Limp Mode Until TCS Turned Off - No CEL!

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
philbo

Limp Mode Until TCS Turned Off - No CEL!

Post by philbo »

I just got a 2009 Vibe AWD with 150,000 miles for my son. Overall car is in great shape but has one thing I need to sort out. When you start it, there are no CEL's on the dash. But...the car will only drive in Limp mode until you press the little switch to turn off traction control system. Then it drives no problem and the little yellow light for traction system shows up on the dash.

Since it's not throwing any CEL codes...where should I start on diagnosing this?

Would it be a wheel sensor or should I look at replacing the PCM? Anywhere else to look?

Thanks for any help that can be provided.

Phil
jolt

Re: Limp Mode Until TCS Turned Off - No CEL!

Post by jolt »

Start by having it scanned for chassis codes or C- codes and for wheel sensor input signals. Your common (cheap) reader will not read C codes. A scanner is needed, not just a code reader.

There is a TSB out on the second gen Vibe for rear wheel speed sensor cable connections. The cable connections at the wheel sensor and at the wheel well can get corroded, causing loss of signal from the wheels. The cables need to be cleaned or replaced if bad.
philbo

Post by philbo »

Thanks. I brought it to a shop to have checked out.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

I too was going to jump in here and suggest it be a corrosion factor of some sort BUT we have no idea of where this Vibe spent most of it's life or where you're located. My son's 2009 Vibe Gt has had intermittent problems similar to yours but never had "limp mode" take place. He gets what he calls "Christmas trees" on the dash display every now & then as a result from corroded wheel sensors.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
philbo

Post by philbo »

It very well could be corrosion as there is a bit of rust as I’m in Michigan.
philbo

Post by philbo »

So, there are no C codes either…hmmm.