Camshaft position sensor, 3 terminal

Technical info on the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix including do-it-yourself info
AceBoyd93

Camshaft position sensor, 3 terminal

Post by AceBoyd93 »

This one has me stumped. 09 Base 1.8 210k miles. Code 0340, Camshaft position sensor. 4 trips to the parts store and a call to Toyota and GM both, No answers. Everyone is showing a 2 terminal CPS but mine has 3. I'm trying to find a replacement but the old one has no part number, just "Japan Denso" or something like that. I ordered a repair manual but have little hope that it will show the 3 terminal CPS. I was hoping to get the test parameters from the manual. I did test the 3 wires from the ECM, ground is good, one wire has 4-5 volts and the third wire reads zero. When first tested it had the same 4-5 volts as the other wire, now I have zero. That would imply a bad connection from the ECU but the wires are bundled and loomed quite well. I changed the plugs recently so wonder if I may have compromised a wire in the harness? That's possible I suppose but Id rather have the specs for my CPS before I go diving into my wiring harness. Anyone had this issue? I searched but found nothing but thought it worth a shot. I suppose a bad ECU may be the culprit but I assume that I would have far more than one code? I haven't logged on here in years but my girl has been running just fine so not much need! Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
joatmon

Re: Camshaft position sensor, 3 terminal

Post by joatmon »

That's a weird one. I looked for CPS on autozone's website, and for a 1.8L 2009 Vibe, they offered
https://www.autozone.com/engine-managem ... 239672_0_0
which is a 2 pin CPS

but when I looked for a 1.8L 2009 Matrix, it offered
https://www.autozone.com/engine-managem ... 910177_0_0
which is a 3 pin CPS

So if the CPS in your car looks like the one autozone has for a Matrix, then maybe try that one. Unfortunately, its a $66 gamble.
AceBoyd93

Post by AceBoyd93 »

BINGO! Thank you so much! I called Toyota and they showed a 2 terminal CPS! Since you so graciously tracked down a part number I ordered one from RockAuto for $23. For that price I'll take my chances. Ordered a service manual from eBay but it wont arrive until Friday. I'd still like to test the current sensor and the wires feeding it from the ECU. From my admittedly limited experience, when an ECU goes bad it throws numerous codes. The only code I'm showing is the CPS. The other possibility is a bad wire in the harness and after seeing the wad of wires coming out of the computer I'm hoping for the best! lol Sorry for the late reply. My password program isn't cross platform so I couldn't log in from my phone. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again!!
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Hey Ace. Let us know when you get your service manual(s). I'm curious if they are the identical THREE volume set that I purchased 14 years ago when I got my 2009 Vibe GT.

2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
AceBoyd93

Post by AceBoyd93 »

I actually ordered the Haynes Repair Manual. I did a quick search for your set and no dice. Ebay shows another GM set for that model year, over 170 bucks! I'm guessing those are far more comprehensive than the Haynes manual. I'm just hoping they have the technical specs for testing my camshaft Position Sensor. If my replacement CPS doesn't sort it then things get far more complicated. I REALLY don't want to dig into the wiring harness. Fingers crossed!
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

AceBoyd93 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:40 pm I'm just hoping they have the technical specs for testing my camshaft Position Sensor.
Let me know if you need me to look up what may be in "my manuals" to compare what is in the Haynes manual. Due to the drastic model changes between Gen1 & Gen2 Vibes, my three set has several errors due to them NOT removing data from the first Gen Vibes. Good luck! ;)

AceBoyd93

Post by AceBoyd93 »

Well...it would be interesting to see if your factory manuals have a 2 or 3 terminal CPS listed. Possibly both? And do they have the testing procedure listed? I mainly need the voltage specs for each wire and any resistance figures between the terminals. I've seen them listed for other CPSs but not my oddball.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Hey Ace! Got some time on my hands and willing to help you out. Below are some snapshots from my set of manuals about your problems. Hope some of this information helps you out. Interesting that there is both an intake AND exhaust cam sensor (makes sense seeing how there are two cams) and different codes for either one. Your code definitely is for the intake cam sensor only. I'm going to separate the pics due to size and descriptions. Good luck ;)

tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Now onto the wiring portion of your problem. Ladder diagram clearly shows both sensors being THREE wire !!!

