Replacing Brake Lines from Back All the Wy to the Proportioning Valve

Technical info on the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix including do-it-yourself info
muttleytm

Replacing Brake Lines from Back All the Wy to the Proportioning Valve

Post by muttleytm »

I had the rear metals lines on both sides rust out. I figured I'd replace the short rubber hose sections too. However the fitting from there to the front of the cars all also corroded and the flare wrench just rounds off the fitting.

So I'd like to replace the section that goes to the proportioning valve. The dealer has the OEM one has all the bends and such. So I have ordered them.

I am just working under a car up an jack stands. There isn't a lot of room. I'm not sure I will be able to to install the OEM lines from under the car particularly without removing the gas tank.

I'm thinking I might be able to use the OEM line as a model though and make up several sections of line that fit together and use a flaring tool on, or maybe just cut the new OEM line at places and flare it. I think the former would be better than the latter as I can probably return the OEM parts if they are intact. The bulk line is a lot cheaper.

Has anyone done this or have any recommendations on how best to proceed.