Beware 09-10 Vibe owners or What's wrong with this pic?

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
GammaFlat

Beware 09-10 Vibe owners or What's wrong with this pic?

Post by GammaFlat »

Vibe rotor and pads.jpg
Vibe rotor and pads.jpg (52.39 KiB) Viewed 494 times
It seems someone installed 2.4 liter calipers instead of 1.8 liter calipers on my 09 Vibe before I bought it. That may sound funny but if you look up parts for the 1.8 and 2.4 liter versions of the 09-10 Vibe, you'll find that the calipers, rotors and pads are different. The 2.4 liter version of the car has larger rotors and calipers that move the brake pad out about a third of an inch.

The larger rotors have a different lug pattern?! I'm scratching my head thinking I should change the hub/bearing to match the rotor. Then I'm thinking my wheels won't fit. I wound up on one of the parts sites to compare photos of the different calipers. Based on the pics I figured out that the caliper had the piston positioned further out from the mounting holes. Eureka! Not only did someone put the wrong calipers on the car before I bought it.. but to add to my confusion the parts store sold me the "2.4 version" of the rotors. What a "why me" moment :shock: . This may sound like it was easy to figure out but it had me confused for a while.

Installing the new rear calipers (100 bucks each) was much easier than I expected. I gravity bleed them for a while and finally lost patience and had someone gently push the brake an inch at a time until I was satisfied the bubbles were done. Brakes now work better than ever. If anyone wants/needs more info on this or how all this went, I'd be happy to oblige.

Everything went smoothly on the front.
joatmon

Re: Beware 09-10 Vibe owners or What's wrong with this pic?

Post by joatmon »

wild pic, kinda scary too. Its more important that car be able to stop than be able to go.

Good troubleshooting. I'd be baffled if I found that on a car.

Bleeding brakes without a helper is a pain. I once had to macguyver something with lumber and ropes. Glad you found a helper
tpollauf

Re: Beware 09-10 Vibe owners or What's wrong with this pic?

Post by tpollauf »

interesting find and glad you got it corrected. All 09-10 Vibes with the BIGGER 2.4L engine as an option, were factory supplied with the larger brake system. In theory, a bigger motor means more curb weight, faster acceleration and top speeds, and brake components need to be bigger to safely bring said vehicle to a complete stop! All first gen Vibes (2003-08) had the same 1.8L engine so only one size braking system was needed for all those models.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"