Also the troubleshooting pages may be beneficial to you in solving the problem. Good Luck ;)

AceBoyd93

Post by AceBoyd93 »

Wow! Excellent!! That will allow me to determine if my wiring harness and factory CPS is functional. I'm praying to the wiring Gods that its the CPS and not the harness or ECU. Can't thank you enough for providing this. I'll definitely report back when I complete the testing, hopefully with a happy Vibe idling in the background! :D :D
AceBoyd93

Post by AceBoyd93 »

Great news! I tested the wiring and no problems there. There was a brief moment of panic as I got nothing on terminal 3 at first. I had to utilize the old "stab the pin through the wire" trick and I didn't have a good connection. I wiggled things around and measured within the acceptable range. RockAuto used DHL for some strange reason and the clowns shipped my CPS right past me to hand it over to the USPS in NC. smh FedEx had my package here a couple of days before schedule but looks like DHL will be a couple of days behind. I'm not positive that the CPS is the problem but if the new one doesn't work I'll have to inspect the CPS cam, then the timing chain. High hopes that she'll be humming again roughly 5 minutes after the stupid part arrives. Again, HUGE thanks for the assistance and I'll report back when (or if!) I get my part.
AceBoyd93

Post by AceBoyd93 »

And not so great news. The Haynes manual had ZERO on testing the CPS. They provide none of the factory specs or troubleshooting procedure for the wiring harness. That could easily justify the cost of the factory manuals as I'm sure that's oft repeated with other systems. Makes me all the more appreciative for the good soul that provided me said info. Hoping my stupid part will arrive tomorrow.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

AceBoyd93 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:10 am Makes me all the more appreciative for the good soul that provided me said info.
Positive feedback is ALWAYS appreciated .... Thanks :D This Forum is one of the most friendliness ones out there in the cyberworld. Lets hope it remains active for MANY years ahead. Keep us informed on your progress ....................... Tim ;)

AceBoyd93

Post by AceBoyd93 »

Annnnnd...POO!!! lol New CPS finally arrived but still not running. It now cranks faster which is odd. Even with a new, fully charged battery it didn't crank very strong. Not sure what that could be but a potential timing issue? It did at least sputter and cough a few times so that's an improvement. When I clear the one code now, P0340, it will pop back up before I even crank the engine. Don't think I've ever seen that before. I could smell raw gasoline when I cranked it and assume that points to a timing issue? My neighbor asked about the fuel pump and I have my back seat removed so it's a simple matter of listening for the fuel pump to pressurize the lines but we hear nothing. Should I get a code for low fuel pressure, faulty fuel pump? I pulled the fuel pump harness and am getting around 11.5 volts to the pump but again, it's making no noise before start up. I'm wondering now if the PCM is failing but I thought for sure I'd get more codes. Thoughts?
AceBoyd93

Post by AceBoyd93 »

The frustration continues. I replaced the fuel pump and it will run now, sometimes. Still not priming the fuel lines when I turn the key. If I clear the codes they come back almost immediately. P0340, P0345 off and on, along with VSC light and a flashing VSC OFF light. Has anyone ever heard of having to "relearn" a new CPS when installed? I've never heard of such a thing but have seen some references to it online. I don't have the fancy, expensive scanner to do this but I would think that if the ECM was working properly then it would learn what it needs to on it's own. Just like it does when one removes the battery cable for a time. I think it may be time to break down and replace the ECM but I hate to shell out $250 if that's not the problem. Smdh
AceBoyd93

Post by AceBoyd93 »

Well Halla Freakin lujah! Finally figured out the problem. I was about a half second from ordering a new computer but decided to replace the CPS connector first. The tip off, if the car was running I could move the connector and the car would sputter and stall. Napa actually had it cheaper than anyone, I was shocked! $12 for the connector, one of the other auto parts stores sold it for 50! smdh I spliced in the new connector, cleared the codes and she runs like a top, no lights! Definitely wanted to preserve this for posterity. I'm surprised that I'm the first bloke to have this issue but hoping this will help others. I need to mention, I had to buy the CPS and connector by looking up 09 Toyota Matrix. Even the dealership that had my VIN number had the incorrect CPS listed in their records. They had a 2 terminal CPS listed and mine has 3. HUGE thanks for all the help!!
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

AceBoyd93 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:25 am Well Halla Freakin lujah! Finally figured out the problem.
Nice find and congrats on getting it fixed
SSizler

Post by SSizler »

Great to see your persistence paid off.
Congratulations!
2003 Vibe Base / Frosty Mono / Moon & Tunes / Auto / 206k mi / Total Loss 1-23
2006 Vibe AWD / Lava Mono / Loaded w/Leather and Sport Pkg / 150k mi
Many other 2 & 4 wheel toys :mrgreen:
40 years with a wonderful woman / 2 adult kids