Car battery disconeccts power when it slides forward

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
Islander

Car battery disconeccts power when it slides forward

Post by Islander »

I recently had my timing chain replaced but a code was still up so I un hooked my battery cables to try and clear the code. I accidentally touched metal and it arced and the head lights came on. Well now when the battery slides forward because the tie down rod for the battery keep coming loose my car battery disconnects. I got trapped in my car the other day and could not get out! I was able to flag down a person, my car hood pops with out power so he could push my battery back so I had power and could get out, very dangerous!! Any ideas on how to fix and for anyone in my scenario how to get out with out power!
joatmon

Re: Car battery disconeccts power when it slides forward

Post by joatmon »

welcome to genvibe

A first step would be to figure out and solve the problem where the battery tie down keeps coming loose. Could be it just needs to be tightened, or the hooked bottom of the rod isn't connecting where it should, that hole for the rod can be hard to see.

Not sure what fault in the battery cables cause the battery shift to disconnect power . If the battery shifting and resultant power disconnect started when the timing chain was replaced, then go back to whoever did that repair and they should deal with it for free.

I assume you have power locks, and the problem of being stuck in the car is from not being able to use them to unlock the car when there's no power. Sorry if this seems condescending, bu there is a manual, mechanical button to unlock the doors on the inside. It's just above and part of the same assembly as the handle you pull on the door inside to open the unlocked door. If you can't identify that button, look at that part of the door when you use the electrical button to lock and unlock the door, you will see it move. Now, if you already knew that and for some reason that doesn't unlock the door, then there must be something broken inside the door.
Islander

Re: Car battery disconeccts power when it slides forward

Post by Islander »

Hello, yes I found it after the fact, (manual lock) in my panic I over looked it as it was all black and blended in with the door! :?
The battery disconnect, I don't know if it's the shop's fault or mine as I did try the code clearing later that evening and did arc something! I have it locked in place again but I think there is a wire damaged to do that, I will have a look on my days off with some electrical tape. The mechanic actually told me to do the spark plugs as soon as I could as one of the plugs needed prying out! I have the new spark plugs and the new engine ignition coils are on the way. It defiantly idles rough now ( small vibration as it probably is miss firing! I also have a new variable valve solenoid on the way which looks easy to replace but could be really bad if it breaks off! My whole goal was to stop the cough it was doing when it first starts which got worse over the years. I replaced the the spark plugs a few times cleaned the mass air flow, engine throttle plate, replace fuel injectors, pcv valve, valve cover gasket.
I'll have to post again after I do the ignition coils and variable valve solenoid.