Looking for recommendations on performance

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
crunchyCoffee

Looking for recommendations on performance

Post by crunchyCoffee »

Hey I have an auto Vibe but I drive it like a stick shift with the gear limiter.

It tends to burn a lot of gas when I do that, cause I drive like a race car driver. With my winter tires here in Canada I'm drifting :lol:

I was wondering how to improve performance and efficiency when driving this way. It's almost as if I need paddle shifters. was wondering if there is a way to hack the computer and add paddle shifters. I used to drive F1 sims and it was brilliant.

Would it be worth upgrading the fuel pump?

Thanks for your recommendations, any comments would be welcome
SeattleJeremy

Re: Looking for recommendations on performance

Post by SeattleJeremy »

CrunchyCoffee, love the name. Thank you for joining GenVibe. What are your automotive goals? Given the limited aftermarket support for Vibe/Matrix/Corolla ask yourself are they attenable in this car?

I hate to break this to you, but the Vibe is not a race car. It was slow when it was new, and it's slower now.

To improve fuel economy leave the transmission in drive. F1 paddles are not available for the Vibe, and if they where it wouldn't make the 4-speed shift faster. It's a normal automatic designed for the corolla.

Upgrading the fuel pump will do nothing for performance, unless you where to also upgrade the ECU, the rest of the fuel system, and add forced induction. Which, on Toyota products (like the VIbe) are incredibly difficult to do.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

If you want to make your car faster. Realistically, adding a turbo is the only way to make a noticeable change (HP/TQ wise). Check out this recent Mighty car mods video on a Civic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aaHwXXCSWw

You can get a kit like this, with a T28 + computer + Injectors are going to cost $3300 (USD)
https://www.turbokits.com/tk-matrix-xr- ... o-kit.html
Note the part on the page: "The kit does not include fuel and engine management. If you do not already have a system and tuning planned, please select from the options or feel free to give us a call to go over things!"

They have AEM FIC and Injectors as "upgrades" but they are required to make it all work. Also, you will need upgrade your fuel pump.

Note1: None of this will improve fuel economy.
Note2: This kit was likely made for a Celica and it fitting your Vibe with an automatic gear box might not work.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
crunchyCoffee

Post by crunchyCoffee »

Excellent responses, thank you all so much.

I have recently purchased a race car for a metaverse game (think ready player one)

I will get my need for speed fulfilled virtually.

The vibe is speedy if you keep the RPMs around 6000. I have quite a special relationship with my Vibe, it's seen me through some crazy times

I feed it synthetic oil and premium fuel to compensate for the abuse i give it.

Mush love

- Crunchy