to the right but in doing so hit the bumper of a parked truck. Never even saw it as I was looking at the truck I though was about to cream me. Seemed like minor damage and speed was <10 mph, but I went by and had my body guy check it out and it's bad. Fixable, but bad. Right fender and headlight, but body frame and radiator support also bent. Finding the parts will be the hardest part, so depending what insurance offers I might go with the total on this one. I could buy it back and sell it for parts, haven't really decided on that yet. I don't have the time or will to part it out and ship stuff, but I could sell it as is I guess. Part of that calculation is how much of the $1700 A/C compressor and $500 wheel bearing insurance is willing to compensate for. A/C is <60 days and bearing is <14. Going to an estimate hopefully Monday.
jeff_j1701

Post by jeff_j1701 »

Ah that sux!!

How about trying to get the parts at a scrape yard?
'07 Vibe, over 300 000km
Mark

Post by Mark »

Finally got an estimate today, came in much lower than expected and insurance accepted it. So I get Frosty fixed I guess. Can't really believe that State Farm is paying $3k+ to fix a 2004 with 209k miles, but I'm not complaining either.

As regards to scrap yards, finding 1st gen Vibes in scrap yards is getting impossibly hard these days, at least locally. But the body shop says $200 for a new fender, so I don't know.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

That's good news! :D Post before & After pics if possible. We like to see progress here.

Mark

Post by Mark »

I ended up getting a second estimate that came in much higher than the first one. I figured out the first place gave me a low-ball initial estimate and would then submit a supplemental that would result in a total loss. But they would have got a payment from my insurance for the initial work at least.

So it's a total loss and after some back and forth, and submitting some comparison listings I'm getting about $3900 minus $500 deductible. For an 04 with 209k miles I guess it's not the worst thing. I took the bead leaking alloy wheels off Silver an put them on Frosty, also kept the double console lid and some other things. Wish I could salvage the new A/C compressor but I don't have time, they're taking it Monday. Thinking about the other issues it had make it easier. 1. An air bag light that I think replacing the dock sprint might fix, but don't know. 2. The vent actuator needs replaced or disabled. 3.The driver seat belt is frayed and should be replaced. 4. The cat is shot, and the double spark plug anti-foulers work for now, but....?

So after 17 years and 8 months, and 170k mostly trouble free miles, I'm parting ways with Frosty.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Hmmmm .... So will you be looking for another Vibe to replace frosty? Or 'throw the towel in" and get something totally different?

Mark

Post by Mark »

I haven't decided yet, but I'm not finding a lot of Vibe options on Craigslist or Autotrader. Sometimes I think that something newer with some of the electronic goodies might be nice, little things like Bluetooth enabled radio, led lights and adaptive cruise control.

Also thinking this might be the time to jump on the plug-in hybrid bandwagon. Just don't know yet, and I still have Silver as my daily driver. Right now I'm not sure if I'll ever get Stealth back from my son, he only puts a few thousand miles a year on it at most, but it's been a life saver for him and his SO so far.
Mark

Post by Mark »

So long Frosty, it's been a great ride. And thanks for all the fish.
ByeFrosty.gif
ByeFrosty.gif (113.77 KiB) Viewed 6036 times
jeff_j1701

Post by jeff_j1701 »

This is a sad sight.

Not as sad as seeing burnt bacon...but still a sad sight. :D
'07 Vibe, over 300 000km
Mark

Post by Mark »

This was a very sad moment for me, but burning the bacon is soul crushing
lexicon

Got a replacement for my Vibe

Post by lexicon »

Wellllll. I just got a new vehicle.... I still have the Vibe, its now got 255k almost trouble free miles. And, I am not quite prepared to let her go when asked by a family member.
I had intended to get a new vehicle when I hit 200k miles. I was gonna retire (from work) and the nice replacement vehicle would be my FIRST new car I ever purchased. Yeah, I dont need new cars, I was very fine w getting a 2-3 year old used vehicles for many new years .
Thanks to inflation and the covid and the chip crisis and the craziness of used car prices, I decided to not get a used car...why chance it for a few extra dollars over a used vehicle.
I ended up w a Rav4 hybrid.
the vehicle is nice, much faster than the Vibe, so many bells and whistles..... When someone asked when I was gonna get rid of the Vibe I told them I was gonna take it to my grave....and I am not in a rush.....
2005 VibeAutomaticStockNon AWD125 hp model
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

SSizler wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:40 am If you are buying new I would look at the Corolla Cross or Corolla wagon.
Well, I'm not replacing one of my Vibes BUT we are replacing the wife's G8GT. We decided on the 2024 Toyota Corolla Cross Hybrid XSE and should have on in our driveway in a month or so. Don't have the G8GT sold yet (will sell it privately if anyone out there is interested) but the wife needed something more economical, would hold her bike, and have no problems navigating the western NY terrain, where her elderly mother lives. I'll keep all posted when it arrives!

pwyu1969

Post by pwyu1969 »

I have loved all my Vibes, but I am now transitioning to the Mazda 3. I like the reliability and workability of them, and like the Vibe, have their own forums and tons of YouTube videos. I’ve also narrowed it down to the SkyActive motors which is an innovative high compression motor that gets 35MPG+ mixed mileage. I think 2012 only SOME of the touring 3’s have SkyActive, 2013 all of touring 3’s have SkyActive, and in 2014 all 3’s have SkyActive. I think the sweet spot for less expensive 3’s are 2014 to 2018 as in 2019+ they came out with a new model, and those are still pricy. I replaced my 2009 vibe with bad clutch with a 2012 Mazda 3. And when my son blew his clutch on his Red 2006 vibe this past February, we found a really nice 2014 hatchback with manual for $7000 (rebuilt title). I just sold my blue 2006 to a friend yesterday.

However, I do still have a Red 2006 and after all these years, I am finally going to try to replace the clutch with the help of a mechanic friend. So, I’ll still hanging out here, hopefully for a bit longer. But I must say, this has been such a wonderful online community that has saved me $1000s, as this has been one of the main reasons I’ve kept getting Vibes.
vibedrivermatt

Post by vibedrivermatt »

You could get a new corolla hatch. The 2022 year was the last of the manuals. man I missed those. They're still out there used rhough. The new ones all have CTV transmissions. They have a toyota 2.0l which is supposed to be pretty good. It actually has slightly higher power output than my old 2.4l vibe. I'm still driving my vibe and intend to find a new car soon too.

It seems nowadays compact cars like this have fallen a little out of favor over midsize SUVs. For me, I'll likely be sticking with the compact car thing. ;) Be sure to let is know what you decide on!

Goodluck. :)
Attachments
Screenshot_20240423_042314_Adobe Acrobat~2.jpg
Screenshot_20240423_042314_Adobe Acrobat~2.jpg (217.59 KiB) Viewed 292 times
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

vibedrivermatt wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:29 am It seems nowadays compact cars like this have fallen a little out of favor over midsize SUVs. For me, I'll likely be sticking with the compact car thing.

Yeah we somewhat looked at the Rav4, but was a bit on the bigger side for our needs. Lots of Rav4's out there too BUT very few Corrolla cross hybrids in the upper trim level, and even fewer in the Acidic blast two toned color, which we want. Should be able to get one in the next month or two.

vibedrivermatt

Post by vibedrivermatt »

tpollauf wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:16 pmYeah we somewhat looked at the Rav4, but was a bit on the bigger side for our needs. Lots of Rav4's out there too BUT very few Corrolla cross hybrids in the upper trim level, and even fewer in the Acidic blast two toned color, which we want. Should be able to get one in the next month or two.
Nice. Well if you go for a toyo again, you know it should last as long as the vibe.