09 Vibe, Engine Rattle/Ping at Low RPM

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
09BlueVibe

09 Vibe, Engine Rattle/Ping at Low RPM

Post by 09BlueVibe »

Hello All, new to the board!

I have a 2009 Vibe, 2.4 Liter FWD with about 108k on the odometer. Recently, I have been hearing a light tin-type rattle seemingly coming from my engine bay during acceleration only at lower RPMs and at low gear (usually at initial acceleration from a stop). This has been happening after the car has warmed up, after about 10-15 minutes of drive time. It goes away at higher rpm’s and highway usage. I have never heard this noise at idle.

A few other things about this car…have owned it for about 60-65k miles, changed the oil about every 3k since I owned it. It recently started burning oil, which I monitor about every 500 miles or every 2 tanks of gas. Also, I have ruled out a rattle of the heat shield.

From what I can find on videos of similar noises, it sounds like a spark knock or engine pinging. Has anyone else had these issues, and have you been able to resolve them?

Thanks in advanced for your guidance!
SSizler

Re: 09 Vibe, Engine Rattle/Ping at Low RPM

Post by SSizler »

Welcome to the site.
If it is spark knock you first step / easiest solution is to try better fuel, such as non-ethanol premium.
The octane is usually down on winter blend fuel.
Have you checked ALL of your exhaust heat shields?
There are more than one, and they make the noise you describe.
Let us know what you find.
2003 Vibe Base/ Frosty White Mono/ Total Loss 1-23
2006 Vibe AWD/ Lava Red Mono/ Loaded w/Leather and Sport Pkg/ 150k mi
2006 Vibe Base/ Stealth Gray Mono/ Loaded w/Leather/ 180k mi
40 years with a wonderful woman / 2 adult kids