Turn Signal Relay Issue

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
JaspieMeow

Turn Signal Relay Issue

Post by JaspieMeow »

Hey guys! :D

2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L Base here! Lifelong Pontiac Enthusiast. My driver side front turn signal works when I turn the car on after it's been sitting all night. I get one normal use out of it, then I get the hyper flash. The bulb then stops lighting completely. There's nothing wrong with the bulb. When it is not hyperflashing the bulb works just fine. I went to AutoZone and got a new turn signal relay. When I put the new turn signal relay in, none of the turn signals work. The hazards don't work, none of the turn signals do anything when I put in the new relay. So, I bought another brand new turn signal relay. No hazards, no turn signals, no blinking, no hyperflashing, nothing. :evil: When I put the old relay back in everything works but the driver side front turn signal. :roll: I don't know why the two new relays would produce no results at all. I don't know why if there's no problem with the bulb, I'm getting the hyper flash response. Any ideas? :?:

Thanks guys!

Amy Jo :mrgreen:
SSizler

Re: Turn Signal Relay Issue

Post by SSizler »

Welcome to the site.

It sounds like they gave you an incorrect relay twice?
Did all the part numbers match between the semi-working and non-working relay units?
Are you sure you got the replacement unit connections fully seated?
Very strange.
2003 Vibe Base/ Frosty White Mono/ Total Loss 1-23
2006 Vibe AWD/ Lava Red Mono/ Loaded w/Leather and Sport Pkg/ 150k mi
2006 Vibe Base/ Stealth Gray Mono/ Loaded w/Leather/ 180k mi
40 years with a wonderful woman / 2 adult kids
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

The hyper flash would be because there's not enough resistance on the circuit, which would indicate either a problem with the bulb or the wiring to the bulb. designed that way so you can tell there's an issue. You say the bulb is good, so I assume you either replaced it with a new one or switched it with the passenger side and the problem stayed with the drivers side. Check the bulb socket for corrosion, and the socket and wires to see if there has been any signs of damage or overheating
JaspieMeow

Post by JaspieMeow »

Once I used the connector grease for the relay and the bulb the hyperFlash issue cleared up. It was just a matter of faulty connectors. Thanks for all the advice guys!!
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Nice!. Always great to hear when a problem is resolved. Thanks for letting us know