2010 Vibe - Over/High Voltage Fallout…

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
elliedan

2010 Vibe - Over/High Voltage Fallout…

Post by elliedan »

Our 2010 Vibe just came down with problems, and I’d appreciate insight and/or condolences… 😅

My daughter drove the car to/from school and mentioned the power steering had gotten weak at about halfway through, each way. I figured it might have a PS pump leak (not realizing 2nd Gens have EPAS and our ‘03 was hydraulic) and let her take the car last night without checking it out… Face, meet palm.

On her way home last night, she said the battery light came on (I’m immediately thinking alternator), the added that “some light with letters like V—T—something” come on. “VCT?” Yep, she confirmed that was it, then also mentioned the headlights went out just before she turned into the driveway, and that the steering was “really tough”.

I was still thinking of a low-battery and/or alternator failure, since the car refused to start—or even crank—and since I’d previously replaced the alternator on my sister’s ‘03 Vibe after an under voltage problem. To my surprise, the constant-positive (output) lead at the alternator was reading 19+ volts. I verified the same at the battery, and it started to come together a bit once I realized there was power at the headlights (when turned on) but the *LED* bulbs I had installed last fall had fried from the overvoltage.

I unplugged the battery to hopefully avoid any further damage, but left it at this state as the temperature outside was dropping quickly and my heated garage is full of a torn-down Kubota and an in-progress four-wheeler carb rebuild.

With this chain of events in mind, how screwed do you think I am here? I’m assuming now that the voltage regulator in the alternator gave up, but I’m open to other insights. Also, how tolerable do you think the ECU, VCT, power steering, etc. systems are to this excessively high voltage?

Danno in SD
Username: elliedan
jolt

Re: 2010 Vibe - Over/High Voltage Fallout…

Post by jolt »

I would thing that at 19+ volts, you would have boiled the acid out of the battery. You should have acid all over the top of the battery from the excessive charging. Anything above 16 volts can cause damage to the system. If the regulator can not sense the voltage in the system, or senses low voltage, it will make the alternator put out full power. You may have wiring issue if that is the case. Did you check for AC voltage leaks? A bad diode in the alternator will cause AC voltage to leak into the system and can mess up voltage readings and damage other electrical items too.
elliedan

Post by elliedan »

Appreciate the response, bolt. AC voltage was also around 20v, so it’s likely the voltage regulator and/or the aged battery.

We picked this Vibe up a couple months back from an older lady who had stopped driving altogether and parked the car. It seems like quite a find, as she had EVERYTHING meticulously maintained at the dealership (which her father had owned.

The battery did not boil over. That said, it appears to be the —factory— installed battery; if so, it’s 13+ years old and may have been drying out.

For what it’s worth I just went ahead with a rebuilt alternator. The many ‘Yotas I’ve owned have routinely needed the alternator replaced between 80k - 100k, so it seemed like it would be due. I was unable (or unwilling) in chasing it down with a load of testing as my shop is full of other projects, and all the work was out in -20F winds…

Picked up a replacement battery this morning, and now just hoping to there won’t be much damage/fallout from the overcharging…
elliedan

Post by elliedan »

In case someone else deals with this, it turns out the electrics are pretty resilient. The new alternator and battery did the trick, and nothing else seems to have been damaged. Heck, even the LED headlamps—which I thought had been fried—are working again and must have been in some sort of protective cutout. The power steering, HVAC, ECM, etc. have all returned to normal operation, thankfully!